PDA

View Full Version : Timing Lockout

DButler
12-15-2010, 05:41 AM
I have a MSD streetfighter (I think) HEI distributor, with a MSD BTM 6 AL box. I need to lockout my timing on this since I am running a blowthrough application. I was told that I could just take the springs out under the rotor button and this would keep it from advancing. Will this work and if not is there a way to do it. thanks

MrQuick
12-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Removing the springs alone will not do it. You can make your own lock.
Just remove the springs then the weights and center cam. You can use a single piece of thin plastic, drill a few holes use it to replace the weights and cam. Pop the springs back on to hold it down. Reset your timing.

Or just weld your weights to the base

kryptik
12-16-2010, 02:12 AM
Or just weld your weights to the base

I second that...

(Unless you ever plan on using this dizzy for a different application)

DButler
12-16-2010, 05:17 AM
Ok I am kinda lost on this since I have never done it. I don't really want to weld it unless its the only option. As for the plastic, do I drill the holes to bolt through or what? Any specific shape the plastic needs to be cut? Sorry to be so dumb founded when it comes to this but everything I have messed with in the past didn't need this done. Thanks for the info. Is this pretty easy to understand once you take the cap off?

MrQuick
12-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Try removing the weights and leaving the springs on.....that might work

To be honest I used a piece cut off of an anti freeze bottle.

I'll try to walk you through it but I hope its clear. Im on hydrocodone and can barely type.
Using a timing light, check and note down your timing.
Pull your dist cap off. Mark the rotor position on to the dist base. I like to rotate the engine and position the rotor to point to 6 OR 12 o clock. Straight up makes it easy.

Remove the rotor. Remove your springs and weights. You'll notice your plate rotates easily now.
Try to make a note on where the cam plate is positioned with the springs are in place, mainly which way it pulls.
At the center you will see a cam plate that is secured by 2 pins and held on with small "e" clips.
Remove the "e" clips and pull the cam plate off. The plate resembles a propeller.

Now, using a piece of plastic try to shape it so it will cover the section where the cam plate went and around at least 1 of the other pins that held the weights on. You can get creative if you like but as long as it will connect the pins. Either poke holes or drill the plastic till it slides on to the pins easily. The plastic connected to both pieces will lock it down.

With the plastic in place re install the cam plate and the "e " clips then re install the rotor.

Check your rotor alignment with the mark you had made earlier. If it is off, loosen your distributor down nut and rotate your distributor till it lines up.
Tighten the dist hold down bolt.
Start engine and set your timing with timing light.

Should be locked out and ready to set up.

good luck with it.

Vince