PDA

View Full Version : Rearend Decisions

DionM
04-04-2010, 04:51 AM
I'm building a 68 Camaro and putting a lightly modded LS1 - 4l60e with a Yank SS3600 stall in it. I am almost ready to build up the rear end. Just can't make up my mind which way to go. Here is what I have.
1. A Ford Nodular Center section built at Tex Racing. Got all the goodies- Detroit Locker ( I would rather it be a tru-trak ) Micro polished and backcut 3.50 gears, ARP bolts that are tied together, and custom yoke. I still need axles and a housing.

2. A 8.5 10 Bolt that I could build any way that I want.

Either way I go I am going to have to have it narrowed a touch to 58.75 wide. So I've got to by axles either way. Going to be running LS1 rear disk and already have Moser 7900 housing ends to put on either rear for a simple bolt on brake sytem. The car is going to be a autocrossing, occasional ( couple of times a year ) dragstrip, but mostly driver . I like the 10 bolt for less hp loss, strong, and looks alot better with a Moser housing cover on it. On the other hand I like the Ford for being overkill for my setup. So do I sell the Ford Nascar center section and build up my 10 bolt or do I just go straight overkill and build up the Ford rear?
Thanks, Dion

big gear head
04-04-2010, 06:35 AM
I think you would be better off with a Moser housing and axle package for the 9 inch. You can order it exactly the width that you want and you can still use the Chevy brakes with the 7900 housing ends. They also have another housing end that mounts the bearing flush so that disc brake caliper brackets don't have to be counterbored to fit. By the time you narrow the 8.5 and get axles and all of the other parts that you need you could already have the 9 inch done. I would use the tapered roller bearings instead of the sealed ball bearings for auto cross use. You could also go with a full floater if you wanted something special. I sold one of those to a guy not long ago for an auto cross car.

Is the 8.5 from a Nova or a Camaro?

DionM
04-04-2010, 07:08 AM
The 8.5 is from a Nova. The perches are already right. It was already in my 68 Camaro when I got it. Already has a posi in it. All I need for it is axles, gear, rebuild kit, and shorten the housing. I build my own stuff and the local rearend welder charges about $100 in labor to shorten my housing and the 10 bolt is done.

The only draw back to the Ford unit is that it has a Detroit Locker in it. I don't think I could stand driving around on the street with that for very long. So that'll be a costly change. I could almost get enough out of selling the center section to redo the 10 bolt to handle anything I can throw at it which free's up some money for other parts ( and I still need alot ). I just don't want to regret it down the road.
Thanks, Dion

funcars
04-04-2010, 07:39 PM
For autocrossing or road racing the right diffrential really helps. You're right about the lockers - they are primative. The most choices will come for a 9 in.

If you go 10 bolt you won't have as many options later on if you decide you want to change it.

The GMR
04-09-2010, 07:34 PM
We can build you a housing to any width and specifications. Even custom link mounts ect...

Here is a link to our site.
http://www.thegmr.com/PTDrearends.html

or you can call us at 562 595 5410

Jason