PDA

View Full Version : Transmission swap

lutzy
12-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Looking to swapout a th400 and install a manual tranny. Car has about 500 hp whats the best route to go. Its a 69 camaro with 12 bolt rear.

kryptik
12-12-2010, 05:14 PM
What kind of driving do you intend to do? Street, drag, road race, auto-x, a mix?

If you are looking for an overdrive tranny a TKO600 is relatively simple to adapt into the car with little-to-no modifications to the transmission tunnel. I am very happy with mine.

T-56 is another route you can go but I do not have personal experience with adapting this, so I will let someone else take that one.

lutzy
12-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Really just street use..im looking for a complete type of kit..thanks

kryptik
12-12-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm using a TKO600 for everyday street driving in my '70 Camaro. If you factor in simplicity of installation, cost, shift quality, etc. it is a definite winner. It is compatible with the original mechanical linkage or with a hydro clutch unit (easier, simpler install, modern feel).

Both Hurst Driveline Conversions (http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=61) and Keisler Engineering (http://www.keislerauto.com/) sell complete kits to install this tranny.

I went with Keisler with my kit...but if I had to do it all over again I would MOST LIKELY go with Hurst. The Keisler parts were of good quality (though I question the Hecho-en-Mexico clutch which the pushy salesman sold me), but I felt that their customer service and quality control was sub-par. Multiple parts that I received were the wrong items (they packaged a First Gen Camaro shift handle where it clearly stated in ~20 places on the invoice that this was a second gen). And to add insult to injury they made ME pay to ship over the new handle! The hose clamps they sent were 5/16" for a 1/4" clutch line (when fully tightened, they were loose on the line...Napa here I come). Lets continue on to the bellhousing dial indicator which they sold me for $60 + shipping...Made in China, incorrect needle angle, unbelievably weak magnetic base, and it didn't even fit onto the magnetic base that they included (required using a different base which a local trans shop kindly lent me). Furthermore, when I placed the order, they conveniently failed to inform me that they had no transmissions in stock, and that they would not have any for over 3 months! Oh, and lastly...they have ONE tech support guy who is fairly difficult to get a hold of and returned my calls 50% of the time.

I know that Keisler is a sponsor for this website, which I why I chose to go that route (and why I am not naming any staff members)...but I feel that others need to be aware of my experience with them. For $4,700 of my hard earned money I expect better...

Cheers,
Matt