PDA

View Full Version : spare parts for half shafts?

Ripper
03-24-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm building a dedion suspension for my Firebird with parts from a Lincoln Mark VIII.

I need new, shorter half shafts which I'll have custom made here in Sweden. So obviously I need to dismount them to remove the old shaft. However, the outer joint seems almost possible to take apart. Until I realised that there's a steel ring pressed on the joint which need to be removed to be able to pull the balls out and then take out the shaft and inner parts of the joint.
I've tried to remove it in the picture, but without success. (it's the upper 1,5" of the joint that's the removable ring)

(The axle is mounted with a C-clips from the inside of the joint - I have to disassemble the joint before I remove the shaft).

So, the problem is that the shaft is used and the ring sits quite tight. The easiest way to remove it would be with the angle grinder... Before I do that, it would be good to know if they are available as a spare part? I haven't found anyones, so that's why I'm asking here... Anyone that knows?

It's a little hard to get a good picture, but here's another one.

Ripper
03-26-2011, 02:51 PM
come on guys... no one?

Anyone could help me find a exploded view/drawing/service manual etc?

MrQuick
03-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Sorry rip, I could not find any info.

As you know most CV joints have an inner locking clip.

Clamp the shaft in a vise and use a drift punch and hammer to hit the flat section near the shaft. Give er a few wacks and see if it budges.

Ripper
03-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Clamp the shaft in a vise and use a drift punch and hammer to hit the flat section near the shaft. Give er a few wacks and see if it budges.
I already tried that. It doesn't seem to be springing locking clip. - then again; it seems strange that you should have to disassemble the joint to remove the shaft...

I thought first that the outer ring of the joint should be removed, but it didn't move anything at all in the press, despite 15000 lbs pressure.

Yes, I know... Home made press tools. :fingersx:

MrQuick
03-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Hi Rip, can't really make out what you got going with the press, my brain is whiped out right now but you hit like this right?

Ripper
04-03-2011, 04:34 AM
I've already tried that, but perhaps I need a bigger hammer...

andrewb70
04-17-2011, 08:18 PM
How about this?

http://www.rockfordcv.com/rcvinsp.htm

RCV can also help you with a custom bar for your application.

http://rcvperformance.com/store/catalog/index.php

Andrew

Ripper
04-24-2011, 01:04 PM
That looks interesting! Especially picture #13, however that's what I've done in the second picture in the first post. The front facing snap ring is removed, however I still can't remove the joint.