PDA

View Full Version : 67 Camaro convertible LS3? Axle? gears?

jeeper90
12-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi Guys, I need some help! I'm looking for a 9" for my 67 Camaro project w/DSE full tubs, what width? of axle? Gear ratio (for LS3 I don't know if it is going to be auto or T56)? I'm just bought the Full Air Ride level 3, DSE frame connectors, tubs, and solid sub frame bushings.

Chris

ProdigyCustoms
12-24-2010, 05:50 AM
Depending on the amount of wheel lip you want on the rear wheel, the rear end width can vary from 54' to 62" (60" is stock) The most common width is a 56 1/2" which will leave right at a 5" lip on most wheels.

For a LS3 you can make a tick over 500HP real easy so i would look at a 31 spline Tru Track, set it up with Big Ford Torino Bearings,

I would choose a 3.70 gear

FYI, we exclusively offer a jig welded bolt in rear for that Air Bar set up with all the brackets pre welded

big gear head
12-24-2010, 09:49 AM
The first thing you need are the wheels and tires that you will be using. You need to put them under the car and get them into the position that you want them to sit. This might require some cutting on the tubs or quarter pannel lip to get them exactly where you want them. Then measure the distance from the wheel mounting surfaces. Then you need to know what brakes you are going to use and how thick the rotors or drums are. Subtract this thickness from the measurement that you took between the wheels and then you can order the rear end exactly as wide as you need it.

kryptik
12-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Assuming you are setting this up for the street I would recommend a gear ratio between 3.50:1 and 3.89:1 along the lines of what Frank suggested...it's always a compromise between economy and acceleration.

I give another vote to the TruTrac...it's a great unit which you hardly even notice is there...

ProdigyCustoms
12-24-2010, 07:49 PM
I many cases some may have to buy wheels first and measure. For us, having sold literally 100s of sets of wheels and rears, and building as many cars as we do in the shop, we have a pretty comprehensive library of back spaces / wheel width / tire size / rear widths. So we can nail the rear end width, provide the back space one will need on their wheels, and guarantee the fitment. Allowing the customer to buy the rear now and defer the tires and wheels expenses to the end when you need them.

jeeper90
12-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks,

jeeper90
12-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks, I am looking for the Currie 9" I think. The Trutrac is most desirable to me at this point, I have a full detroit and ARB in my Jeep and don't want anythig as violent. I think DSE used to have a statement on their site stating 56 3/4 or 1/4 was that WMS? or tube length? I have a 10 bolt and don't want to use it. What would be my donor cars from the junk yards?

Thanks
Chris

kryptik
12-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Based on the way Currie treat's their customers I would SERIOUSLY recommend going with Moser. I can go into further detail but just trust me on this.