PDA

View Full Version : what wires?

megaladon6
04-24-2010, 10:55 AM
i'm looking at new wires, but am unsure of what i need.
it's a chevy 383ci 73 block with vortec heads, HEI distributor, and afterburner headers.
do i need larger than 8.0mm? do i need to buy ones for the original engine? does the Ohm/foot really matter on a street car?
thanks for the help.

H2Ogbodies
04-24-2010, 12:59 PM
You are gonna get a lot of various answers to this one but; the less resistance you have, the more spark energy you will be able to deliver to your plugs. Factor in underhood heat creating even more resistance, too. Now, I would look into upgrading the module and coil as well. The better your ignition system is, the more fuel/air you can light off and you will generally have a quicker starting and smoother running engine. Most people seem to neglect their ignition system until something goes wrong. with a more powerful spark you can open up your plug gap as well which can give you a bit of a boost. A nice ignition system doesn't add horsepower, moreover it releases a bit more potential that your engine had all along-a weak ignition system just masks it most of the time. For nice wiresets look at Taylor 409 or ThunderVolt, Magnecor or Moroso Ultra 40's. Those are about the best you can find. I wouldn't say they are overkill for the street-it comes down to whether you want the best wires money can buy and personally, for about $130, the 409's get my vote all day long-it's definitely NOT money wasted when you invest it in quality ignition components.

Pro Stock
05-03-2010, 04:32 PM
i'm looking at new wires, but am unsure of what i need.
it's a chevy 383ci 73 block with vortec heads, HEI distributor, and afterburner headers.
do i need larger than 8.0mm? do i need to buy ones for the original engine? does the Ohm/foot really matter on a street car?
thanks for the help.
You hear HP claims all of the time about this manufacturers wires v.s. that mfgs. wires, the best ones hands down are Delphi. They are used in NASCAR and NHRA Pro Stock racing not to mention others. These are high dollar wires ($600 for Pro Stock) but can be found on ebay very inexpensively, I have bought two sets there for my small block and paid $18 for one set and $34 for the other. Compared to other aftermarket wires (MSD, Moroso, Accel, ect.) they are worth about 6 hp and are very durable. And ditto on the previous post.

Dale

minendrews68
05-07-2010, 05:52 PM
I use the Taylor my self...No problems .

Carl

BonzoHansen
05-07-2010, 07:11 PM
I've used taylors w/o issue, now run msd 8.5s w/o issue as well.

86Cutlass383SR
05-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Anybody ever used or heard good/bad about the LiveWires from Performance Distributors, makers of the Davis Unified Ignition?

Here's the link for the Chevy wires: http://www.performancedistributors.com/chevlivewires.htm

H2Ogbodies
05-08-2010, 08:57 PM
I forgot about those...I would rate them as pretty high on the quality scale.

86Cutlass383SR
05-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Cool, thanks for that info. I know where I'm getting mine then, since I just bought a new distributor from them, too.