PDA

View Full Version : floater rearends ???

fordsbyjay
08-12-2010, 05:36 AM
I was searching the posts for information on floater rearends and I would have to gather that not many people are using them. I am currently looking for a rearend and trying to decide what to use. For all of those using a regular rearend do you have problems with the rear axles moving back and forth when using fixed based calipers? There was only a few posts with this problem so that makes me wonder about the rest of you.

big gear head
08-12-2010, 10:55 AM
A c clip axle is going to have some movement in it. A pressed on axle bearing with a bolt on bearing retainer will have less movement. A full floater rear end is going to handle side loads much better than either one of these. The full floater rear ends are getting more popular with road racing and auto cross. They are being built lighter and with more options for wheels and brakes. I sold one to a guy with a '68 Charger receintly for this type of application.

John Wright
08-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Check out the GMR thread about this type of rear....

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70279

fordsbyjay
08-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Check out the GMR thread about this type of rear....

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70279

I have read that post and talked to Jason but the bearings are too large to for a 4 1/2" bolt pattern. I was looking at using a 31 spline unit from quick performance or 9inchfloater and GRM has one as well.

I was more wondering about how everyone else without a floater is making out with their cars when autocrossing etc.

John Wright
08-12-2010, 12:04 PM
I have read that post and talked to Jason but the bearings are too large to for a 4 1/2" bolt pattern. I was looking at using a 31 spline unit from quick performance or 9inchfloater and GRM has one as well.

I was more wondering about how everyone else without a floater is making out with their cars when autocrossing etc.pumping their brakes just before calling on them, to make sure the pad is back up against the rotor...otherwise it's a wierd feeling sailing off into the corner and have the pedal go way down towards the floor.

The GMR
08-13-2010, 08:25 AM

I was more wondering about how everyone else without a floater is making out with their cars when autocrossing etc.

You are correct, the 35 spline 2" bearing hub is not able to run the 4.5 bolt pattern, simply because the bearings are too big. We do have a 31 spline hub setup that is available in the 4.5" bolt patter (it is actually the same as 9inchfloater.com). For many of the guys out there the 31 spline is going to be the most economical option. The only down side is that you have a max of 31 spline for the axles.

thanks,
Jason

Ron.in.SoCal
08-13-2010, 10:05 AM
That was what I was getting at in my question on your floater thread. Moser says 31 spline axles are fine for up to 600 hp. Does the floater set up reduce any of that capacity/strength? Thanks Jason...

Randy67
08-17-2010, 11:27 AM
For all of those using a regular rearend do you have problems with the rear axles moving back and forth when using fixed based calipers?

I had problems with pad kickback on my El Camino 10-bolt with LS1 rear brakes (floating style caliper) and C5 front brakes. I left foot brake while autocrossing so I can tell when it was occuring. I thought it was in the front brakes mostly but ended up being more in the rear. Never a problem while on the street, only in hard corners with sticky tires. I sold the car before I was able to do anything about it.

I would think that the full floater would increase strength since the axle is no longer carrying the weight of the car.