PDA

View Full Version : First official selections for Optima Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational

batman
10-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Just 33 days to go until the 2010 OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational in Pahrump, Nevada and we’ve got some exciting news to share. While hundreds of car owners submitted entries in hopes of participating in this unique event, the following represent this "spirit of the event" and have been selected to compete in this year’s event:

· Herb Adams ‘80 Camaro
· Bob Bertelson ‘72 Firebird
· Bruce Cambern ‘05 Ford GT
· Sean Dell ‘61 Mercedes
· Vaughn Gitten Jr. ‘69 Mustang
· Kendrick Gray Subaru Impreza
· Jim and Mike Ring ‘67 Mustang
· Dennis Linson ’62 Chevy II
· Tom Ciancitto ‘37 Ford Pick-up

For the first time this year, OPTIMA worked with several, existing regional race events to offer top contenders an opportunity to win a spot in the 2010 Invitational. The following list of entrants were invited during these 2010 qualifying events:

· Paul Arvid "Polly" Blytt ’86 Pontiac TransAm
· Brad Coomer ‘68 Mustang
· Tom Farrington ‘66 Chevelle
· Brian Finch ‘71 Camaro
· Kyle Newman ‘55 Nomad Wagon
· Brian Nutter ’02 Z06 Corvette
· Mark Stielow ‘69 Camaro
· Kyle Tucker ‘71 Camaro
· Telly Violetto ‘78 Trans Am
· Rob McGregor ‘55 F100
· Phil Gerber ’70 Chevelle

Please join me in congratulaitng the the individuals listed above. Additional Invitational finalists will be announced soon and a few invitations are being held to potentially be awarded during the 2010 SEMA Show. A committee made up of OPTIMA and industry representatives will walk the SEMA Show floor in Las Vegas, looking for the best of the best, across all vehicle segments. The final phases of the search will be promoted during the Show and will benefit the many vehicle teams who work on project builds right up to the final hours before the start of the show.

An OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational press conference will occur during the SEMA Show on Thursday, November 4 at 10:00 a.m. PT in the OPTIMA booth #23059 to reveal all final event announcements. For the current list of the OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational participants, the official rules and more information on the event, visit http://www.optimainvitational.com/ (http://www.optimainvitational.com/)

Thank you,
Cam Douglass
Optima Batteries

rrunner68
10-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Hey, I think my invite got lost in the mail AND you forgot to put my name on the list here......WEIRD!

justimagine
10-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Hey Dan there's always next year to get that big lumbering beast on the list!!

RobNoLimit
10-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks to Optima and GoodGuys! I won my spot last weekend in texas, and i am STOKED. :cheers: By running a faster lap than any of the street machine class, I was able to win a spot with a truck. Now i have more work to do. Thanks so much to jim and his crew. See you next month!

Bill Howell
10-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks to Optima and GoodGuys! I won my spot last weekend in texas, and i am STOKED. :cheers: By running a faster lap than any of the street machine class, I was able to win a spot with a truck. Now i have more work to do. Thanks so much to jim and his crew. See you next month!

Be sure you have all the fenders and doors on this time...haha
I love that truck, seen it all over the country this year, cool piece!

mpozzi
10-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Last I heard a GG Autocross win didn't get you into this year's show. If these are qualifiers, you should have received a certificate in your winner's packet. Check with Jimi and Cam to be sure ...

EDIT here ... checked the Optima website and this one event IS a qualifier. Major congrats here!!

Cheers and congratulations on the win,
Mary Pozzi

67zo6Camaro
10-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Rob that's awsome, I can't wait to here about the event. Good luck.

Brett

tommycomfort
10-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Holly smokes, we're excited to be going! Still lots of wrenching to do and we're still cleaning sand out of everything from Motorstate, but the car will be ready!
Tom

DLinson
10-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Monday night when I read this thread was the first time I've heard I was invited, way cool. I already had hotel reservations since my work is sending me. I now have to cancel the plane tickets and make arrangements to trailer the car out there. I know I should drive it but that's a long way and not much trunk space in the car. I'm also a wimp and can't handle the noise and the solid roller cam makes me uneasy on long trips. That and the fact that both tirps to events I had some issues.

I am working on the Nova as well. I'm doing some surgery on the inner wheel wells and I ordered a new front sway bar. Maybe I'll be able to get the new 13" rotors on the front too.

I sent Cam and Jimi an e-mail to confirm the above and to get needed information about the show. I hope to here from them real soon.

See you there.

bosses son
10-06-2010, 12:03 PM
We are mounting a fire extinguisher in the wagon and making travel arrangements! This is going to be a blast!

Steve1968LS2
10-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Engine is in.. 3rd member is in..

Track test and tune time is set..

:)

RobNoLimit
10-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement, it will be a blast. Now I wish I had been to Mary's clinic for some driving tips. I am currently running BFG KDW tires, 300 tw. 335/30-18 and 265/35-18. I am willing to buy a new set of skins, but I'm not sure what tire. Rules call for 200tw minimum. Any thoughts?:idea:

Bill Howell
10-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement, it will be a blast. Now I wish I had been to Mary's clinic for some driving tips. I am currently running BFG KDW tires, 300 tw. 335/30-18 and 265/35-18. I am willing to buy a new set of skins, but I'm not sure what tire. Rules call for 200tw minimum. Any thoughts?:idea:

I am sure you will get other replies here, but if I were you, I would stick with the KDWs. First, some of the other contenders will have them on their cars, Brian Finch, Kyle Tucker and Mark Stielow to name a few. TW rating is a marketing number used by each tire company. The number means nothing when trying to compare different brands. Unlike last year, there will not be any race tires allowed as this is about real street cars, not race cars. Also, keep in mind, rain or shine the event will happen, so while rain would add a whole new dimension to the event, it would be nice to have tires that can cope with that too.

BFGoodrich is the only tire company that has stepped up and helps out with different size tires for our type (protouring) cars, heip sponsor our events, and usually have a representative at them. These are several reasons to support our supporters.

I have driven over 10,000 miles in my charger this year to events all over the country, raced and driven home. For an all around tire that can both be used for racing and road trips, I am don't think you will find a better choice.

tazzz25906112
10-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Congratulations to all the above people attending and competing in the OUSCI..... I was fortunate enough to attend this event last year and can say without hesitation Optima and FM3 Performance Marketing do a great job of the event and you'll have a blast...

Now for a couple of quick inside notes,,,, keep your oil in your motor and don't repeat my mistakes of last year (trust me it's expensive LOL).... Make sure Tyler is doing your safety,,, no Anvil parts no track time LOL... Seriously though gang, enjoy this event because that track and energy is amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Again Congratulations to All.....

tommycomfort
10-07-2010, 06:09 PM
We bought a set of KDW's last year for the wagon and are ditching our Kumho Ecsta MX's on the 66 for a set of KDW's before our trip to OUSCI. Great tires and great supporters of our hobby!
Tom

PCHRODS
10-13-2010, 12:17 AM
To say the least we are friggin' excited to be going to Sema and to be participating in the OUSCI! we'll see how well these trucks can hang!! I am looking forward to catching up with everyone in NV. Kind of disappointed I can't run the kuhmo's but I totally understand the tire rule, not excited about it, but it does even up the playing field some.

tommycomfort
10-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Well, we're just about two weeks out from the start of our trip to SEMA/OUSCI. Man, we're excited! Lots of things still need to be done, but it's all starting to fall into place.
Tom

DLinson
10-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Time is ticking and I have too much to get done. I'm repairing the inner fenders for the Nova. I had to cut them up and reshape them for more clearance and I had a problem with the paint.

I got a new sway bar and I should have the new 13" rotors on it before the event.

My friend and I will be leaving the St. Louis area on Sunday morning. We'll be headed Hwy 44 Southwest to Oklahoma City where we will take Hwy 40 to Nevada. We plan on driving straight through 24 hours so we get there on Monday for the show set up.

It's way cool to have the cars on display at the show as well. I can't wait. Now if I could only get two tickets to the Pro-touring SEMA dinner, the week would be complete.

Dennis

MarkM66
10-14-2010, 03:35 AM
Time is ticking and I have too much to get done. I'm repairing the inner fenders for the Nova. I had to cut them up and reshape them for more clearance and I had a problem with the paint.

I got a new sway bar and I should have the new 13" rotors on it before the event.

My friend and I will be leaving the St. Louis area on Sunday morning. We'll be headed Hwy 44 Southwest to Oklahoma City where we will take Hwy 40 to Nevada. We plan on driving straight through 24 hours so we get there on Monday for the show set up.

It's way cool to have the cars on display at the show as well. I can't wait. Now if I could only get two tickets to the Pro-touring SEMA dinner, the week would be complete.

Dennis

Congrats Dennis! Don't worry about the paint, the whole car will need a re paint anyways, after you tear it up at the event. :razz:

If you're cutting it close on trip time, and driving through the night, I'd take an extra trailer tire/wheel, or two. Been there..

DJW32
10-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know why DSE is not running their Nova? I would love to see what times that lil car puts down with Kyle behind the wheel.

DLinson
10-18-2010, 09:46 AM
It is either an invite or win your way in. Kyle won his way in at RTTH6 with the 71 Camaro. If a vendor wanted to enter a car, it was a like a $12,000 entry fee. Besides, I bribed him not take another 1st gen Nova.

Dennis

RobNoLimit
10-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Thursday, A.M. I'm more excited every day. I have to say that Optima is doing a great job of keeping us informed and up to date. So, i put a floor and some front inner wells in the truck, and it's a whole lot quieter inside now. Track testing tues night went great. Can't wait to see everybody run. Good luck to everyone traveling, I hope all goes well for you guys. See you there.

RobNoLimit
10-28-2010, 07:47 AM
:smoke:Thursday, A.M. I'm more excited every day. I have to say that Optima is doing a great job of keeping us informed and up to date. So, i put a floor and some front inner wells in the truck, and it's a whole lot quieter inside now. Track testing tues night went great. Can't wait to see everybody run. Good luck to everyone traveling, I hope all goes well for you guys. See you there.

Tom2uk5es2
10-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Hey Rob, it's Tom with the '37 pickup. I have to agree with you, Optima is really a class act in all respects!
I was over at Magnaflow Exhaust yesterday, and they are also a class act!

I'm not too far from you, where do you go to track test?

Looking foreward to meeting you next week,
Tom C.

Bill Howell
10-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Myself, Brian, Mark, Tom and Debbie leave Nashville in the morning heading west. We should be in Vegas about Sunday afternoon. Charger is all freshened up, even got a thin coat of wax if you can believe that. We have one of the Road Tour Express kits, so we will be doing updates along the way. Everyone else, be safe and we will see you Monday.

RobNoLimit
10-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Tom, i go out to Adams Go-Cart track on tuesday nights. it's a 1/2 mile road coarse, time attack set up. Very fun, I'd love to see you out there! Heres some picts of the truck updated.

41794 41792 41793

Tom2uk5es2
10-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Wow Rob, you guys do some great work! The truck looks fantastic, I'm looking foreward to seeing it in person.

I used to go to Adams with my kart, so there must be another track there. I watched a Legends car on the kart track one time, but I can't imagine a full sized vehicle on it!

Tom C.

wicked68
10-30-2010, 04:49 AM
You guys have a great time and stay safe!

Drink plenty of water and take care of those cars :D

Congratulations again and represent!

Pagani
11-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Is the pollymotorsport trans am their?

Van B
11-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes, I believe it is in the Optima Batteries booth at SEMA and will be running tomorrow at OUSCI.

Pagani
11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Yes, I believe it is in the Optima Batteries booth at SEMA and will be running tomorrow at OUSCI. It will be interesting how to see how it will do against the top cars their.