PDA

View Full Version : What's up at DelMar?

Rod
04-03-2011, 12:35 PM
So what's going at good guys in del mar? Whos fast? Doug how's one leg running? Kyle did you run the Camaro? Or the 55. I just need to know as I sit bored on I-5

SLO_Z28
04-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Hotchkis said that all the vendors had issues with their cars? Thats bad news. I was there on Friday, Mike Maier's 1966 Mustang was the fastest car in the field by a long shot (think it was over .800), and was the only person in 31 seconds. Here is a video of that beast on the second fastest run:
xnb-zltQPoY

Curious to see the overall results.

Ron.in.SoCal
04-03-2011, 02:31 PM
I was there for a Sat afternoon. Great seeing everyone! So much to comment on, but I think OLC James lost a clutch and the DSE Nova had a problem as well.

Nessumsar
04-03-2011, 03:35 PM
The new clutch in OLC is dead, and the sway bar mount pulled out of the trunk on the DSE Chevy II. I was able to make it Saturday for racing, got in 4 runs and finished 3rd in the "Street Machine" category ('55 and newer). Can't wait to see some video or pictures

Gitter Dun
04-03-2011, 04:05 PM
The new clutch in OLC is dead, and the sway bar mount pulled out of the trunk on the DSE Chevy II. I was able to make it Saturday for racing, got in 4 runs and finished 3rd in the "Street Machine" category ('55 and newer). Can't wait to see some video or pictures

Congrats on the third!! Glad to see that nova stepping up!!

go-fish
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Driverz Inc sold some wheels and it looks like some guy on here will be sportin' 19" 3 piece Lites on his 'cuda. !!!

David Pozzi
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
OLC clutch smoked more than a Japanese Nuculear Reactor!
The amazing thing was, after cooling down it still sort of works! I told James he now has a "Carbon" clutch. It's coming out in a few days, lucky we were planning on replacing it anyway & had the parts on order.

NOPANTS-68
04-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I had a blast. I cruised all over the fairgrounds, talked to the guys at Driver's Inc. a couple times about some new shoes, drooled on a few hundred cars, bought a car cover, and made it all the way back to Sacramento today without incident. Can't ask for much else. Some amazing iron down there no doubt.

James OLC
04-03-2011, 08:24 PM
On Friday we were second fast behind Mike in the Mustang which we were really happy about. The new brakes were about an hour old and the new shocks had about 40 miles on them. The car was running great until the editors challenge. Just when I was thinking that maybe the whole deal was going to be ok, as David said, the clutch suffered from what I think was about the most dramatic clutch melt down that I have ever seen - when we got to the car I was looking for holes in the sheetmetal with bits of clutch poking out. The good news was the when the smoke cleared everything was intact. The better news is that there is (somehow) still enough clutch left to move the car under its own power. The bad news is that it is 100% pure junk at this point in time and "we'll" have about 6 days to get it replaced and nut and bolt the car before it heads to the Long Beach Grand Prix and then on to the One Lap of America.

A good weekend... not a great weekend.

Chad-1stGen
04-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Hey what's happening at the LB Grand Prix with OLC?

Ron.in.SoCal
04-03-2011, 08:34 PM
as David said, the clutch suffered from what I think was about the most dramatic clutch melt down that I have ever seen

Looked and smelled dramatic James. At first I was worried it was the motor, but smell gave it away! Glad it wasn't worse...

James OLC
04-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Looked and smelled dramatic James. At first I was worried it was the motor, but smell gave it away! Glad it wasn't worse...

ASo far it looks like the clutch took the brunt of the abuse. Engine seems ok but we'll know more in a day or two. We should be ok once the clutch gets replaced.

Hey what's happening at the LB Grand Prix with OLC?

We are going to lead the World Challenge race as one of the Parade Cars on Sunday - as far as I'm concerned, this is probably one of the coolest things that we've been invited to do with that car. Should be a lot of fun! We'll be doing it at Long Beach and again at Mid America later in the year.

Bryce
04-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Del Mar was great, I got to see a bunch of runs, Dan gave me a ride in the only editor challenge car to hold up!

ROBS6T8
04-04-2011, 07:24 AM
"We are going to lead the World Challenge race as one of the Parade Cars on Sunday - as far as I'm concerned, this is probably one of the coolest things that we've been invited to do with that car. Should be a lot of fun! We'll be doing it at Long Beach and again at Mid America later in the year."

That would be really cool and an honor James. Enjoy the moment.

Hotchkis
04-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi Guys -

We'll have lots of photos up on Facebook later today. Just for the record, the other vendor cars performed admirably, the only breakage occurred during the editor's challenge and that was no fault of the machinery!

Bryce
04-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Hi Guys -

Just for the record, the other vendor cars performed admirably, the only breakage occurred during the editor's challenge and that was no fault of the machinery! Agreed.

chr2002ca
04-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Just found this on YouTube. Shows about 8 different cars doing some initial Autocross runs on Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqbN4OFEuE

rrunner68
04-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Just found this on YouTube. Shows about 8 different cars doing some initial Autocross runs on Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqbN4OFEuE

Deanna's Camaro
No Limit Joe Dirt Truck
Generic Camaro
El Co
Some Junky Mopar
Bret's Ridetech Mustang
James' OLC Camaro
Mike in the Maier Racing Mustang

Matt@BOS
04-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Del Mar was great! It was nice hanging out and catching up with people as well as being able to but some faces to names.

I spent most of my time out by the autocross and I was amazed by how much everyone has been improving, and having fun while doing it.

A big thanks goes out to the DSE gang and especially Kyle for taking the time to set my shocks up this weekend. I've only run about 10 laps total since we put my car back together, but already it is feeling way quicker than before. Also I've got to thank No Limit Rob for bringing his scales over to the ridetech booth to let us weigh in.

Lastly, I think it is worth pointing out that Doug had a potential bidding war going on over his car. Chris, I hope you have a picture of the for sale sign on his car, or are at the very least tell the story for those that couldn't attend.

Matt

bosses son
04-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Got this from Rob, http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Event-Coverage-400-plus-pictures-of-Hot-Rods-Muscle-Cars-and-Street-Machines-at-the-2011-Goodguys-Del-Mar-Nationals.html

We left the fairgrounds at 3:30 and made it back to Templeton at 9:30. Pulled the car in the shop, got out and heard a hissing sound. Rear pass tire was going flat. Man was i happy we made it to here instead of out in the middle of nowhere at night trying to change a tire! Other than that we had a great time, got to hang out with a bunch of great people, and we got the win! Prefect weekend.

PS.
Doug, Big Wanda called and she wants here car or her $8,500, no more freebies for you my friend!

chr2002ca
04-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Chris, I hope you have a picture of the for sale sign on his car, or are at the very least tell the story for those that couldn't attend.
Matt

Well, I'll tell part of the story and let Doug tell the rest. I got a little creative and threw together a For Sale sign before the event. Since Doug is such a great sport, I slapped it on his car on Friday at the Autocross. The sign was put there to make Doug and other people laugh when they read it, which it did. However, we could never have predicted that some people would actually take the sign seriously. That's where it got exceptionally funny. Before I continue, here's the sign:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

That phone number is the beauty of the sign and the real source of a lot of fun for that day. It's the number to a brothel in Nevada. Gotta love Google. Seeing people walk up and actually take the sign seriously, pull their cell phone out of their pocket(quickly), and dial a brothel and ask for 'Big Wanda', well, that's priceless. If only we had a recording of one of those phone conversations. One guy was a real philanthropist. He felt bad for Doug and was willing to offer him......wait for it........... $8700.

I'll let Big Wanda, excuse me, I mean Mr. Renner tell the rest. :)

Chad-1stGen
04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Having had lunch with Doug today I'm extremely disapointed he failed to mention this particular highlight.

Way to go Chris. Good times.

79-TA
04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
:1st::lol::ssst:

Man, I wish I could have been there to see people falling for that. Did you guys only do this on Friday (April 1)?

Steve1968LS2
04-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I was there for a Sat afternoon. Great seeing everyone! So much to comment on, but I think OLC James lost a clutch and the DSE Nova had a problem as well.

One of the "editors" in the challenge decided to ride the OLCs clutch and turn it into molten slag and more smoke than a forrest fire.. lol

I broke the DSE Nova.. my second front sway bar in 6 months.. at least I'm pushing hard (turned out a bolt on the end-link sheered off.

A small heat shield flew off the RideTech Mustang

General carnage :)

Ron.in.SoCal
04-04-2011, 09:05 PM
I saw the Ridetech Mustang stop, but ran again a few miuntes later. Wasn't sure what happened there. Steve - I'm pretty sure you've found the weak link in those sway bar end link/mount designs. Time to engineer 'mule' a new one for someone...

Rod
04-04-2011, 09:21 PM
That phone number is the beauty of the sign and the real source of a lot of fun for that day. It's the number to a brothel in Nevada. Gotta love Google. Seeing people walk up and actually take the sign seriously, pull their cell phone out of their pocket(quickly), and dial a brothel and ask for 'Big Wanda', well, that's priceless. If only we had a recording of one of those phone conversations. One guy was a real philanthropist. He felt bad for Doug and was willing to offer him......wait for it........... $8700.

I'll let Big Wanda, excuse me, I mean Mr. Renner tell the rest. :)

Thats some funny azz stuff,... the real question Chris is why do you know a Nevada brothels phone number?? and better yet How did you know Wanda still worked there???? :rotfl:

chr2002ca
04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Thats some funny azz stuff,... the real question Chris is why do you know a Nevada brothels phone number?? and better yet How did you know Wanda still worked there???? :rotfl:

LOL. To protect my rep, I got the number from a quick Google search. I swear! No, it's not on my speed dial. :) As for Big Wanda, well, you know what they say, go BIG or go home. :cheers:

chr2002ca
04-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Just found this partial clip on YouTube of the OLC's clutch meltdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK-ma580HQs&feature=related

If I remember correctly, right after the car came to a stop, it started pouring out a bunch more smoke. Maybe the driver tried engaging the clutch again. Not sure. Anyhow, glad to hear it was just a clutch and somehow able to continue moving on its own power. Hopefully James will share some photos of what it looks like after he yanks it out.

go-fish
04-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Big Wanda @ 5:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z82kwCareiY&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Tech@Scotts
04-05-2011, 12:14 PM
we were out there with our 55

NOPANTS-68
04-05-2011, 12:21 PM
we were out there with our 55

That was my favorite tri-5. I came back to it over and over. What red is that?

Tech@Scotts
04-05-2011, 12:52 PM
That was my favorite tri-5. I came back to it over and over. What red is that?
It was a porsche red that ended up becoming a witches brew custom mix....

NOPANTS-68
04-05-2011, 02:20 PM
so Guards red to start. Looked great in the sun.

SLO_Z28
04-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Jon that was me talking to you at the show, the guy that lives around the corner.

Mike Maier and Kyle Tucker kicking ass and taking names in the autocross!

Hotchkis
04-05-2011, 03:22 PM
It was a fantastic weekend. We'll have some edited videos up soon, but in the meantime, we have a photo gallery on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?fbid=10150165516340073&id=188171375072&aid=284661).

We've got shots on the autocross:

shots of the show:

and....shots of carnage:

Nessumsar
04-05-2011, 04:02 PM
^Love the "carnage" shot!

go-fish
04-05-2011, 04:51 PM
That is a Bitchin' Camaro! Beautiful flares.

Tech@Scotts
04-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Jon that was me talking to you at the show, the guy that lives around the corner.

Mike Maier and Kyle Tucker kicking ass and taking names in the autocross!
Good Meeting ya man we are damn near neighbors, more than welcome to stop by some time!

bosses son
04-06-2011, 09:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEGvLXR31js

here is Craig running the 68 around the "peanut" The IRS was working great!

rrunner68
04-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Kyle, how fast did the camaro end up going?

bosses son
04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Kyle, how fast did the camaro end up going?

35.43 was the fastest.

Ron.in.SoCal
04-06-2011, 03:46 PM
35.43 was the fastest.

Car looked good going through the cones. Minimal lean and the rear working like it should. I bet there's a better run in it w bigger meats. Any room under there?

bosses son
04-07-2011, 08:18 AM
not really,
we got 275 on the back and 245's on the front. I think we are maxed out without tubs. I think some fine tuning and maybe some more neg camber in the rear would help. We had the thing set up for optimum tire ware for the customer. We did not think we were bringing it to the show, but ended having a open trailer. For a first time out we were pretty pleased!

ROBS6T8
04-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Kyle, nice to see her done. I'm sure the customer will be happy. Great work.

Robert