PDA

View Full Version : Rearend/axle/gears for ProTouring 69 Camaro

Danksta14
05-24-2010, 10:27 PM
ok so i am in the process of breaking down my stock Camaro and turning into a street/track PT car. I have a stock 12bolt w 3.73 gears. is there anything i should do to beef up the rearend/gears/axle. I was checking out the stuff at mosler and looks pretty nice. what are my options? how should i go about it?

MCMLXIX
05-25-2010, 12:24 AM
I would use an online calculator and punch in your 3.73 gears along with your tire size and trans ratio. Some calculators have the ratios for specific transmissions. Check out http://www.keislerauto.com/speedanalyzer.html
It also helps to know what RPM you make HP and TQ at becasue that all factors in.

I'm building a Chevelle with LS3 / T56 and 3.73 rear. I have a Moser 12bolt and made sure the yoke uses a 1350 u-joint and added a cast aluminum diff cover with pre-load bolts for added strength/rigidity.

big gear head
05-25-2010, 07:29 AM
You didn't say how much power you will be making and how sticky the tires will be. If the power level is reasonable and the tires are average street tires then you don't need to do anything to make it stronger. If you will have a lot of power and sticky tires then the housing needs some work to make it stronger. I recommend having the axle tubes fully welded by someone who knows how to weld cast iron to steel. I also recommend bracing the spring perches. The T/A Performance aluminum cover is a good idea on a stock housing, although I think it's not needed on a Moser or other after market housing. You didn't say if you have a standard differtnial or a Eaton Posi. I recommend a Truetrac for most auto cross or road racing. For street and strip use the Eaton seems to be better. If you have a old Eaton then I would replace the clutches and have the preload set correctly. Side loads from cornering put a lot of pressure on the differential bearings with c clip axles, so if they are old you might want to replace them.