PDA

View Full Version : HEI vs External Coil Standard Distributor Non Points Type

DEIVIONCRX
05-03-2011, 01:20 PM
I have 0 parts for my ignition system, so i can go either direction. Is there any performance difference or major concerns picking HEI over a standard OE style Distributor with an External Coil or vice versa. I defiantly want a Rev Limiter no mater which system i end up with.

Both will be new upgraded parts:
HEI probably a Proform new HEI distributor with a Pertronix Igniter III module, or a Pertronix Billet Igniter III distributor and a Flamethrower III coil.

The car is a 1980 Trans Am, so it originally was a HEI car, its going to have a built Chevy Small Block and a TKO-600 5 Speed, revving to 7000rpm. End up setting the limit at 7200 rpm, more than likely.

I know the HEI is a bigger distributor in overall size, but a small block in a BOP engine bay space shouldn't be a big deal. I know the HEI minimizes wiring, but wiring isn't a big deal for me, coming from late model fuel injection. And with the conventional setup i have to mount the coil somewhere else extending the wiring and coil wire, but with that i can mount it away from heat and extend its life. The price difference is negligible $19 difference. So I'm at a impasse.

gearbanger
05-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I have a gutted HEI in a Pontiac with a MSD 6AL box. It has been pretty bullet proof for alot of years. I have an external coil and a cap adapter from Mallory. Its the best I think. Only problem with those is the lack of parts for recurving the advance curve. But MSD dizzys and others have their own problems too. My next move will be to swap out the 6AL box with a programmable 6AL-2 and lock out my HEI and remove the vaccum advance can. Then I can program all the parameters into the box. I am really looking forward to playing with that. Should open up alot of tuning possiblities that are just too time consuming to accomplish using an old sun machine, weights and springs.