PDA

View Full Version : Motor State Challenge registration now open!

Larry Callahan
03-14-2011, 02:28 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/webgraphic-1.gif

Pro-Touring represents one of the fastest growing facets of the performance automotive hobby and Motor State Distributing, Lane Automotive and Allstar Performance Products are pleased to announce that they will host the Third Annual Motor State Challenge. The event will be held June 17-19 and will once again take place amid the lush orchards and vineyards of Southwestern Michigan, on the shore of beautiful Lake Michigan. Several top manufacturers of Pro-Touring components will also be on hand all three days to answer questions and to showcase their factory test cars. This event is the perfect opportunity to safely test a car’s performance in the autocross, on the road course and to show off what the car can really do. A full schedule of activities is already confirmed so plan to be here all weekend.

Friday, June 17

12:00 – 3:00 Motor State Facility Tours, 8300 Lane Drive near Exit 41 at intersection of M-140 and I-94
3:15 – 3:30 Drivers’ Meeting (Cruise) at Motor State/Lane Automotive
3:45 – 6:00 Cruise through the wine country and along Lake Michigan Shoreline (Approx. 40-50 Miles)
6:00 – 10:00 – Beach Party/Cookout Dinner (weather permitting) at Warren Dunes on Lake Michigan near Bridgman, Michigan.
Saturday, June 18

8:00 – 5:00 All Day Event at Gingerman Raceway (Road Course) in South Haven, Michigan. BBQ dinner will follow at track. Drivers will be divided into groups, based on experience. Novice drivers will be led by a pace car, and speeds will be kept to a prudent rate. Experienced and Professional drivers will be able to run the course at a faster pace, but will still be expected to keep safety at the forefront. All drivers and passengers will be required to wear a SNELL 2000 (or later) rated helmet. There will be absolutely NO fender to fender racing allowed on the course. Convertibles are welcome to participate in the Motor State Challenge however, if competing for times and qualifying for the OUSCI, you will be required to have a roll bar and proper safety restraint equipment. Convertibles without this equipment will still be allowed to run on the road course and autocross but will be held to a slower speed for safety reasons.
Sunday, June 19

8:00 – 4:00 Autocross, Lake Michigan College Parking Lot (Benton Harbor, MI)
Competition will begin at 8:00 and continue until 4:00. Awards for the event will be handed out at the conclusion of the Autocross event. Motor State's Relay for Life team has offered to do a cookout on Sunday during the autocross. They will grill hamburgers, hot dogs, and provide chips, cookies, and drinks for a donation to the charity.
Join us for three days filled with good times, good friends and the chance to experience the technological creativity and excitement that defines Pro-Touring. Due to the nature of this event, participation registrations will be limited. In order to secure a spot, please register as soon as possible. All events will run, rain or shine.
<!-- REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO SECURE YOUR SPOT.
Remember: You can choose the events you'd like to participate in or register for a full event participation pass.
www.motorstatechallenge.com (http://www.motorstatechallenge.com)
--> Host Hotel Contact Information:

Surfari Joe’s Motel and Water Park, Exit 41 off I-94 at Watervliet, Michigan. Call 269-463-7946 today as rooms are limited. Tell them you are with the Pro-Touring Group. Room rates include passes to the Water Park attractions. Visit Surfari Joe's Website (http://www.surfarijoes.com/)

Click below to visit the official event site and to register
http://www.motorstate.com/msChallenge.htm/

Zanie
03-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Woo Hoo!
I'm registered!
In the words Spinal Tap's Nigel Tufnel: "This one goes to Eleven!"

HunterBodyShop
03-14-2011, 06:13 PM
what does it cost to register for this event?

wmhjr
03-14-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm registered and have hotel reservations!

wmhjr
03-14-2011, 07:26 PM
what does it cost to register for this event?

i think my total bill was around $145?

Toadman
03-15-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm in!! This year I will finally participate! :drive:

blacklab
03-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Does any one know if there is a vehicle year restriction to enter the Motor State Challenge

Thanks Scott

tcronkright
03-16-2011, 04:20 AM
I'm there. It's nice to have this one in my back yard.

cstjohn73
03-19-2011, 06:15 AM
I'm in for the Challenge. It was so much fun last year! I tried to get my room at Surfari Joe's, apparently rooms not blocked out yet? Lots of weddings that weekend? The desk clerk took my name and phone # and said she would have to get back to me.

Chris

wmhjr
03-19-2011, 12:39 PM
I was able to make reservations there on the 14th...... They don't seem real organized, however.

Bow Tie 67
03-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Woo Hoo!
I'm registered!
In the words Spinal Tap's Nigel Tufnel: "This one goes to Eleven!"

Dan get ready this year myself and the car will be ready to give you an 11 ride around the track. :)

tommycomfort
03-21-2011, 01:51 PM
We're in with the 66 and wagon! As always driving hard and hanging out with great people is what we look forward too.

Mike Holleman
03-22-2011, 04:29 AM
I'll be up again. Hopefully someone will drive in from farther than my 992 miles and take the longest distance trophy. Bobby is planning to have his 2nd gen ready for the RTMC and will do MSC also. Looking foward to seeing all you guys. Maybe some of you will be at NJ next week?
Mike

tommycomfort
03-22-2011, 07:01 AM
I'll be up again. Hopefully someone will drive in from farther than my 992 miles and take the longest distance trophy. Bobby is planning to have his 2nd gen ready for the RTMC and will do MSC also. Looking foward to seeing all you guys. Maybe some of you will be at NJ next week?
Mike

Mike, we're signed up for New Jersey (RTTS) also, but it is going to be down to the wire getting this LS conversion finished...
Tom

Mike Holleman
03-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Mike, we're signed up for New Jersey (RTTS) also, but it is going to be down to the wire getting this LS conversion finished...
Tom

I have faith in ya. Anyway I can help? I have done a few.
Mike

Bad94
03-22-2011, 08:49 AM
We're in with the 66 and wagon! As always driving hard and hanging out with great people is what we look forward too.

Im marking that weekend off at work.

Need to get the camaro tuned.

Jim Nilsen
04-12-2011, 05:06 PM
I was not able to get a room at Surfari joes and am wondering if anyone want's to share a room or add a cot and save some more $$$.

I just need to shower and sleep that's about it.

wmhjr
04-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Jim, it's too early for me to say yet. I have a room reserved but I may already have a crowd - I won't know for a while. If I end up not having a crew with me you're more than welcome, but you're probably better off if you can find an alternative in the meantime.

Jim Nilsen
04-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Jim, it's too early for me to say yet. I have a room reserved but I may already have a crowd - I won't know for a while. If I end up not having a crew with me you're more than welcome, but you're probably better off if you can find an alternative in the meantime.

Hi Bill, I have a room booked in South Haven that I can stop my reservation
a week in advance if needed, so if it works out I will take the room since it is so much closer to everythin g going on.

wmhjr
04-23-2011, 02:20 PM
No problem Jim. We'll stay in touch and figure out the details as things progress. I still have no idea who may be coming with me - or not.

Toadman
05-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Other than Safari Joe's, where is everyone else booking rooms? I want to be near the action and make sure my car is safe.

Jim Nilsen
05-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Other than Safari Joe's, where is everyone else booking rooms? I want to be near the action and make sure my car is safe.

I got a room in South Haven a couple of weeks ago and it was the last room they said. I may have it available if Bill has the room at Joes available to me?

As to what is safe for the car?

Toadman
05-11-2011, 02:05 PM
I just want to make sure the car is in a nice area where it won't get tampered with.

Vinz68
06-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Just registered and booked a room at Safari Joes!! Looking forward to the event. See you guys there!!

prine68
06-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Is this event open to spectators too? Wouldn't mind coming out just to watch...

Toadman
06-02-2011, 11:57 AM
I ended up booking a room at the Days Inn Benton Harbor. Since my wife isn't coming, I had to find something inexpensive. Humpin' every night to get the car ready!

@ Prine68, I've (unfortunately) been a spectator the last 2 years. Careful, you'll get hooked! Gingerman is beautiful and has some nice seating around the track. Bring some lawn chairs if your coming to the autocross. Both have concessions.

prine68
06-02-2011, 12:22 PM
That's what I'm afraid of... but thanks for the infomation.

andrewb70
06-05-2011, 06:28 AM
I just booked a room at Safari Joe's. I'll be there with my son, and driving my GTO, but I will only be spectating. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Andrew

tommycomfort
06-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Getting close and we're getting really excited!
Tom

wmhjr
06-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Will anyone have a spare loaner helmet available that I could borrow? I'm planning on taking my son as a co-pilot for kicks (he's 20) and while I have a good helmet I don't have a second....

Anyone?

wmhjr
06-05-2011, 12:45 PM
I got a room in South Haven a couple of weeks ago and it was the last room they said. I may have it available if Bill has the room at Joes available to me?

As to what is safe for the car?

Jim,

Right now there are 3 of us in the room - my son, my dad, and myself. I may know more later but it's looking like 3 or maybe even 4 at this point already. I know that's not what you wanted to hear......

bret
06-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Looks like I'll be there with the 48hour camaro, and possibly our 66 Chevelle again.

BuddyP
06-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Give me a ride and you can use my helmet, Ha!

I'll be spectating again, car is far from complete. Will have a helmet with me hoping to get a lap or two in the shotgun seat.

L69-Z28
06-07-2011, 06:56 PM
What driver qualifications are required to participate in the solo road course?
Restrictions on make or year of car?

blakgoat
06-10-2011, 06:49 PM
this will be my first time, competing, I signed up for both the autocross and track, will be bringing my 70 GTO, while my 69 bird is still under construction, hope I don't make an ass of my self!
Imran

wmhjr
06-11-2011, 04:44 AM
this will be my first time, competing, I signed up for both the autocross and track, will be bringing my 70 GTO, while my 69 bird is still under construction, hope I don't make an ass of my self!
Imran

Friend, you and I will be a couple pontiac guys in the same boat. Goal #1 - don't total the car. Goal #2 - make sure that if people are laughing when I'm on the course, they're laughing with me.

blakgoat
06-11-2011, 05:27 AM
don't forget goal #3 try and have fun!

Jim Nilsen
06-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Jim,

Right now there are 3 of us in the room - my son, my dad, and myself. I may know more later but it's looking like 3 or maybe even 4 at this point already. I know that's not what you wanted to hear......

No problem , I still have the room in south haven. I had my name on the list for a room at Surfari Joes but they never called me yet they just had others who just booked the rooms? It will be fun no matter what !!!

See ya all there. I am having some issues with the cormaro that are just plain strange but I am thrashing to work them out. Why is that the gremlins show up the week before?

tazzz25906112
06-11-2011, 05:33 AM
don't forget goal #3 try and have fun!

The trick is to learn to laugh at yourself and the others will be right there to offer help and advise on how to refine and get better..... This is a major social event as much as it is a competition so don't worry and be happy,, cause everyone else will be having fun too...

I'll have my blue 70 Z clone down and hopefully the white 73TA as well so your welcome to hang out with another Poncho fan who's killed a clone or two in his day too btw....

andrewb70
06-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Imran

It will be cool to have two 1970 GTOs at the event! I am actually now considering running the road course....hmmmm..

Andrew

blakgoat
06-12-2011, 06:00 AM
thats great guys! I feel the lovin already. Again as I said this will be my first event, I have some bugs to work out myself! not much time left, plus its an 8 hour haul from where I am here in southern Ontario Canada.

mjschneidy
06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Does anyone know if we will be running the full (new) Gingerman course or the slightly shorter course that we did last year? I don't think SCCA had signed off on the new portion at the time we were there last year.

Also... anyone interested in renting a data logging system for Saturday? I have a friend coming along that has two he rents out for events like this. E-mail me at [email protected] if you'd like more details.

tazzz25906112
06-13-2011, 05:36 PM
thats great guys! I feel the lovin already. Again as I said this will be my first event, I have some bugs to work out myself! not much time left, plus its an 8 hour haul from where I am here in southern Ontario Canada.

When you driving down??? I'll be pulling my 48' enclosed out of Woodbridge if your interested in running down together let me know.....
Albert

SicMonte
06-13-2011, 06:29 PM
you all have a good time...I will have to sit this event out.

tazzz25906112
06-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Sorry to hear that Douglas,,, was looking forward to seeing you guys there..

Zanie
06-13-2011, 09:13 PM
It will be cool to have two 1970 GTOs at the event! I am actually now considering running the road course....hmmmm..

Andrew
If Rubes shows up with his 70 Judge this year, there will be three!

blakgoat
06-14-2011, 05:08 AM
Albert I plan on leaving Thursday afternoon.
Imran

Toadman
06-14-2011, 07:32 AM
I haven't been on a road course before. Do I need to remove my centercaps on my wheels? They're near impossible to get off & even worse to get back on. Anything I need to know to make sure I pass tech?

Bow Tie 67
06-14-2011, 08:22 AM
I would remove the caps, battery bolted in well and tape over the positive post. Good brakes, torque wheels, brake lights, helmet, long pants, long sleeve shirt. That should be it.

wmhjr
06-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Center Cap removal is mandatory? I'm with Todd - it is really a PITA to try and get caps off without damaging them. If it is absolutely necessary for tech, I'll do it. I'd just like to know what the rules really are.

SicMonte
06-14-2011, 10:26 AM
At RTTS (New Jersey Motorsports Park) they didnt require anyone to remove the center caps.

tommycomfort
06-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Been my limited experience that every track is different and not the same every time. Just be prepared to accommodate what's required in a timely fashion on "race" day.

wmhjr
06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Anyone that ran Gingerman last year (or even this year for a different event) have any idea? If I need to dismantle the wheels I'd like to do it tonight because tomorrow night is my "load day", loading tools and the car in the trailer so that as soon as I get off work on Thurs I can start driving....

tommycomfort
06-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Last year when we ran Gingerman I left my flat caps on without any trouble.

wmhjr
06-14-2011, 12:10 PM
OK, thanks - appreciate it. I think I'm going to leave them on and hope (pray) they don't need to come off.

grnman
06-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Guys, if any one needs a room at Safri Joes please call me @ 262-305-8219 8 am to 9 pm. My ride is not ready so i wont be at the event this year...

wmhjr
06-15-2011, 06:22 AM
Guys, if any one needs a room at Safri Joes please call me @ 262-305-8219 8 am to 9 pm. My ride is not ready so i wont be at the event this year...

I think Jim Nilsen may be first in line.....

wmhjr
06-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Hey guys, a little last minute advice from the experienced folks around here concerning these events...

Tonight I'm packing up since we're planning on leaving tomorrow whenever work permits. Here's what I'm planning to pack and bring. I'm planning to use Motor State as a real "learning event" and not make too many changes. Then I'll be better prepared for Heidts next month. So, unless something breaks or I find something WAY out of wack, I'm going to try and focus in me learning the car and the environment rather than fiddling with adjusting the car for the 1st time out. Due to delays and scheduling, I have had zero (0) seat time in the car on any sort of track or autox.

Planning to bring:

All kinds of hand tools - wrenches, ratchets, sockets, torque wrenches, allens, torx, adjustable, -AN, pliers, screwdrivers, feeler gauges, and my best friends, hammer, duct tape and vice grips :)
Floor jack and a set of jack stands
Wheel chocks
Bottle jack
Air tank, and small (maybe useless) compressor, gauge
A couple lawn chairs
Oil
Safety wire and pliers
Though I probably won't use them this weekend, my home built turn plates, Longacre alignment tool, and DSE drop in shims

Is there anything major I'm forgetting? Be nice to the new guy, OK?

69lt4
06-15-2011, 11:26 AM
wmhjr,

I went last year to observe (car wasn't ready). There are many people willing to assist if anything goes wrong. Grab some towels and a cooler with ice and water.

Kevin
69 camaro LT4 T56 DSE suspension Baer brakes Budnik wheels.....