PDA

View Full Version : Compressor in shed

rockdogz
05-01-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm planning to get a better compressor (something like this BelAir 218V (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=C1) - any feedback on this model?).

Could I put this outside the garage under one of those tough sheds for protection and then pipe the air through the wall? Any problems with that?

Matt@RFR
05-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Hey Tom, no experience with that brand. As long as you can keep the snakes/spiders/mountain lions out of the motor and compressor, just make sure nothing freezes (not likely for you) and it'll be very happy outside. An automatic drain would top the installation.

rockdogz
05-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Thanks Matt! Yeah, if it gets below freezing around here, I've got other problems... :sad4: :help!:

Spitfire44
05-02-2005, 07:54 AM
I've also thought about doing this. Nice to keep the noise out of the garage. However I would want the shed well insulated so the neighbor's don't complain about the noise. My only real concern is heat. Maybe a vent down low and one in the roof to get air circulating though. If heat ever became a real problem you could install a fan with a relay to turn on when the compressor was running.

68protouring454
05-03-2005, 02:30 AM
i have a imc belaire 318vl, a 7.5 hp 2 stage 80 gallon tank makes 32 cfm, awesome compressor, as good or better then ingersol rand t30's, i would maybe look into getting a 2 stage 5 hp, it will make die grinders/da sander work so much better, single stages run out of air fast, sometime you can find rebuilt compressors 2 stages at places for 7-900 bucks with warranty i would buy one of these 2 stages way before a single stage
jake

rockdogz
05-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Thanks Jake,
The 218V says it's a 2-stage. What's the difference anyway?

Oh, and how loud are these compared to the cheap 20 gallon compressor I have now? I'm traveling so I don't have the specs in front of me, but it does use oil if that matters.

68protouring454
05-03-2005, 06:20 AM
they are not as loud as the oilless ones, kinda a different sound, not annoying at all, i do not kow specifics but your average da sander and spraygun use 13-15 cfm at 90 psi, so your compressor should put out at least die grinders etc use more especially whizz wheels, this compressor will last longer and will make using air tools so much fun, get the 5 hp 2 stage
jake

CarlC
05-23-2005, 02:51 PM
An outdoor water heater enclosure works quite well and already has vents.

Insulation is fine but be carefull if you ever start pushing the unit hard. I smoked my two stage while head porting. A box fan goes a long way toward keeping things cool on those days when the compressor is constantly running.

I drilled a hole in the wall that was larger than the pipe running into the garage. A rubber sheet with a hole punched in it that fits tightly to the pipe and glued to the outside wall makes for a vibration-free mounting. Short rubber lines can be used to connect to permanent hardlines in the gargage to help minimize vibrations.