PDA

View Full Version : GM 8.5 10 Bolt - Rear Pinion Race Bearing Stuck

sebtarta
08-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Hello, I need some help. I am replacing all bearing, races, seals etc on my 72 Nova rear end.

The problem I am having, usually the last thing, is the race for the rear bearing on the pinion is stuck to the carrier.

I have tried with a slide hammer, torching it, swearing at it and nothing.

Does anyone have a suggestion or any other tool that is used to take these races off?

I can post a picture later on tonight if needed.

big gear head
08-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Which bearing is this? You mentioned the pinion and the carrier. Do you mean that the race is stuck inside the housing? If that is the case then use a long large punch and drive it out from the other side. There are notches in the housing for doing this.

sebtarta
08-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Everything is off the rear end, diff, axels, bearings. Except the race for the rear bearing of the pinion, the big one of the pinion.

So you say to weld some spots on the race? Then try with a slide hammer to take it off? I guess the heat of the spot weld helps loosening the race right?
(triple question sentence FTL)

edit
-----------
So i found that by welding some spots on the race it makes it shrink. Going to have to try that if my medieval actions don't work.

Tiger
08-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Going in from the front of the rear axle (where the pinion nut once was) there is a notch to hammer the race out.

sebtarta
08-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Yes, i managed to get the race out. After punching from the front and using the slide hammer it came off.

I also left it over night with PB Blaster, which i think it helped too.