PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding engine and rear end....at the same time!

DarkoNova
04-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Well not really, lol.

I had the Nova rear end rebuilt a few months ago. I took it around the block (literally up the street, a right turn, down the street, and a left turn) to check for noises with the posi and make sure I got the additives right. No noises, so I just parked it and pulled the engine. I want to replace the rings and bearings, but I just remembered that the shop that rebuilt the rear end gave me some paper that said to drive easy for about 500 miles before doing any hard acceleration.

Problem is, I plan on breaking in the engine the "non-traditional" way by driving it like I stole it.

Is it really necessary to drive easy/slow to break in the gears or is that just "traditional" like breaking in engines easy/slow?

If I absolutely have to, I can put the engine back in without new parts and just drive around slowly so I can break in the gears and then pull it out and rebuild it afterwards...I'd just prefer not to have to do all that extra work.

Thoughts? Opinions?

chicane67
04-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Well... brake it in as per instruction... or build it a second time and spend money twice ? Hummm... I dont know about you, but I dont like spending money twice.

As for the 500 mile thing... I perfer that it is driven up to temperature (about 25-30 miles) and then let it cool to ambient. Do that cycle five or six times... and you'll have no issues.

Just my opinion... but what do I know ?