PDA

View Full Version : Need examples of Mark VIII installs

sanddan
05-13-2005, 10:04 AM
I checked out Carls pictures of his install. Anyone else out there have an example? I just got my fan yesterday and need to mount it on the rad (aluminum).

Dan

TurboLark
05-16-2005, 07:44 AM
I dont have any pictures because the car has been gone for 2 years. When I installed the M8 fan in my Mustang I made aluminum L-brackets for the lower shroud to sit in, then up top, I drilled a hole in each side for a bolt to match the clip-nut on the upper flange of the Fluidyne radiator. Made for a very secure install.

CarlC
05-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Tony had some nice pics. I like his install as well. Check out racehome.com

CAMAROBOY69
05-17-2005, 10:17 AM
I have pics on the old board somewhere but mine are quite ugly. I made brackets that went around the radiator. The best way would be to weld to the radiator like several other members have done.
Ill post the pics if I find them of my set up.

camcojb
05-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Here's one.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

CAMAROBOY69
05-17-2005, 12:44 PM
FINALLY I found the pic of my Mark VIII fan and my ugly engine compartment. This is a pic from the old site
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

ponjohn
07-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Typically how much space did you guys have between the rad and snout of the WP?

I have a 71 ventura II with Pontiac power and I have about 3 1/2 inches. That is with a griifin radiator.

I am hoping I can move the fan around on the rad. to mkae it fit.

Thanks-
john

CAMAROBOY69
07-08-2005, 04:43 AM
I think I have about an inch or 2 between the WP and the snoud of the fan.

ponjohn
07-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Anybody have first hand experience on trimming the mk 8 fan? What is the thinest it can be < than 5 1/2"?

John

sanddan
07-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Camcojb,
Thanks for the picture, I really like your install. I think I will try to mount off the top and botton as you did. I seems a little safer than welding on the side tanks. :cool:

engine
09-14-2005, 06:08 PM
The pics of the installs, what radiator core sizes are those? seems the fan shrouds fit them perfectly.

CAMAROBOY69
09-15-2005, 04:13 AM
The mark VIII fan is 21.75 wide x 19 high. I would say thats very very close to the size of my core. Its just an Afco universal radiator and it fit perfect. Radiator was only $150.00.

engine
09-15-2005, 04:38 PM
what are the specs on that rad as far as # of tubes, tube width, trans cooler? I have a 4-row copper brass rad in my '80, designed for a 79 'vette, 27 x 19 core size. I'm going to have about 2.5" on each side of the fan that aren't covered. I'm going to try that and see how it cools. I may have to fab up some sort of extra shrouding to cover my entire rad....but I may not have to. Given the amount of CFM this fan can put out, it may just pull the right amount of air needed at idle, then at highway speeds, ram-air effect will take over. With my 18" clutch fan, I'll idle at 180 all day long. Highway speeds above 50mph, I'll run 190 straight. I think that's due to air stack-up between the rad and the fan spinning with my engine up about 3000rpm.

I guess I'll do trial and error R&D....

engine
09-15-2005, 05:18 PM
I actually just drew up a sketch of the shroud I'd have to make. For me to have it done cleanly, I'd need a sheetmetal brake. I may have to visit a sheetmetal shop, and possibly have them fab it out of stainless. If I had a brake, I'd do it myself, but I don't...
I'd basically make a rectangular shroud that would fit over my core perfectly, 27 x 19 x 1, and cut a hole 20 x 18 into it, and bolt the fan housing to that. Then I'd bend up some 14 hage steel strips and make mounting brackets to mount the fan housing and fabbed shroud to my rad support. 3 on top and 3 on bottom. The shroud would HAVE to be stainless...

On paper, should work fine...

cad
09-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Mark VIII and Taurus 3.8 fan size dimensions...
You cannot get any more detailed than this :).
Taurus: http://www.dccontrol.com/3516info.htm
Mark VIII/8: http://www.dccontrol.com/3018info.htm

Clark

CAMAROBOY69
09-16-2005, 04:52 AM
what are the specs on that rad as far as # of tubes, tube width, trans cooler? I have a 4-row copper brass rad in my '80, designed for a 79 'vette, 27 x 19 core size. I'm going to have about 2.5" on each side of the fan that aren't covered. I'm going to try that and see how it cools. I may have to fab up some sort of extra shrouding to cover my entire rad....but I may not have to. Given the amount of CFM this fan can put out, it may just pull the right amount of air needed at idle, then at highway speeds, ram-air effect will take over. With my 18" clutch fan, I'll idle at 180 all day long. Highway speeds above 50mph, I'll run 190 straight. I think that's due to air stack-up between the rad and the fan spinning with my engine up about 3000rpm.

I guess I'll do trial and error R&D....
My radiator has (2) 1" rows. I posted pics of the radiator and you can see some of the dimensions on my site in the Illusions page. Then go to engine.