PDA

View Full Version : HEI Firewall clearance issue

69Rathead
06-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Recently I bought a GM (generic) type HEI for my '69 Camaro with SBC 350. Needless to say I have the typical HEI jammed against the Firewall issue and was wondering what some of you guys may have done to resolve the issue (like pound the **** out of the firewall). I have an Edelbrock carb on top of a Edelbrock Air gap manifold so it's a bitch to pound (not that it's the right thing to do) on the Firewall cause they are in the way. I was hoping maybe somebody out there has a really easy (non-Neanderthal) way to resolve this issue. Crowbar prying? Any ideas? Thanks for any help...

MuscleRodz
06-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Check your frame mounts and make sure you have the right ones. There is two different mounts for small blocks and position the motor slightly different locations. The has been severaL threads over at Camaros.net about the differences.

Mike

69Rathead
06-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the info...I'll go look for those posts. Just bought new mounts too...hope I did not buy the wrong ones!

69Rathead
06-06-2005, 03:24 PM
I think I found the thread you were speaking of. One guy mentions Frame mounts another mentions Energy suspension motor mounts having elongated holes. I looked up the Energy mounts on the net and the pics do not show them with elongated holes. I also bought mounts recently (motor) and they do not have elongated holes either. You and the other guy mentioned FRAME mounts ...I am assuming you actually mean the mounts on the frame that the motor mounts attach to via the one long swivel bolt. Is this what I need to change not the motor mounts but the frame bracket? Thanks for any info.

MuscleRodz
06-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Yes I referring the frame bracket. Also check lateral-g.net, I think there was a thread there too.

Mike

nancejd
06-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Would a small cap HEI clear better?

69Rathead
06-06-2005, 07:53 PM
See next post...messed up and double inputed this one..

69Rathead
06-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Yes I wish I would have bought a small cap in the first place...however since I did not and I bought this one online for around $95 from some off the wall place about 6mos ago I don't think they will refund me so I'll make it work. I decided to Neanderthal it...I used a 36" stanley crowbar and pryed from an ear on top of the tranny just below intake manifold. I put a 2lb. sledge head sideways against the firewall and by prying the crowbar on the ear pushed the sledge head into the firewall thus denting it. It turned out great as the sledge head made a nice even factory looking dent there...I now have a full 1/2" clearance between the furthermost outside edge of the distributor and the firewall...sometimes good old American firepower works best! :hammer: Thanks for the help anyway guys.

Rick Dorion
06-07-2005, 05:03 AM
I have the 350 mounts and a large HEI clears fine. You shouldn't have to pound the firewall!

69Rathead
06-07-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't why mine did not have room either...but it is a very common issue when installing HEI. Glad to hear yours had the room. I now have installed and adjusted timing and runs good...and I have almost a 1/2" of clearance...I don't regret prying (not pounding) it out one bit as it even looks factory and I did not have to change frame mounts or buy a small cap HEI and eat the money on this one. A friend of mine has a '67 and his #5 wires plug cap is just slightly touching the firewall. He had his HEI installed by someone else and had been driving it around for a month before he realized how close it was. My engine is not original and perhaps when they put the engine in they did not seat it as far forward as possible...or perhaps depending on when the car was manufatured some early '69's actually had '68 frame mounts...who knows... I'm just glad I have the room now and it's running like a champ! Looking at it you cannot tell it was pushed back...just looks like it has room. :woot:

Steve68
06-09-2005, 05:54 AM
I used a 2x4 and moved the firewall back a tad on the Nova, still tight. I have a BB with small block frame mounts, I'd like to get a small body HEI,

indyjps
06-12-2005, 11:39 PM
i always ran a unilite to avoid the problem.

Steve68
06-13-2005, 03:53 AM
I used to run a Unilite but I always had a "at cruise" miss, switched to HEI no problems, don't know why, buddy has the Unilite in his car with no problems,

TonyHuntimer
06-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Does the cost of getting a small-cap distributor outweigh the time and energy spent on smashing the heck out of your firewall to fit the HEI?

Why not use the stock distributor with a Petronix Ignitor? Those things can't cost that much.

My $.02
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com