PDA

View Full Version : MSD: Digital 6 plus VS 6AL-2

BumpaD_Z28
12-29-2010, 04:57 AM
So I'm trying to decide which ignition box to use, seems like the only differences between these two boxes is the Digital 6 plus has start retard (beneficial, but I'm just under 10:1 compression ratio anyhow), and a top end timing retard option ...

6AL-2 cheaper, and smaller ...

Anyone have any experience with both / one better than the other ?

I have a 6AL in one car and it works GREAT !!!

TIA ~DaVe

online170
12-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Get the 6A2 Programmable, its got start retard and you can do much more with it.

The Stickman
01-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Get the 6A2 Programmable, its got start retard and you can do much more with it.

Are you or anyone else running this? I have it and would love a heads up before I tackle this.

Nothingface5384
01-04-2011, 02:56 PM
i'll probably be getting onw myself, due to you being able to map out the whole timming and retard for boost...i'm just wary cause getting an MSD is like a crapshoot, but its like 30 bucks cheaper then the similar mallory with boost harness and bosh sensor
think the msds still have a good warrenty atleast

Nothingface5384
01-04-2011, 04:15 PM
i'm talking about this one...not the 6421 model
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-6530/

online170
01-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Are you or anyone else running this? I have it and would love a heads up before I tackle this.

Ive installed one on an olds big block with a freind. Unfortunately I wont have any feedback on it till the spring, because the engine is currently being rebuilt.

From what ive read, it pretty much has flawless reviews. I spent a good month searching through MSD products to pick the right one. Originally i was set on this one since i have a new MSD 6AL;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8982/

But it requires you to have the MSD 6AL already. The 6AL2 basically combines those two products and adds a bunch of features. Its even more adjustable than the 8982, and costs about the same as a 6AL+8982.

If you start comparing the 6AL2 against the MSD7 digital plus (which the full on race version with extensive data logging, and stuff like single cylinder adjustments) you will notice the 6AL2 isnt too far off in features.

Anyway, its got bells and whistles and I think its a really good product. No personal quality assurances from me yet, but from what ive read, its all positive reviews so far.

H2Ogbodies
01-09-2011, 09:24 PM
More specifically the digital boxes use a lot more values for determining firing requirements instead of relying on an analog signal. It it more efficient over an analog box and is crucial for tuning a forced inducted engine or a really modified N/A one.

funcars
01-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Analog MSDs have been known to fail - tha's part of the reason many circle track guys have dual ignition systems. I don't know if it's still the case, but only analog boxes were mandated for cup cars.

somcamaross
02-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Which part number allows you to program the complete timing curve? I am in the corner as to whether or not to buy a BTM and add it to a 6AL or to buy a fully programmable with limiter..

Nothingface5384
02-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Which part number allows you to program the complete timing curve? I am in the corner as to whether or not to buy a BTM and add it to a 6AL or to buy a fully programmable with limiter..

somcamaross
02-13-2011, 06:13 AM

This would require me to run a vacuum advance to get any advance for highway driving where there would be high RPMS and vacuum, correct?

I really wish there was a programmable that was boost referenced.. It looks like the 6-BTM is going to be the way to go with a locked out distributor.

The Stickman
02-13-2011, 07:05 AM
This would require me to run a vacuum advance to get any advance for highway driving where there would be high RPMS and vacuum, correct?

I really wish there was a programmable that was boost referenced.. It looks like the 6-BTM is going to be the way to go with a locked out distributor.

No vacuum advance on that one that I know of. You lock the distributor out and program you timing into it.

somcamaross
02-14-2011, 06:32 AM
No vacuum advance on that one that I know of. You lock the distributor out and program you timing into it.

What I'm saying is that I would have to get a vacuum advance distributor to utilize the programmable with boost or else I would be running down the highway at 20 degrees of timing.