PDA

View Full Version : Vss wiring

ProTouringNyc
06-14-2005, 09:10 AM
I need to know the speed sensor wire on my tranny, i have a 4l60 in my camaro to hook up to an electric autometer guage. thanks

Steve Chryssos
06-14-2005, 12:46 PM
The short answer to your question is:
Splice into the two wires that plug into the tailshaft of the trans.

The long version is:
You may run into a Catch 22, the trans may not shift until you have calibrated the speedo and you may have trouble calibrating the speedo without the trans shifting. So splice in a plug connector between the speedo and the vss that located under the dash or carpet. This way, in a pinch, you can unplug the speedo if the trans does not want to shift out of first.

If this happens, the cure is to put the rear wheels on jackstands and run the car during speedo calibration mode without load. Let the calibration counter run up to about 2500 or 3000 pulses. That should get you close. Finish the rough calibration and test with the rear wheels still on jackstands. The trans should shift with the speedo connected. Then go out on the street and do a formal calibration as per the Auto Meter instructions.

I realize you don't know what the hell I'm talkin about--but you may find out. If you run into any problems, call me.

Lawrence
06-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Purple and Yellow wires from the back of the tranny, as streetfytr has said, splice into the wires for the autometer gauge, dont cut them. (Ask me how I know :hammer: )

malibu9in
06-15-2005, 06:49 AM
i think you only need to splice into the purple one....one of the 2 not both. There is 4 male spades on the back of the gauge right? If so thats how i did mine. Goto autometer's website they have all the directions there.