PDA

View Full Version : chrome removal

Jim Atkins
12-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Any tricks for removing chrome, tried bead & sand blasting. Grinding with 36 then 180 grit disc's seem to work best. Trying to remove chrome to powder coat for a black out look. Any chemical type stripper ? Trying to speed up the process. HELP

67 ls1 vert
12-25-2010, 09:52 AM
call the chrome shop.

justasquid
12-25-2010, 12:15 PM
what pieces are you working on? Most of the chrome trim on older cars is actually stainless, not chrome plated.

if it is chrome, you may want to contact a chrome shop as already suggested. Or, you can scuff it, and use an ahesion promoter and then paint it. You won't have to remove the chrome that way, and you will be able to match the finished color a little better. Powder coat tends to have its own shade. it may take a lot of trial and error to get it all to match.

Jim Atkins
12-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Door handles, trim pieces, gas cap, tail light rings & ect. Its on my sons 1970 Opel GT we are finishing up a ground up type rebuild, it is chrome plating, not stainless as lots of the parts have chrome peeling off, thats why I figured we would just remove the chrome and powder coat so it will be more durable than paint. Just thought I would ask maybe someone would have a trick to make it easier. Thanks for the info.