PDA

View Full Version : Composite rear springs

old school muscle
09-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Hello all; I recently updated my 67 RS convertable. I went from drum brakes to disk on all four, went from a turbo 350 to a 5-spped TKO 600 and installed a nice 268 lunaiti to my 327.I have a 12 bolt posi with 3.31 gears. I now have bad wheel hop problems on acceralation. I would like to keep a mostly stock look but increase the fun factor for weekend driving. I thought about composite springs but what spring rate? and what bushing do i use? Thanks

ZZ430
09-09-2010, 07:37 AM
You will hear a lot of flack about them breaking, but I have run them for 14 years on my 70 Camaro, and 10 years on my 67 without problems. They are from Vette products out of Florida.

They are rated at 200# No wheel hop at all. They come with bushings.

They say 400 ftlbs of torque max, but I'm over that on the 67.

You will save a bunch of weight too.

Mkelcy
09-09-2010, 09:22 AM
You could also try Flex-A-Form springs. They have bolt on spring eyes that allow (maybe) an inch of adjustment in rear ride height. They also custom build them for whatever ride height you want.

With composites you can also go higher on spring rate because they react faster than steel springs do. As a result, for a given spring rate, they ride smoother than steel springs. I've run the FAF springs in my '68 Camaro for about 5 years now - 365 RWTQ, 4.11 rear with a T56 - with no wheel hop issues.

aronhk_md
09-09-2010, 03:38 PM
I have the entire Vette Brake Products front transverse leaf suspension setup and rear composite springs. Bought them from a guy who never finished his project. Its going to be one of my winter projects.

I spoke with Gary at VBP...senior tech there. He said the composite rear springs will be no problem with my 1100 hp, 1000 ft lbs torque. Whats required is a traction device of some type like my traction bars. The snubber must be placed directly under the eye at the front of the leafspring, and they make a metal plate for that spot.

VBP still has some of their kist for 2nd gen F bodies, but they dont even list them in their catalog.....you'd need to call to see if they have them for 1st gen

jknight16
09-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm using Hyperco composite springs with a Watt's link to handle the lateral locating. I don't have many miles on the setup yet but I can tell you the ride is far superior to normal leaf springs, and mine are 220lb rate. Wheel hop hasn't been an issue thus far, but I haven't done enough testing to completely check that off the list of concerns.

neki67
09-10-2010, 01:01 AM
I have the FAF composite springs (just like Carl Casanova and Mike Kelcy) in combination with a Fays Watts Link. One thing I can tell you 'bout the FAF's; their bushings are worthless! Plan on converting them to e.g. Deaver Baja Bushings which is similar to what's being used by Global West on their cat.5 springs.

Have a look at the following:
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/suspension/leaf_mods.htm
http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/ (scroll down)

BTW; the FAF springs are now being sold by theGMR.com, Jason is a sponsor here. Unfortunately his communication skills are on par with the original FAF owner George . . . .

Mkelcy
09-10-2010, 06:01 AM
I have the FAF composite springs (just like Carl Casanova and Mike Kelcy) in combination with a Fays Watts Link.

Did you run the FAF's without the watts link? If so, what difference did you find with the addition of the watts link?

neki67
09-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Mike,

I decided to install the watts link since I felt to much lateral movement which was proven by the tires that would rub every now and then. That's all gone now. Perhaps using the Spherical bearings (as in the Deaver Bushings) would have prevented that as well since Carl doesn't seem to have any problem in that department. Are you still using the original FAF bushings?

Only thing with the watts link is: I now have to figure out how to route the exhaust tail pipes . . . For the moment I'm running downpipes on the mufflers.

Mkelcy
09-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Mike,

I decided to install the watts link since I felt to much lateral movement which was proven by the tires that would rub every now and then. That's all gone now. Perhaps using the Spherical bearings (as in the Deaver Bushings) would have prevented that as well since Carl doesn't seem to have any problem in that department. Are you still using the original FAF bushings?

Only thing with the watts link is: I now have to figure out how to route the exhaust tail pipes . . . For the moment I'm running downpipes on the mufflers.

I was running (I sold the car last weekend) the Deaver Baja bushings in both ends of the FAF springs. I was asking about the watts link because I plan on using a similar setup - FAFs, swivel bushings and a watts link - on my '67.

Did you notice any discernable difference in handling other than eliminating lateral movement of the rear end? How hard is it going to be to route the exhaust with the watts link?

old school muscle
09-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks for all the replys what can I expect to pay for the total set up?

CarlC
09-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I had the swivel bushings on both ends and had the tire hit the inner fenderwell if fully loaded in a corner and it was laterally shock-loaded. Think track days. No problems on the street. The swivel bushings make the condition worse than a standard bushing.

neki67
09-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Did you notice any discernable difference in handling other than eliminating lateral movement of the rear end?

Not yet, since the sh*tty FAF bushings gave in to the LS power. Had a set of regular urethane bushings and had them turned down to fit the FAF eyes. Tight fit but every time I touch the loud pedal, the whole car wants to move to the left so I really need the swivel bushings to stop the rear axle movement! Till that time not really possible to engage in some spirited driving.

How hard is it going to be to route the exhaust with the watts link?

I'm considering making room over the Fays center bar (in between the frame rails) into the trunk. That will give room to snake the exhaust pipes to the rear.

neki67
09-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the replys what can I expect to pay for the total set up?

FAF composite springs: $400,-
Swivel Bushings : $200,- to $400,-
Fays Watts link: $650,-