PDA

View Full Version : Free 9 inch

ROBS6T8
05-14-2011, 05:11 PM
So I was looking over the 7 acres the other day and found a pick up bed that was used as a trailer for dump runs. I decided to haul to more suitable ground and remove the rear end. After a cuople of hours, I found a 9 inch with 3.25 gears, 31 spline axles and posi... according to the tag info! My question to you is, do I use it? It is 61" from mounting flange to mounting flange. The camaro is 60"? correct? I have an 8.2 10 bolt peg leg with 3.08. If it was a 8.5, I would keep it and build it up. What's going to be a better route to go? Easier? Cheaper? I know I'll have to reweld some mounts and I believe the pinion is going to be a bit off center. How much is okay? Then again when I take the third member out, it might not even be worth it. It's been sitting for some time but nothing was locked up. Should I just look for a 8.5 or 12 bolt? I have access to a 12 bolt for $800 but it too is a peg leg with 3.08.
Thanks for any input in this.

Yelcamino
05-14-2011, 07:11 PM
You should use it! Nice score!

ROBS6T8
05-15-2011, 07:33 AM
I agree it is a nice score. I'm just not too sure about how much money I need to sink into it to make it work. I could sell it and use the funds to build up my 8.2.... maybe. Or buy a bolt in unit. I'm not looking at too much hp. Maybe 500 max.