PDA

View Full Version : Put a set of 4.10s in the Mustang

My427stang
11-13-2010, 08:24 AM
I have to say, jury is out on whether it needed them.

The real "test" was to see if 1st gear would be too short with them (2.87 1st x 4.10) ..... it isn't, and it actually makes it a little more friendly in traffic

The second "test" was to see how 5th gear felt. Prior final compound ratio (.64 5th x 3.70) was 2.37:1

It sounds ridiculously tall but the big FE didn't mind, I just found myself driving faster everywhere based on how the motor sounded. I also have a hunch that bringing the cruise RPM up a little may help mileage.

The new setup is an almost tractor-like :) 2.62:1 compound ratio in 5th (.64 x 4.10)

It changed cruise RPM on the highway by about 250 rpm, so nothing drastic. Seems to be happy.

What surprised me was that an almost 11% difference in rear gear ratio didn't make the car "feel" significantly quicker.

Now truth be told, 1st and second spin with either gear and I didn't run it through all 5 gears in 5PM traffic on Thursday, and I didn't run it on a track, but it really didn't change the personality of the car much.

I wouldn't go much deeper gear, because 1st is pretty short now and I think more gear would slow me down and create a pretty fast drive shaft speed.

I guess this was a lot of typing to say nothing, but the Mustang has 4.10s now LOL

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

big gear head
11-13-2010, 09:11 AM
That's a nice Mustang. I love the '67 to '70 fastback, I love the FE engines and I love manual transmissions. I also love the 15 inch big 'n littles, which don't exactly fit in on a pro touring board. You have it all.

My427stang
11-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the kind words, and it is a true statement, I got the outfit except the shoes :)

Some day I do plan to get it looking a bit more modern, but the front tires just wont wear out!

big gear head
11-13-2010, 02:54 PM
No, I didn't mean that you should change it. I love the drag race look. It's just odd to see that look on this sight.

My427stang
11-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks, the old girl does look good old school, but I still get the itch now and then. So far its been all underneath, EFI, 5 speed, etc. I like that Camaro of yours too, looks like it'll haul the mail

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/08/Simple-1.jpg

NOT A TA
11-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Bad ass car! Just get another set of wheels and switch it around once in a while. Thats what I've done for many years on my Firebird. Big & little 15" Centerlines with Mickeys and a set of 17 X wide with Yokohama DOT R's.

big gear head
11-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks. I had a chance to buy a '66 Fairlane GT with a '67 medium riser 427 a few years ago for $5000 and I passed on it. No rust. It had been drag raced from around the time it was new. I could have put a battery in it and drove it home. Makes me sick every time I think about it. I love the old FE engines and especially the 427. I'm planning on building a mid '60s style slingshot dragster some day and putting a FE in it.