PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Schedule

Bill Howell
10-20-2010, 01:36 PM
I found this on HotRod website. Interesting route. Seems like a lot of the same old venues though. I would have liked for it go have gone thru Memphis again, right Charley?

2011 HOT ROD Power Tour Dates & Cities

Saturday June 4, Cocoa Beach, FL Port Canaveral

Sunday June 5, Valdosta, GA South Georgia Motorsports Park

Monday June 6, Montgomery, AL Montgomery Motorsports Park

Tuesday June 7, Nashville, TN LP Field

Wednesday June 8, Indianapolis, IN Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Thursday June 9, Muskegon, MI Downtown Muskegon

Friday June 10, Detroit, MI Metro Beach Metropark

Saturday June 11, Detroit, MI Long Haulers Ceremony (Location TBD)

Get all the Power Tour updates by texting "HRPT" to "59925."

CamaroAJ
10-20-2010, 01:59 PM
to the guys that have done this before. whats a rough guess on how much you spent to make the long haul? i don't know if i'll be able to pull off getting the car done in time but i'm tryin my best.

ProdigyCustoms
10-20-2010, 04:17 PM
I will most likly do just a few legs and U Turn at Nashville. Turns into Ground Hog Day pretty quick for me. Kinda like Bull Run without the speed!

Get up early, eat breakfast, rinse off the car, drive to the lunch break, drive to the event, walk the midway, go to dinner, drink with freinds,

Get up early, eat breakfast, rinse off the car, drive to the lunch break, drive to the event, walk the midway, go to dinner, drink with freinds

Get up early, eat breakfast, rinse off the car, drive to the lunch break, drive to the event, walk the midway, go to dinner, drink with freinds

67 455 Bird ragtop
10-22-2010, 03:33 AM
I'm just glad it starts someplace close to home so I can check out the rides. Wish mine was going to be ready for a cpl of legs. But I doubt it. But, ya never know.

Jon69RagTop
10-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Yes, but it's the best "Ground Hog Day" you'll ever have with your clothes on.

Evldoer
10-23-2010, 08:26 PM
to the guys that have done this before. whats a rough guess on how much you spent to make the long haul? i don't know if i'll be able to pull off getting the car done in time but i'm tryin my best.
I have done 4 long hauls, and I usually start out with about 2 grand in my wallet, and I have always had money left over, but I usually take a copilot along and we split some of the cost. Instead of eating out every day I keep a big cooler with food and eat out of that alot. My car gets about 10 to 12 mpg, depending on how much I beat on it. So I would say if you have 2 grand for a weeks worth of the best time of your life, you should be ok CAMAROAJ, now get to work so your car is ready for the tour!

Vegas69
10-23-2010, 09:06 PM
I will most likly do just a few legs and U Turn at Nashville. Turns into Ground Hog Day pretty quick for me. Kinda like Bull Run without the speed!

Get up early, eat breakfast, rinse off the car, drive to the lunch break, drive to the event, walk the midway, go to dinner, drink with freinds,

Waaaaah...

kochevy67
10-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Is anybody going from the midwest? I want to go but am unsure if I will drive to Florida or pick up in Nashville and go to the end. Also for you verterans is it adviseable to get hotel rooms asap or can you wait?

CamaroAJ
10-25-2010, 04:23 AM
I have done 4 long hauls, and I usually start out with about 2 grand in my wallet, and I have always had money left over, but I usually take a copilot along and we split some of the cost. Instead of eating out every day I keep a big cooler with food and eat out of that alot. My car gets about 10 to 12 mpg, depending on how much I beat on it. So I would say if you have 2 grand for a weeks worth of the best time of your life, you should be ok CAMAROAJ, now get to work so your car is ready for the tour!

thats better than i thought it would be. it would be me and the girlfriend making the trip, hopefully we can pull it off and atleast get to a few stops. thanks for the info.

lower90xcab
10-25-2010, 03:36 PM
might have to try and make a couple legs of this......

david068513
10-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I live in ga, gonna start in FL and go till al or tenn then go home.

Flash68
10-27-2010, 01:03 AM
Apparently California does not exist.... yet again.

wmhjr
10-27-2010, 06:42 AM

This has been discussed before. Apparently it's a money thing. It's hard to attract sponsorship and sufficient numbers when you either start or finish in CA because of the long distances to anywhere else. I can understand both the frustration for people wanting it there as well as the reasoning for why it isn't there.

Flash68
10-27-2010, 01:09 PM
This has been discussed before. Apparently it's a money thing. It's hard to attract sponsorship and sufficient numbers when you either start or finish in CA because of the long distances to anywhere else. I can understand both the frustration for people wanting it there as well as the reasoning for why it isn't there.

Oh I have heard the reasonings many times.... not sure I completely buy it though. And is once a decade really too much to ask to bring it back to where it all started?

I'd still love to do a tour of the midwest and east though -- just makes it a logistical and expense issue for the vast majority.

wmhjr
10-28-2010, 05:36 AM
Oh I have heard the reasonings many times.... not sure I completely buy it though. And is once a decade really too much to ask to bring it back to where it all started?

I'd still love to do a tour of the midwest and east though -- just makes it a logistical and expense issue for the vast majority.

I know it's frustrating for people out on the left coast, but think about it. It's very real - and very true. Look at the cities, population density, distance for travel to/from start/finish points, major cities along potential routes, and distances between the stops. Truth is that it's very easy to see how much easier and more convenient the midwest/east is to cater to a higher percentage of people. At the end of the day with diminishing sponsorship and higher costs, getting people there for more stops and events is the key. "Once in a decade" may be too much to ask if it won't be financially viable. Remember that "back where it all started" out of thousands of participants, there were only 6 long haulers in the CA-OH route. And there was LOTS more money to be had back then.

Flash68
10-28-2010, 09:10 AM
I know it's frustrating for people out on the left coast, but think about it. It's very real - and very true. Look at the cities, population density, distance for travel to/from start/finish points, major cities along potential routes, and distances between the stops. Truth is that it's very easy to see how much easier and more convenient the midwest/east is to cater to a higher percentage of people. At the end of the day with diminishing sponsorship and higher costs, getting people there for more stops and events is the key. "Once in a decade" may be too much to ask if it won't be financially viable. Remember that "back where it all started" out of thousands of participants, there were only 6 long haulers in the CA-OH route. And there was LOTS more money to be had back then.

You honestly don't think a sensible route and schedule can be accomplished somewhere in the west? Maybe you haven't thought much about it then. And why should you? You're in the east. You don't think there's money in the west? Sure, maybe not as much as they're used to be, but there are cars and sponsors out here. If you have more empirical data on why the sponsors will only support a midwest/east coast tour, I'd be interested to see it. Hell, if I was one of the midwest/east coasters I'd want to do a different part of the country for once in 10 years. Driving thru the same cities and areas (albeit, great routes) could easily get a little mundane. If they don't get at least close to Calif soon, I will end up driving or shipping to a location and then doing a good portion of the tour. I will get it done either way.

And "lots more money" back in the mid 90s? Uh, no. Calif was still recovering from the early 90s economic and RE meltdown. Not as bad as this past decade, but it was very bad for then.

wmhjr
10-28-2010, 09:52 AM
You honestly don't think a sensible route and schedule can be accomplished somewhere in the west? Maybe you haven't thought much about it then. And why should you? You're in the east. You don't think there's money in the west? Sure, maybe not as much as they're used to be, but there are cars and sponsors out here. If you have more empirical data on why the sponsors will only support a midwest/east coast tour, I'd be interested to see it. Hell, if I was one of the midwest/east coasters I'd want to do a different part of the country for once in 10 years. Driving thru the same cities and areas (albeit, great routes) could easily get a little mundane. If they don't get at least close to Calif soon, I will end up driving or shipping to a location and then doing a good portion of the tour. I will get it done either way.

And "lots more money" back in the mid 90s? Uh, no. Calif was still recovering from the early 90s economic and RE meltdown. Not as bad as this past decade, but it was very bad for then.

Dude, RELAX! Why don't you log onto the PowerTour site and you'll see some of the empirical data. I have no dog in this fight. I can simply recognize the simple financials of this. Please note that I did not say that there's "no money in the west". What I said was that sponsorship is far more difficult to achieve when there are fewer likely stops closer together, and where (whether it's all the way in the east or the west) coastal routes result in less potential participants. Please note that the current route is not in the "East". It's in the "South to Midwest".

Yes, there was "lots more money" back in the mid 90s. At that time we were in the height of the dot com bubble, with an artificially inflated economy. Money was flowing EVERYWHERE! Take a look at unemployment, interest rates, etc. Today is nuclear winter compared to then. Or, take a look at advertising revenues then compared to now.

BTW, I'm in the midwest. Pgh is not really the "east". Doesn't matter, though. I don't care where it is. I just understand the economics of it. Money is tight. Advertising and sponsorship money is REAL tight. Major vendors want the best bang for their buck. Cities on the left coast are a bit further apart, and you start getting into far less populated areas - meaning less exposure. Further, just look at the map. The closer a route is to the max number of potential participants, the higher the participation rate will be.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/10/PowerTour2011-1.jpg

Why are you taking this as a personal affront? I can understand their reasoning (heck, they talk about it openly on the PowerTour site and have for several years - remember, it's really not run by Hot Rod any longer). I get it, just like I get the fact that because of our weather and roads, we'll never have it come through my local area. Do you think that the people planning it just have some sort of attitude where they hate CA? Or is it just possible that they understand the economics, know their potential sponsors, have metrics about participation and long haulers, and make decisions based on that?

BTW, I did not exclude the "west". I responded to "California".

Flash68
10-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Uhh, I am relaxed. I am pretty calm actually, thanks. And with that... I am all done here. Take care.

Charley Lillard
11-01-2010, 05:19 AM
Flash...You are in Ca. You have seen Ca. Ship your car back east and see places you have never seen. Make the best of it.

Wesley J
11-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I did the Long Haul last year and had a great time. Bucket list kind of trip, if you know what I mean. BUT, who crosses something of the list twice? It was a 10,000 km long trip for me and the trip was the shake down run. Will I do the trip again, yes. This year? No fusking way, thats a long way for 50% of the continent...

To answer your question though, I spent on the order of 2 grand with 3 of us in the car. Any saving from splitting gas was offset by not splitting beer..... I get 23-25 mpg though.

Flash68
11-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Flash...You are in Ca. You have seen Ca. Ship your car back east and see places you have never seen. Make the best of it.

Trust me I want to Charley, and I do plan on it one of these days if it doesn't get closer I'd love a CO,NM,AZ,NV,CA route or something similar. I haven't seen all of the west in a car. It's just such an ordeal to do it too. I'll get there....
I grew up and lived in the midwest post-college, so I have seen and travelled by car much of the heart of the country though.

compos mentis
11-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Uhh, I am relaxed. I am pretty calm actually, thanks. And with that... I am all done here. Take care.

I have a hard time staying relaxed with that avatar of yours in my peripheral vision while I'm trying to put together a great post.

73z-6sp
11-08-2010, 05:40 PM
I just made all my hotel reservations. I hope they are reasonably close to where I need to be. Now I need to figure out how I can get my car there and back for less than it cost me to build it!

LOL

Samckitt
11-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Oh sure, I move and it comes to Indianapolis.

kochevy67
11-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Do the hotels book up rather quickly? Also is there anyone from the Chicago or an area of around 150 mile radius of here going? I was thinking of jumoing in at the Tennessee stop and finishing up in MI.

Zanie
11-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Do the hotels book up rather quickly? Also is there anyone from the Chicago or an area of around 150 mile radius of here going? I was thinking of jumoing in at the Tennessee stop and finishing up in MI.

Every year I say "next year I'm gonna long haul".
but.......
I think I'm with you for 2011: TN to the end.

PhillipM
11-13-2010, 06:04 PM
I just made all my hotel reservations. I hope they are reasonably close to where I need to be. Now I need to figure out how I can get my car there and back for less than it cost me to build it!

LOL

Did they already post the hotel list? Usually they do that closer to the event...

vintageracer
11-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Call Governor Moonbeam!

Now that he will back in office I am sure that he can "proposition" a change of route for the Power Tour to be an exclusive California event!!

Z06killinSBF
11-15-2010, 06:22 PM
My pops and I are planning to make it out, maybe AL to IL. I'm not sure on what car to take, my Mustang that needs a new drive train but is killer cool and fun to drive OR my S10 that isnt as cool but I wouldnt worry about it making the treck.

73z-6sp
11-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Did they already post the hotel list? Usually they do that closer to the event...

Phillip,

I just went by the venues listed and made reservations at my favorite hotel nearest those locations. May not be the most perfect location but I'm not too worried about that. At least not now. I will at least have a room!

tommycomfort
11-21-2010, 02:06 PM
We'll at least be in Indy! ;-) Might even try to make the trip to Muskegon, MI if time and $$$ allows.
Tom

xfordman
11-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Long haul for me, starting off from Kansas City.

BOBBYA312
11-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Hope to have mine ready this year.

jerhofer
12-17-2010, 07:59 PM
I did the Long Haul last year but don't think I will do that this year. I may catch up in Nashville, do Indianapolis and then visit friends in northern Indiana, which is where I am originally from.

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com

maxgee
01-17-2011, 12:53 PM
I did the Long Haul last year but don't think I will do that this year. I may catch up in Nashville, do Indianapolis and then visit friends in northern Indiana, which is where I am originally from.

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.comFill us in on your long haul last year....ok, good or great?

jerhofer
01-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Fill us in on your long haul last year....ok, good or great?

It was Hot!!!! Last year was my first Power Tour so we had to feel our way around the first couple days. It was a long drive from NC to Iowa just to get to the start of the tour and nearly as long back from Mobile. The total mileage was nearly 3000 miles. You do get to see a bunch of unique cars and meet a lot of people. You see some of the same cars at each venue but there are always the local cars for something different. There are so many cars, that you never see all of them.

It's kind of like the Bill Murray movie, Groundhog Day. You get up each morning, eat breakfast, drive 2-3 hundred miles to the next venue, wave at people along the way, have fast food for lunch, find a parking spot, find the stage so you can get your Long Haul ticket punched, see the same vendors who have driven like hell to get there before you, look at the cars, find the hotel, take a shower, eat dinner, go to bed and then do it all over again the next day. While I certainly enjoyed seeing the cars and the people, joining in on the tour at Nashville will give me enough of that for 2011. I didn't think the finale at Mobile for the Long Haulers was special enough. It was more of the same with long lines thrown in.

That being said, it would have been more fun if my Camaro's transmission had not puked. I was only 3 1/2 hours out so we were able to use a Plan B car to complete the tour. However, it was a non Power Tour type of car so it took the edge off. It's always more fun when you have your hot rod car there and can talk to people about it.

And it was HOT!!!! And HUMID!!! It was even hot in Iowa but, as we drove south, it became almost unbearable. Because of the huge numbers of car, the venues were normally wide open parking lots with no shade. Had the temps been more moderate, I would have looked at more cars. After a couple hours, I was cooking. This year's tour will be hot at the beginning, but, hopefully, will be more moderate from Nashville on. Muskegon should be good as it is on Lake Michigan, which is hard to beat that time of year.

cobragt
03-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Is there a reason they never seem to stop in Atlanta?

Evldoer
03-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Good question! Maybe its just too dang hot there?

vintageracer
03-11-2011, 04:45 AM
Is there a reason they never seem to stop in Atlanta?

Yes!

thedodgeboys
05-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Ok any updates on who is going on the tour?

Ill be doing Nashville to Detroit unless I get my AC working then I might go on into Florida or if other things change my mind for me.

jerhofer
05-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I was planning on doing Nashville and Indy but my motor puked. I am in the process of putting a LS1 in it but won't have it done in time.

Z06vet
05-09-2011, 11:29 AM
I'll be doing Valdosta-Nashville. Hopefully dragging a couple guys from the area with me so I don't have to fly solo. Just finishing up the camaro, been on road the about 3 weeks/500 so far. Scott

67 455 Bird ragtop
06-02-2011, 05:56 AM
While I won't be in the travel group I plan to head to the Port on at least one day this weekend to see the kick off. Should be a spectacular site !!!

tommycomfort
06-02-2011, 06:02 AM
We'll have our 66 at the Dakota Digital trailer in Indy. Would love to travel the rest of the tour from there, but are leaving the next morning for Chevellabration in Tennessee. All the PT guys need to come by and say "hey" in Indy though!

vintageracer
06-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Everyone keep your speed down to the limit.

The CHP Camaro WILL be on patrol!

ProdigyCustoms
06-03-2011, 06:34 AM
We had to reduce our Power Tour to one day. We are so slammed trying to get our inspections, certificate of occupancy on the new place all done, just to busy to go to Nashville. So we are just doing a day trip from the Port to Valdosta, drag race a few hours, and drive back home. Should be home by midnight.

I am taking the street drag car and looking for races, LOL!

Jon69RagTop
06-05-2011, 03:42 PM
See ya all in Nashville and Indy.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/11/09PowerTour075_edited1-1.jpg