PDA

View Full Version : Dana 60 / big Ford ends?

go-fish
05-08-2010, 09:29 PM
I have been searching around for a suitable housing end solution to the "green" ball bearings currently in my Strange S60. Another problem I have is the brakes. My Wilwood kit requires the ball bearings.

I need to find a source for housing ends that use a tapered roller axle bearing. I was told the big Ford ends were popular and used tapered bearings. I started searching and now see that there is a new big Ford end.

The rear end is going to be narrowed. With this, are the axles going to need to be replaced due to the ball to roller bearing? Can I just have them re-cut to the shorter length and be done with them?

Lastly, I would like to stick with Wilwood because the fronts are Wilwood and would rather not have mismatching brake brands. Also, I saw a kit for big Ford ends that used the same calipers as the Dana kit. Perhaps they could sell just the mounting brackets and the the rotors? My rotors have and incorporated drum style e brake. The big Ford end kit does not have a provision for e brake. How do you get an e-brake?

Thanks for any insight and input.

-John

big gear head
05-09-2010, 05:31 AM
Moser makes very good housing ends and they sell Wilwood disc brakes. The new big bearing Ford ends use the same bearings, they just have a different bolt pattern anduse smaller bolts than the old big bearing Ford ends. The ends that you choose is up to you because there are caliper brackets available for all of them. The Ford brakes might require a different axle hang out than what you have now.

go-fish
05-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Moser makes very good housing ends and they sell Wilwood disc brakes. The new big bearing Ford ends use the same bearings, they just have a different bolt pattern anduse smaller bolts than the old big bearing Ford ends. The ends that you choose is up to you because there are caliper brackets available for all of them. The Ford brakes might require a different axle hang out than what you have now.

Are you saying that the *new* big Ford ends use the same ball bearing as the Dana or the same tapered bearing of the big Ford end?

The main thing is getting tapered roller bearings. The bearings I believe would fit my needs is # A20 (specs. 1.530" I.D., 3.1530" O.D.), these are for the big Ford axles. Could Moser build axles with the dimensions for these bearings (old big Ford) and a 35 spline (1.5'') end inacustom length?

I do understand that the big Ford axles utilized two styles of axle bearings, ball and tapered rollers. Are the axle ends and axles inter-changeable with these two bearings? The vendor sites don't specify which bearings (ball/tapered) their weld on ends use.

gkring
05-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Use the big Ford end with ball bearing ends for the largest bearing and biggest brake selection. From personal experience pick your brake kit first, then use the correct end on your housing to match. You will probably go with ford ends as they will be the most common and therefore The most kits available at the cheapest prices. The ball bearing ford ends are much bigger than the Dana 60 ends. No need for the tapered bearings and the hassle with adjusting them.

gkring
05-09-2010, 09:35 AM
As far as tapered bearings go the stock mopar tapered bearing is preferred to the ball bearing "green" bearings. However the larger ford bearing is preferable over both the mopar choices. I went with 13 inch rotor and 4 piston fixed caliper wilwood setup on my challenger. The parking brake with that setup is an internal one. Their new floating setup with inegral parking brake is an option as well. Frank at Prodigy and Cass at www.doctordiff.com both helped alot on my setup as big bearing big caliper rear setup are not very common in the mopar world.

go-fish
05-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I had heard that the 'green" bearing wasn't ideal for cornering. I assumed it was all ball bearings. I guess this clears some things up. I had e-mailed Cass already and received no reply. I had been looking and looking at vendor sites and found plenty of sources for big Ford ends. No problem there.
Two things remain though. I will need axles for the Ford bearings and S60 35 spline ends. I'm figuring this will be no problem for Stange or Moser. Just need a conformation. Also, there is the brakes.
I have found a kit for big Ford ends from Wilwood and I'm also seeing alot of mounts and rotors sold separately as well. Hopefully, I can keep my Dynalite calipers and just buy the components to set the brakes up for the new ends.
gkring, do you have a kit part # on the kit with e-brake or any of the part#'s of the Wilwood products you're talking about? The Ford end kits I've seen on Summit and Jegs don't have integral e-brakes like the Mopar Wilwood kit I have currently.

-John

big gear head
05-09-2010, 04:49 PM
The Ford ball bearing and tapered roller bearing go in the same housing ends and fit the same axles. You can take the ball bearings off and put the tapered bearings on the same axles in the same housing ends. If you are using disc brakes then you can get the deep Moser ends so that the bearing will sit flush with the outside of the housing end and the caliper brackets will not need to be counter bored to fit.