PDA

View Full Version : Rear end removal

72mach1
07-06-2010, 02:49 AM
This will be my first time working on a rear end and I am just looking for some input. I plan to change out the 3rd member and just clean up the 8" rear that's original with my 65 Mustang. Any input on the process would be great, or if there's a thread covering this and you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I tried searching, but couldn't find a basic how to thread. Thanks, Brian.

big gear head
07-06-2010, 04:59 AM
If you are just going to drop out the whole center chunk and replace it with another one then it isn't a big job. You will have to remove the 4 T bolts that hold the axles in each side and pull the axles out first. Then remove the 10 nuts that hold the chunk in. There should be copper washers under the nuts. These will be hard to remove, but you must remove them before you try to remove the chunk. The washers will wedge in the holes and keep the chunk from coming out. When you remove the chunk you will have about 2 to 3 quarts of oil dump on you. Then just clean everything and use a new gasket and copper wahsers and put it all back together with the new chunk.

72mach1
07-06-2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the input. If I want to pull the whole rear end from that point to clean it up and Por 15 it, is that pretty straight forward?

big gear head
07-06-2010, 06:06 AM
Yes. Be sure that you have the car supported under the frame and remove the u bolts that hold the rear end to the springs. Remove the shocks and brake lines and it should come out.