PDA

View Full Version : help planning a stereo in a convertible

61ragtop
02-18-2011, 04:32 PM
I have a 61 drop top impala and am looking to fill out the sound. I have a pair of type R alpine 6 1/2 components up front in the vent holes (need to make enclosures for them as they are very tinny) they are run off an alpine amp as well not the deck. I also have a pioneer flip screen deck I am using too.

My main question is on the speaker box for the subs.........What should I use Sealed, ported, position, 10's, 12's?.........

I know i wont get record breaking sound with the convertible but would like it to sound clean and full.

Any recommendations would be great......

CRead01
02-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Convertibles are hard to work with but you can get good sound. I have a 62 imperial convertible and I used a sealed box primarilly because I am not looking for thump as much as good sound. If you can put a sub in the drivers cabin you will probably be happier with the sound. a downward firing sub works well in convertibles too.

There are a million options as far as sealed ported and position and it is hard to hear direction of subs I would say listen to as many as you can and see what sounds best to you. If you choose what kind of box you want you can always make a cheap box then try it in different positions in the car and choose what works best. then make a box to fit the position better.

61ragtop
02-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Good info thanks Chad.

IMPALAMAN1
06-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Glass or plastic back window?

61ragtop
06-04-2011, 11:44 AM
It will be a plastic window.

nekkidhillbilly
06-10-2011, 09:30 PM
i like the sound of a sealed box better. ported to me while it makes good bass it just doesnt sound good to me. ive had both like sealed much better. ported sounds to idk unresponsive with certain music. plus sealed you can run a smaller box.

61ragtop
06-11-2011, 07:43 AM
We loaded this 63 hard top with a bunch of goodies..... A whole lota JL audio kinetik batteries and stuffed it all in the trunk with the air ride tanks and compressors......

That is some REAL NICE work right there!!!!! Do you sell the Kicks with out the speakers? I already have some 6 1/2 Alpine TYpe-R's but really like those kicks you have for the Impalas.

61ragtop
06-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Again, you do real nice work!!!!! Would love to have the knowledge to pull off a trunk like the ones you do. Any thoughts on placement or box style for a drop top?