PDA

View Full Version : drive train noises

dusterbd13
10-11-2010, 05:43 PM
so i did a 300 mile trip on Saturday with my 4 speed 70 duster.
car is equipped with a stock, higher mileage, higher abuse 23 spline 4 speed.
also a 8.75, used 489 case (3.55 sure-grip), moser axles, green bearings.

the car has always had a slight whine at light throttle a normal cruise speeds (before and after the gear swap, and normal being 45-65 MPH)

also always had a roar that sounds much like the blades on a helicopter on TV when you push in the clutch and coast.

well, on this trip, both got worse. on the 150 out, the whine all but went away at 70+. the helicopter noises did too, but i think they were cancelled out by road noise and mufflers.

on the way back, it was like riding with a very pissed off, very loud router buzzing right next to my head. all speeds above 35, all gears, and it changed tone with throttle changes. heavy throttle it got deeper, light it got higher. faster got louder. the helicopter noises also got much worse when the clutch was pushed in to give my ears a rest on the downhill stretches.

upon inspection, i have found some debris in the fluid, but no metal like i would expect of a catastrophic failure.

what I'm thinking is this, and i would like confirmation before spending lots and lots of money.

i think that the bearings have gone bad in my hogshead and or axles, causing a bit of odd loading on the ring and pinion, causing them to wear, thereby making the whine.

does that sound right given the description? i really don't know much about rear axles, so I'm asking for help. any other info you need, let me know.

michael

rrunner68
10-11-2010, 07:41 PM
I'd vote for the bearings. I'm not impressed with them. So badly in fact, that I picked up a spare rear end today until I can get a full floater worked out.