PDA

View Full Version : Which Fan?????

jg67
06-16-2005, 03:29 AM
What works best; dual spal fans or a single Mk8 fan. I would have to guess that if a single fan moves enough air to cool a 600Hp beast, then most likely it is more efficient in terms of cfm/amps.
Any comments......

CAMAROBOY69
06-16-2005, 03:31 AM
I would almosty guarantee the Mark 8 fan is a lot cheaper and there are cars with over 1000hp running that fan on their car.

69HuggrrrPT
06-16-2005, 04:09 AM
I would almosty guarantee the Mark 8 fan is a lot cheaper and there are cars with over 1000hp running that fan on their car.
:icon996:
I'll have to agree

USAZR1
06-16-2005, 06:03 PM
What would be needed to adapt the Mark VIII fan set-up to the stock radiator on my 69 El Camino? Does it come with its own shroud enclosure?

Blown353
06-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Piece of cake, Clint. The Mark VIII comes with its own shroud; all you would have to do is bend up some brackets to bolt it to the upper radiator hold down and the bottom of the radiator support.

The hardest part of the Mark VIII swap is finding a relay large enough to feed it reliably. A 75A relay would be my recommended minimum... Hella makes one for about $40, while an over the counter relay for the original application from the dealer will run you about $150. (yikes!)

You can get the fans at RockAuto.com for about $145, there are many many prior posts in this section with the part number.

I'm running twin 11" Spals myself (which work great even with A/C and about 650rwhp in 100 degree weather) but if I had to do it again I would have used a Mark VIII.

Troy

CAMAROBOY69
06-17-2005, 03:06 AM
What would be needed to adapt the Mark VIII fan set-up to the stock radiator on my 69 El Camino? Does it come with its own shroud enclosure?
Just like Troy said, it is very easy since thie Mark VIII fan has its own built in shroud. All you need to do is make a few brackets. If you have fabrication skills this is way to easy to do. There are a couple threads in this forum where guy get great deals on the relays. I recal a couple guys getting the relay for around $20.00

jg67
06-17-2005, 08:44 AM
thanks guys. I think i am sold on the Mk8 fan.

USAZR1
06-17-2005, 11:23 AM
I appreciate the info too,guys. Sounds like I need to give Rock Auto a call and get one of those fans coming my way. Don't know why I stayed with the stock shroud and engine-driven fan with my VA FrontRunner set-up. No problems with cooling but the Mark VIII fan should work even better and look a lot cleaner,too.

Blown353
06-17-2005, 03:36 PM
I appreciate the info too,guys. Sounds like I need to give Rock Auto a call and get one of those fans coming my way. Don't know why I stayed with the stock shroud and engine-driven fan with my VA FrontRunner set-up. No problems with cooling but the Mark VIII fan should work even better and look a lot cleaner,too.

Clint, you'll probably want to add a trinary switch to your A/C system to control the electric fan; that's what I did when I went to electric fans. You probabaly have a binary switch (high and low pressure cutout) in the VA system now, call them up and get a Trinary switch (high P cut, low P cut, and fan control) and use that. With the trinary switch the A/C turns the fan on only when needed by the high-side system pressure; this way it isn't on constantly when the car is moving. It only turns on when you come to a stop and the high side pressure starts rising due to lack of airflow through the condensor.

67 455 Bird ragtop
06-21-2005, 06:45 AM
I'm getting ready to run a dual fan setup off an LT1 on my 67 Firebird. Fits perfectly on my radiator. I ahve talked to several guys who run these fans. Work well...