PDA

View Full Version : Differential Really Hot any opinions??

obengston
09-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Just got the engine back running, and took it on a spin. When I got back I was checking everything and realized the rear Diff housing and tubes were HOT. I checked the brakes/rotors and they were good. The temp reading on the housing was around 150, and 160 towards the fron/top of the housing. The tubes were around 140. The rear end is a 12 bolt moser 373 with posi. I have'nt long put the rear in the car but before I installed it I put a 1350 series yoke on it. I'm thinking I may have got it to tight, unless there is something else you may have a opinion on. I did top it off with oil and the additive. How hot is to hot??

chicane67
09-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Normal performance differnetial temperatures will run in excess of 200*F oil temperature. So a surface temperature of around 150*F isnt something I would stress too much about.

big gear head
09-16-2010, 03:54 AM
Yea, don't worry about it. That's not excessive.

MrQuick
09-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Just got the engine back running, and took it on a spin. When I got back I was checking everything and realized the rear Diff housing and tubes were HOT. I checked the brakes/rotors and they were good. The temp reading on the housing was around 150, and 160 towards the fron/top of the housing. The tubes were around 140. The rear end is a 12 bolt moser 373 with posi. I have'nt long put the rear in the car but before I installed it I put a 1350 series yoke on it. I'm thinking I may have got it to tight, unless there is something else you may have a opinion on. I did top it off with oil and the additive. How hot is to hot??
i agree with the above but how far was that spin?

if it was around the block then it might be much...do you have turn down exhaust?

Yoda4561
10-14-2010, 11:42 AM
If the diff/gears are new they'll run hot for a while, and anything less than 200 degrees isn't anything to be concerned about like chicane said. Just keep an eye on it and try not to make any long trips during the first couple hundred miles.

armourmark
10-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Good question from vince. is the exhaust causing the heat?

DriverzInc
10-15-2010, 08:03 AM
As stated above, pretty normal. An aluminum cover will help dissipate heat as well....