PDA

View Full Version : "G" Body Moser 12 Bolt

NBM-WU8
02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
I have a 1988 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS that is about to become an LS3 car and I am looking to purchase a new Moser 12 Bolt rear end for the car, in stock width. This is a stock chassis car, and I am not looking to modify the frame. I have been getting conflicting information on clearance issues with the disc brake setups offered for them (Economy & Wilwood).

One of Moser's representatives told me that there is no possibility of using either disc brake set up without notching the frame. Another representative said that he had no knowledge of any clearance issues, as long as the rear end is stock width. Finally, I talked to another shop that specializes in rear ends and was told that the issues with disc brakes is not frame related, but rather it is a clearance issue with the shocks since the calipers are moved inboard of the axle ends, therefore being closer to where the shocks mount.

Anyone have some experience with these rear ends on a GM "G" Body car with disc brakes and can give me some guidance as to which person, if any, is correct?

ProdigyCustoms
02-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Plenty of experience. I see not issue with disc brakes, we did Wilwoods on Michaels Monte (stock rear) with zero clearance issue. We had to customize the backing plates but had no other clearance issues. We are setting up a 8.5 for it as we speak, and see no reason why we cannot run disc on it also.

NBM-WU8
02-28-2011, 07:26 PM
That's what I keep thinking but it's hard to guess which person is right when it comes to almost 4 grand worth of metal. I would assume the geometry is almost identical. It's not reassuring when Moser can't give me a straight answer whether the brakes they offer are going to cause me problems. Seems silly to offer something that wouldn't work:hmm:

big gear head
02-28-2011, 08:14 PM
The only issues that I know of with the Moser 12 bolt is the upper controll arm eyes. They are raised on the Moser rear end to give better suspension geometry. Sometimes this causes clearance issues with the floor on lowered cars.

Samckitt
03-01-2011, 02:58 AM
I have an 8.5 in the rear of mine with Baer / F body LT1 rear discs. I had no issues with brake interference with them, EXCEPT for, I had to use Baer's shock relocation brackets too, without doing that, the stock shock location would interfere with the caliper.

GNon18s
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Seems to me brakes fit INSIDE THE WHEEL so I dont see how the brakes would hit frame rail.