PDA

View Full Version : FAB 9 Inch Assembly Axle Installation

jr421
01-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Hi

I finally have sometime to work on my car and I am trying to assemble the rear end and was hoping someone could help me figure out whats going on. I have photos so please look at them too. Let me start with describing the picture, it is showing the axle slid all the way into the center section. The limiting factor seems to be the bearing pocket in the axle tube, it measures .6125" and the bearing width is .8250". I am running wilwood brakes so I tried installing the backing plate and the reatainer and the assembly still doesnt flush or get close to being flush. I have two retainer plates one that came with the brakes and one that came with the axles neither of them allows the backing plate to become snug. Any ideas?????? Any help is greatly appreciated.

scherp69
01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Is it possible your axle is too long? I had a similar issue when I put in my Moser M9. I called Frank who said to call Moser. I spent about 1/2 on phone with Moser and we found out one axle was a little bit too long. I cut a small piece off the end of the axle, tried it again and it went in without any issue.

jr421
01-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Did you have the same bearing issues too? My bearing is almost 1/4" wider than the pocket is deep. Thanks for your help.

Bryce
01-23-2011, 07:48 AM
I think that is normal, but a 1/4 in seams excessive. The solution is to make a retainer that has a pocket milled out for the bearing. But call up moser on monday.

scherp69
01-23-2011, 11:13 AM
I don't remember to be honest. I know once I cut the axle, it slid right in and everything worked fine. You might want to take some measurements of your housing, axles, etc and give Alston a call to make sure that everything is the right lengths.

Vegas69
01-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Is one axle longer than the other on a Ford 9"? Otherwise, I agree with the axles being to long. You should be able to figure it out fairly easily. Grab a rod of some sort and stick it into the axle housing until it seats in the rear end and mark it. That will put it to bed.

Bryce
01-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Yes, ford 9" have different length axles.

hotrdblder
01-23-2011, 01:38 PM
most of the big bearing fords have .110 to .120 stick out.

dj3
01-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Are your axles setup for a true track posi? I had a similar situation and found out that the true track allows the axles to go completely through and axles setup for it will be a little longer. i tried to run a old 9" section and it would hit the center bar that u see when looking through the side and stick out like the pic you show. i put the true track locker in and the problem was solved.

Pro Stock
01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Pull the third member and then re-install the axles, if they go in properly then they probably a little to long, also make sure that you have installed them on the correct side of the housing.
Hi

I finally have sometime to work on my car and I am trying to assemble the rear end and was hoping someone could help me figure out whats going on. I have photos so please look at them too. Let me start with describing the picture, it is showing the axle slid all the way into the center section. The limiting factor seems to be the bearing pocket in the axle tube, it measures .6125" and the bearing width is .8250". I am running wilwood brakes so I tried installing the backing plate and the reatainer and the assembly still doesnt flush or get close to being flush. I have two retainer plates one that came with the brakes and one that came with the axles neither of them allows the backing plate to become snug. Any ideas?????? Any help is greatly appreciated.

jr421
01-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Ok according to the vendor when you install the axles and the brake backing plates the retaining plates should almost flush and I should torque the retaining plates down to 35 ft lbs. and its all good. I will know more on Tuesday night when I get time to try it out. I would imagine I will have brake assembly problems if the axles are too long.

Vegas69
01-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm not buying it...

scherp69
01-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Why not just cut 1/4" off and see what happens. Even with a 1/4" less, they will still sit in the centre section properly.

67CamNKC
01-25-2011, 07:47 AM
I have a ford 9 with gm ends. The tapered bearing and hobby axle setup gave me a wider bearing (.142") and pushed my outer seal out of the end of the housing some. My ls1 backing plates were 1/2" thick so chucked them up in the lathe and turned a .142" groove in it to allow for the difference.

Here's a pic of the plate after I turned it. (its before I sandblasted and coated it, so its ugly!)https://www.pro-touring.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43573&d=1294540512

Apogee
01-25-2011, 03:33 PM
If you have measured the bearing width, the counterbore depth in the housing end and the resulting standout dimension, then you should know whether or not the bearing is fulling seating in its bore or not: .825 - .613 = .212. The typical standout dimension to the best of my knowledge is ~.150", which makes sense since the more common counterbore depth for the housing ends tends to be .676", give or take, which would give you that dimension.

I wouldn't suggest cutting your axles since I don't think that's your problem considering the dimensions seem to be telling you that your bearing is fully seated in the housing end. There were some housing ends (Lincoln rear disc applications IIRC) that had larger standout dimensions...maybe that's what you have. Your easiest solution may be to machine the retainers so as to accommodate the additional standout height.

Tobin
KORE3

rwhite_692
01-26-2011, 03:02 PM
I ran into this exact same "issue" (not sure if it will actually BE an issue!) (In my case, a 9" Quadralink rearend assembly sourced from DSE, complete).

I talked to Kyle and he indicated that the backing plates for aftermarket disc setups (be they Baer or Wilwood) will have an adequate relief cut into them, to accommodate the bearing stickout. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about...But I still don't have my rear brakes, so I don't know for sure.

The bearings on mine have .152" of stickout...The center section was not installed, so it has nothing to do with axle ends / interference with the center section.

The bearing recesses on my housing are .680" deep, bearing thickness is .832"