PDA

View Full Version : crappy MSD again...

H2Ogbodies
06-02-2010, 07:34 PM
You know, I have never had issues with any Mallory product I can think of...but a customer of mine just had to have an MSD distributor over the Mallory I wanted to use so I gave in....only after I insisted on a Mallory Powermaster coil. Well, fast forward about 600 miles and guess what? The pick-up coil in the MSD distributor went bad. The Mallory Nitrous 6 controller lost the signal and would not start the car. Thinking I may have a bad mallory box which would make me feel stupid, I switched to a Mallory Hy-Fire 6 and still no spark. I started troubleshooting the Mallory box and grounded the green lead and I got a spark through the coil and out to the plugs. So I pulled that distributor and replaced the pick-up lead...started right up after that. WTF? I really don't care for MSD. All this hassle which is warrantied so I ate all the labor for this one. I swear I am never going to suggest MSD to anyone. Sorry, I had to rant.

fishtail8
06-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Strange things, I've never had a problem with MSD stuff, but the first out of the box Mallory HEI I put in my truck didn't last 100 miles. Sounds like it's a crapshoot nowadays.

69lsxamx
06-04-2010, 11:08 AM
I've know of 2 MSD 6al's to fail. one was mine and one a friend had.

H2Ogbodies
06-04-2010, 12:18 PM
MSD does not care about quality control as much as they used to...they know people will put up with crappy parts so long as they get free replacements. Parts of origin for MSD components include China, Taiwan and Mexico so there's your answer. Their distributor says Taiwan, Blaster 2 coil is from China and their boxes come from Mexico. Sheesh.

liquidh8
06-07-2010, 04:34 AM
I've had 2 6al's fail, and 1 6a, all on different cars. won't but them again!