PDA

View Full Version : Manual tranny vs. full manual valvebody?

DartorDemon
07-24-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm hoping to get some opinions from people who have driven both. Sometime in the next year i'm making it my goal to get an overdrive transmission in my duster. It currently has a 3spd automatic thats pretty awful on the highway.

Being a fan of manually shifting my cars, i'm wondering if it would be worth the extra effort to find a shop to do the full manual conversion(bit above my skill level) or to just put in an OD automatic with a manual valve body and a ratchet shifter?

justasquid
07-24-2010, 04:02 AM
Just my opinion. But a manual valve body automatic doesnt give me the same feeling as a manual transmission. the reason I like manual transmissions is for the clutching and throttle relation. The shifting part really doesn't do a whole lot for me. If all I had an automatic, I'm pretty sure I'd just let the transmission do its thing. I understand the idea of being able to keep the car in the gear for what ever lenth of time you want, but it looses something for me.

but again, just my opinion. I'd just do the overdrive and put a shift improver in it, but leave the valve body alone.

If you really like manuals. Have you considered dropping in a stick? A 4 speed conversion shouldn't cost more than the overdrive, and you could re-gear your rearend to suite your needs better on the highway. Or, even go 5 or 6 speed. But that can get pricey pretty quick.... but not really too much more than the overdrive with manual valve body.. at least to me, it would be worth changing if you truly like driving sticks.

DartorDemon
07-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Just my opinion. But a manual valve body automatic doesnt give me the same feeling as a manual transmission. the reason I like manual transmissions is for the clutching and throttle relation. The shifting part really doesn't do a whole lot for me. If all I had an automatic, I'm pretty sure I'd just let the transmission do its thing. I understand the idea of being able to keep the car in the gear for what ever lenth of time you want, but it looses something for me.

but again, just my opinion. I'd just do the overdrive and put a shift improver in it, but leave the valve body alone.

If you really like manuals. Have you considered dropping in a stick? A 4 speed conversion shouldn't cost more than the overdrive, and you could re-gear your rearend to suite your needs better on the highway. Or, even go 5 or 6 speed. But that can get pricey pretty quick.... but not really too much more than the overdrive with manual valve body.. at least to me, it would be worth changing if you truly like driving sticks.

Well yeah i have considering doing a manual transmission swap. I wouldnt do the 4spd because by the time i spent that much money to have it converted, i could have had a 5spd put in anyways.

I'm only planning to have a 400-450hp car, so an expensive TKO600(or similar tranny) might be overkill.

Bigblue73
07-26-2010, 11:09 AM
You have the option of the TKO 500 as well. The 1st gear is a deep 3.27 to 1 to get you moving with a .68 overdrive in fifth. A nice small block equipped car can benefit from using this unit.

rrunner68
07-26-2010, 01:30 PM
My current 727 is manual valve body, and for auto cross and the road course, its great. I run first gear till speed, then lock it in second for the rest of the run. Having a regular auto transmission and just "letting it do its thing" in drive would lead to very poor performance and a very ho-hum experience. In my personal opinion, I would do a manual transmission, but if you want the complexity and tuning of an auto for ease and convienince later, get a newer electronic 4 or 5 speed auto with paddle shifters.