PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft too long? Suspension not loaded...

FatfreeGTO
05-03-2010, 08:05 PM
So I put in my driveshaft today 66 GTO Turbo 400 trans 10 bolt rear.
The body is off of the car. There is absolutely no room to push the driveshaft into the tail-piece of the transmission it is bottomed out when its installed. When the body is mounted will this change and I will end up with some play? I can't really see how it could but I'm not sure. All these parts were in the car when it was taken apart and running fine. If I do need to change it should I shorten the drive shaft, or change the yoke that goes into the tail-piece? Thanks for any help with this. I want to change it before I start to put the body back on which is coming up soon.

hotrdblder
05-04-2010, 05:03 AM
you need to have the car at its ride height to figure driveshaft length, if its bottomed out without the body etc installed you most certainly need to shorten it.
i always use mock up shocks(and or springs) to set final ride height, then get the x measurement (from tailshaft housing to pinion) then figure out what size u joint the pinion takes (1310,1330,1350)

FatfreeGTO
05-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the reply. The entire drivetrain is the same as what was in the car when I bought it, I"m just worried that the previous owner has the shaft to long and I will end up ruining my transmission. It all seemed fine and ran fine before it was all torn apart. I guess I will wait and see if I gain any slip when the car is fully assembled and if I don't I will have it shortened at that time.

Thanks.