PDA

View Full Version : leak out of end of axle

wicked68
05-01-2010, 07:14 AM
anyone had an issue with a newly installed axle leaking gear oil out the seal on the end. its a brand new axle that was just intalled and leaks even when its not hot. My mechanic put silicon sealer on it and it still leaks - he thinks the rubber seal might be pinched it came from moser.

he says he will likely need to get another flange and seal and have the old one heated and pressed off and the new one put on and reinstall the axle.
its a ford 9 inch with 31 spline axles

thoughts?

big gear head
05-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Is this a tapered roller bearing with the external seal?

wicked68
05-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Is this a tapered roller bearing with the external seal?
I will let you know on monday.

wicked68
05-05-2010, 08:05 PM
its a custom curry rear that is a ford 9 but it has modern big bearing style ford ends.

We are ordering the bearing sets from curry for it - I am getting them to send tapered bearings with the right seals and will install them on the axels moser made up.

turbo kid
05-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Well that sucks!It's always something.

big gear head
05-06-2010, 04:32 AM
That's the problem with the tapered roller bearings. When the seal starts to leak you have to replace the bearing and everything. With the sealed ball bearings you can replace the seal without doing anything to the bearing.

wicked68
05-06-2010, 10:22 AM
That's the problem with the tapered roller bearings. When the seal starts to leak you have to replace the bearing and everything. With the sealed ball bearings you can replace the seal without doing anything to the bearing.

It has sealed ball bearings now - thats what was shipped with the moser axles but apparently the way they were put on with the seals etc dont seal up very well and apparently they dont hold side loads as well as the timkens.

we are going to go buy some timkens now and press them on.

big gear head
05-07-2010, 10:12 AM
If you have the sealed ball bearings then you need to install the axle seals in the housing ends. Don't even bother with those stupid O rings that they put on the bearings. You need the factory type seal in the housing.

wicked68
05-07-2010, 10:25 AM
If you have the sealed ball bearings then you need to install the axle seals in the housing ends. Don't even bother with those stupid O rings that they put on the bearings. You need the factory type seal in the housing.

I am having them order some timken tapered bearings since these axels are for the road racing setup. they are the ones that are specced for oval track racing.