PDA

View Full Version : Ford 9" with hobby stock axles - Bearing race question

67CamNKC
01-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Guys,

I have a moser 9" ford with GM ends. I upgraded to the hobby stock axles. I pressed the bearings on both axles. Then the retainers. On the 2nd (short) axle, when the retainer seated, part of the race popped loose, not sure why. Take a look at the picture below. The race appears that its two pieces. The dark ring stayed but the wide shiny part of the race popped loose. This is a tapered bearing that uses the differential grease to lubricate. When I looked at the race it doesn't look broken, no rough edges etc. It looks like it was just stuck to the other part. The other axle's two piece race is stuck together pretty hard. Did it break somehow or will it hurt it? Do I need to get another bearing and retainer? If its not broken, the only problem I see is the race will stay in the axle tube when I pull the axle.

https://www.pro-touring.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43347&d=1293853118

big gear head
01-27-2011, 07:12 PM
As far as I can tell only the seal came off. The seal is just pushed on the race. Aren't you suppose to have your caliper brackets on the axle before you put the bearings on?

67CamNKC
01-27-2011, 07:15 PM
I was using it as a reference. The picture isn't of the broken part, its a previous pic I took when moser messed up and pressed everything on before they shipped it to me (its the one I ordered from you). The shiny part of the race separated from the thin dark ring part. I'll post a pic in a minute.

67CamNKC
01-27-2011, 07:29 PM
OK, here are three pictures. One with the race just setting at an angle, one with it set on and one with the large part of the race off. As you can see on the third pic, the race doesn't appear to be broken or have any rough spots. It just must not have been stuck together at tough as the other one?

big gear head
01-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Yea, they come apart like that. It's not a problem.