PDA

View Full Version : Mallory Springs for My MSD Distributor?

mondy
09-30-2010, 04:03 AM
On my small block chevy, I have replaced my Mallory 85 Series HEI distributor with an MSD Ignition 8360 distributor.

My question is, can I use the springs from the Mallory distributor in my MSD to get more or less the same advance curve?

I do not have an MSD advance kit and I am hoping I do not have to buy one.

Thanks,

MonzaRacer
09-30-2010, 10:24 PM
if they are both HEI yes the springs swap for similar advance rate BUT the curve may be different as the weights and advance plate may be shapped different as that is what changes the curve. Honestly after 20+ years of tuning I find the actual best curve has been on stick weights/ca,s and just mix and match springs.
I start with lightest springs as you want your centrifugal in as quick as possible without causing detonation, then incrementally swap on stronger springs one at a time. Heck I had one car with a stock weight and a Mr Gasket weight and one light and one medium spring if I remember correctly to get curve right. it was on an old set of super closed chamber aluminum heads on sbcwith flat tops.
Actually cam up with this curve by accident as I lost one of stock weights I had ground to slow curve down, so I used the aftermarket one. oddball heads only wanted 27 total at full throttle/race tune. but wanted a tone of vacuum advance. Actually had t odo some experimenting and build that one as a frankenstien as advance was either ford or dodge to get enough movement, then had to keep cool as I welded on mount!
But it worked!
spring kits are cheap.

mondy
10-01-2010, 03:45 AM
Hi Lee,

Thank you for your reply. I always enjoy reading your ignition posts and replys.

My installed MSD distributor is not an HEI so I guess I have to buy an advance kit for it. I know these spring kits are cheap but living in Europe it takes orders from the states 10-14 days to arrive. And I was hoping to tune my ignition this weekend.
Luckily I also have other things to do.:6gears: