PDA

View Full Version : MSD 6AL wiring.

PT Goat
09-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Need help wiring my 6AL. I have the whole MSD book but my particular setup isn't directly addressed. I've got a small-body HEI conversion from Dave's small body HEIs, with the module mounted underneath. I believe it's 4-prong. I have it setup with a quick disconnect so I can switch between that and the 6AL, thus giving me a rev-limiter with an HEI backup system incase of a failure.

Power and ground are easy, as is keyed power. I'm running orange and black to coil pos and neg. Is that it? Or do I need some connection to the HEI module?

PT Goat
09-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Can anyone help?

Large Red - Power
Large Black - Ground
Small Red - Switched ignition?
Small White - ?
Small Black - Coil neg?
Small Orange - Coil pos?
Green/Purple Pigtail - ?

bingham72
09-20-2010, 05:28 AM
I believe you need to wire the white wire to the dist. so it has a ignition signal.

Try this...
http://www.msdignition.com/instructions/Products/Distributors/8500.pdf?terms=6AL+instructions+HEI

The purple and green is for a magnetic pickup.

prostreet69camaro
09-20-2010, 05:38 AM
I would call MSD and get there input on this wiring.

PT Goat
09-21-2010, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the help - I got that same MSD link sent to me on the PY boards. I think my only hangup is the use of the white wire versus the purple/green pigtail for the ignition signal. Dave uses the same connector so that has me a bit thrown.

MrForce
09-21-2010, 06:59 PM
If you are bypassing both sides of the HEI module, then the purple and green wires hook to the two wires coming from the pickup coil of the distributor. white is unused, small red is switched 12v+.

Rob

PT Goat
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks Rob - that's the conclusion I was coming to. It looks like I need the MSG GM HEI module bypass adapter, which would adapt the two wires from the pickup to the purple and green harness. Then it looks like small white wire is not used at all?

PT Goat
11-09-2010, 07:31 AM
I need bring this one back - finally all wired up and I've got no spark. Here's what I've got:

Large Red - Battery Pos
Large Black - Battery Neg
Small Red - Switched ignition power
Small White - Not used
Small Black - Coil neg
Small Orange - Coil pos
Green/Purple Pigtail - distributor pickup coil via MSD GM HEI adapter

According to my timing light, I've got no juice. The HEI adapter can plug in two ways and I've tried both. Any ideas?

Bryce
11-09-2010, 09:38 AM
The small white wire can be used as a security feature. From memory, I wired mine 8 years ago, the white wire can be grounded so that the MSD box has no ouput. I also could be wrong and I am remembering this opposite.

Otherwise it looks correct.