PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 in a 68 Camaro?

LT1 OLDS
06-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Has anyone installed an Explorer 8.8 in a first gen Camaro. From what I've seen they are only about 3/8 of an inch difference in width.

Rhino
06-22-2010, 06:46 PM
I seriously considered it, however once I got to adding up rebuild parts, new housing ends, and additional costs in wheels, I would have had just about as much in it as a new 12 bolt. I didn't believe it when people were telling me, but when I got to adding it up, it was true.
If you're already planning on custom wheels, I think you'd be in a better position.

The 8.8 in the Explorers also have a rather large offset to one side. It will work, however keep that into consideration.
If you do go that route, try to find one out of a Mercury Mountaineer. They have larger axles, will almost always have 3.73 gears and limited slip.

T_Raven
06-22-2010, 11:36 PM
A few guys have put them in 4th gens by cutting the tubes off and welding the tubes from the stock axle inside the tubes of the 8.8
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/1158209-8-8-build.html

LT1 OLDS
06-23-2010, 08:14 AM
The wheels I have are drilled for ford or Chevy so that's not really and issue. I can buy one from the local salvage for about $400. from disc to disc. I just thought it might be a low buck swap to 373's disc brakes and a posi. I'll have to do some research on the offset axles.

quikws6
06-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I just got done doing this swap. I used an 8.8 from an explorer(3:73 limited slip and 31 spline can't go wrong) into my 67. It was alittle bit of work but nothing major. Most of the work came from me wanting to maintain my c5 rear brake setup but still not bad. It involved: I cut off old spring perchs and swapped them onto ford housing and cut off everything that wasn't being used. I had my axles redrilled w/ chevy pattern and had to swap the flange on the rear of the driveshaft. I installed new wheel bearings/seals to be safe due to welding on the new perchs. Also had to use new u bolts on the rear. The driveshaft is pushed right but looks like it's going to work. I'll try to post some pics. The best part is I only got $200 in it so far!!

LT1 OLDS
06-24-2010, 03:04 PM
quik WS6 you make sound about as simple as I thought it would be. How much difference is there in the width of the two rearends? I haven't actually measured an 8.8 yet.

sniper
06-25-2010, 06:51 PM
I just finished putting one in my 62' impala.
There is at ranger station, a guide to using the vin to identify the rear in the vehicle, gears and positrac or not.
I got mine for $90 brake to brake.
About $300 for custom axles from strange
$60Big Ford housing ends
$150 Diff cover with bearing studs.
$40New discs and refilled with Chevy pattern in a drill press.
$30New pads
$60Stainless lines
$30 yoke adapter

I shortened the total width 1.5" from the stock size for more clearence for some 345's .
That is a realistic price. Yes it can certainly be done cheaper.

Evldoer
08-08-2010, 09:13 PM
I dont remember what the pinion offset is, like 2 inches or so, but to center the pinion this is what I did on an 8.8 for a 64 impala. Cut the axle housing end off the long side about 5 inches,and the short side about 3 inches, swap the ends side for side and weld them on. Then install the axles and the pinion is alot closer to the center compared to where it was. The axles are 2 different lengths, this is why you can get away with this.

fordsbyjay
08-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Here (http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.html) is a link to some information on the rangerstation. Maybe it will help you out with some of your questions.

jsrocket
11-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Sniper, what is the yoke adapter you have in your list?