PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a Ricks tank? Can you fill it up at full speed?

Larry Callahan
06-17-2010, 11:46 AM
I have a Rick's stainless tank in my '68 Camaro and I wonder if we all have the same problem. I can't just squeeze the filler nozzle and fill the tank at full speed. I have to squeeze the last few gallons in at 1/4 to 1/2 speed. It's also possible it's the billet filler neck but I don't think so. I am wondering about putting a small air bleed hose from the filler to the top of the tank to solve it.

Rod
06-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Larry I also have the billet filler (from airride) and I have the same problem I added the vent hose kit and still have the problem from what i can see the pump nozzle doesn't go far enough down into the neck to reduce the back splash and sudden upward flow i have lived with it for 2 years and cant find a solution, would be great to see what others are doing, my cars a daily driver It would be nice if it was easier

Heres my vent hose pics and the hose vents thru the trunk floor

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/06/DSCN0156-1.jpg

closer view

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/06/DSCN0157-1.jpg

CamaroAJ
06-17-2010, 12:29 PM
alot of newer cars and trucks have the vent tube that runs to the top of the filler neck from the top of the tank for that reason.

FULMNTE
06-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Same problem here with a Ricks tank. Have to squeeze the trigger very lightly...

rsk68
06-17-2010, 01:01 PM
I have the same problem, I do believe we wouldnt have this problem 20 years ago or whenever they changed to these nozzles that prevent spills, I'm running the stock filler, still need to put in my new billet filler neck!

6'9"Witha69
06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
I usually have to be stopped in order to fill up.

Patrick
06-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Same problem here. I think it has more to do with the nozzles of today. So...someone needs to make a filler neck that allows the nozzle to fit at the correct angle.

Larry Callahan
06-17-2010, 05:29 PM
i usually have to be stopped in order to fill up.

lol!

Larry Callahan
06-17-2010, 05:29 PM
I have the same problem, I do believe we wouldnt have this problem 20 years ago or whenever they changed to these nozzles that prevent spills, I'm running the stock filler, still need to put in my new billet filler neck!

Wait, do I still have your filler neck?

Van B
06-17-2010, 06:03 PM
I have a Rick's 69 tank in my 67. I have to go slowly as well. I think it is because of a baffle at the base of the neck to prevent fuel from sloshing out the filler neck.

When I was a kid at the dragstrip all of the Camaros would slosh gas out of the filler if they had a stock tank.

CarlC
06-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Nick's wife: "Stop for directions."
Nick: I don't need no stinking directions!"

Same here. The vertical mount, vapor collection boot, lack of tank ventilation, and the quick-corner downward just past the cap all add up to difficult filling.

The turbulence of the fuel when near full combined with the lack of a proper venting system makes the modern vapor collection on the pumps go nuts. Going slow reduces turbulence of the fuel in the tank and the resultant pump kick-offs.

rsk68
06-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Larry,
I have everything just been lazy on the install.

TnBlkC230WZ
06-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Mine's in a 71 Nova, but I fill it a full speed. It is easier to fill than my stock tank.

PhillipM
06-18-2010, 09:37 PM
I have the same tank... I cannot fill it at full speed and I cannot drive with less than 1/4 tank or the fuel injection starves. Not too happy with them. In fact, I tell people to modify their stock ones now. Wish they would put together a product that functions as well as it looks.

John Wright
06-19-2010, 02:49 AM
Maybe there isn't enough gap between the nozzel and the filler tube to let the on rushing air escape as the fuel level displaces the air inside the tank?

Phillip....as much as those tanks cost, you would think the baffles would be adequate to prevent fuel starvation. They look nicely constructed, though.

The WidowMaker
06-19-2010, 04:17 PM
phillip, how old is your tank? the designs keep changing.

did any of you have the problems with your stock tanks? i could never fill the chevelle full speed, and the last time i filled it was 5 years ago. huge pain in the ass. i plan to route a vent tube that dumps into the filler tube. thats how our fire engines are set up, and they basically just have a cell.

Josh69
07-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Well, I've got a stock tank in a '69 Firebird...if you fill it at full speed, you'll be taking a bath in it soon enough. LOL!

Larry Callahan
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I know I am bringing up an old post but, I think it's time to re-vist it and maybe pull some heads together.

In a few weeks / months I will be installing my new Vaporworx tank in MotiV8r. Before it's installed I would like to see if we can solve this issue.

I am thinking a vent hose that runs from the top of the tank at it's highest point run to the top of the Ridetech filler neck might solve this problem?

Thoughts?

MuscleRodz
04-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Ridetech has a vent available for the filler necks (you should know that, lol), but not sure if it is big enough to displace the air from a quick fill. Something more like JP's vent would be better suited for quick fill ups. It should also take care of any fuel push out the vent on sealed cap fuel fillers.

Vegas69
04-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Sometimes I can fill up at full tilt and other times it's around 1/2. I wonder if it's the angle of the nozzle? How many modern cars fill at a 90 degree angle? The close proximity of the tank to the filler doesn't make sense as I've never had much trouble filling up a gas can. I have noticed that giving the nozzle room to breath seems to help.

Larry Callahan
04-25-2012, 09:15 AM
I think the vent tube idea I am thinking of needs to be about as large and the steam of fuel going in. So, the Ridetech and II Much's won't do the trick. I think I will try and run something large.

Protour_Pinto
04-25-2012, 10:03 AM
My girlfriend has a 2001 Impala and in California you cant put gas it it without it clicking off no matter how little you squeeze. Its gotten worse over the last year since they have been switching over to the ultra sensitive fillers. Just before she left on tour last week it took a half hour to fill the tank.