PDA

View Full Version : Oil In My Distributor Cap

67Camaro RS/SS 350
03-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I pulled the dizzy cap off today and noticed some oil inside it. Also, the module(Pertronix Ignitor 2) has some traces of oil on it. What does this mean? Does the dizzy tube have an o-ring that seal the dizzy shaft so oil can't wick its way up like I am having?

MarkM66
03-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Is your oil pressure sending unit tapped near your distributor?

Maybe it's leaking, and sprayed some oil into the dist.

A gasket goes between the dist. and the intake.

David Pozzi
03-20-2010, 10:32 PM
There is very little to prevent oil from traveling up the shaft and getting into the distributor, there is no seal just shaft and bushings. Oil in the distributor cap indicates either excess blowby, or plugged crankcase vents, either way, it's excess crankcase pressure pushing the oil up.

Run a PCV valve, check that it is working properly, and make sure there is a vent.

A band of oil or light grease, even rust is common about half way up the side of the cap. This is from the advance weights, and lube between the dist shaft and advance cam. Oil from the crankcase comes out under the cam lobes so the oil looks more like engine oil and is on the point plate.
David

Takid455
03-21-2010, 06:08 AM
there is a seal/ cover under the pick up coil that deteriorated and or is not replaced when rebuild sometimes. it is a clear/ yellowish color. see if you have one there. you will need to disassemble the dist to see it.

67Camaro RS/SS 350
03-21-2010, 08:33 AM
David, this is a Pertronix distributor so there is no points plate. I do run a PCV and it still rattles if I shake it. Does that mean it's still functioning? The valve is from a vehicle other than a 67 Camaro since it's in the valve cover. I have read that I should vent both sides of the motor. Since I run Hydroboost, can I run a 2nd PCV valve in the passenger valve cover and run it to the rear 3/8"npt port in the rear of my Q-Jet? The current valve runs to the 3/8" nipple on the front of the Q-Jet. It wasn't a lot of oil, but it is there. Excessive blowby would also be pushing oil out of the breather, right? The plugs would have oil on the threads as well? I don't get any of that. No oil in the intake plenum either.

67Camaro RS/SS 350
03-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Takid, this is not a standard points or HEI dizzy. I run billet style Pertronix unit. I have had it apart many times and I have not seen any seals inside.

David Pozzi
03-21-2010, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't add a second PCV, one is plenty and two would screw up your idle.
If the dist is fairly new, I'd run it for a while and see if you still get oil.
To test for blowby cap off the PCV and drive the car till it is good and warm, then stop and take a good look at the breather with it running, and rev it a few times, do you see blowby? You can also put your hand over the breather tube and feel for air.
David

Beebe 71HO TA
03-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Hi
There is a seal or 2 in the dist that oil is getting by,You Will need to send the dist out and have it rebuilt before the oil coats the insides and the car stops running, I have seen this before