PDA

View Full Version : DSE rear end options

daredvl22
03-15-2010, 12:46 PM
I was looking through DSE's web site the other day, as I'm debating on a few different rear end options. I've always used 10 and 12 bolt rears, but I'm toying with the idea of using a Ford 9" to try something different. I've heard the arguements back and forth regarding 12 bolts and Ford 9". It appears the 9" can handle more power (...maybe not). Anyway, just for the heck of it I priced out a DSE 12 bolt with upgraded Eaton posi & 33 spline axles, alum. support cover, and powder coat. According to DSE this set up can handle 600+ hp. Total price = $3,645. I then priced the 9" w/ alum center section/support rated at 1,200 hp and powder coat. Total price = $3,685.

Now, I have not called DSE to discuss, nor do I mean any disrespect. I've purchased ALOT of their parts, and been extremely happy. I'm just curious what you guys think. If the 9" is capable of handling so much more power, for about the same price....is the only reason why someone would want the 12 bolt is to keep the "GM look" under their car? Again, I am by no means an expert, just curious. From a lamen's perspective, it seems that the 9" is the obvious choice. I know I know,....it all depends on the transmission, tire size, etc etc. However, if one is rated for double the power, does it really matter? Sure it's overkill, but for the same price why not? Am I missing something?

Lastly, has anyone had personal experience with DSE's rear ends? Seems a little high in price, but I'm sure you get what you pay for From DSE. At least I would hope....

Thanks,

Vegas69
03-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Call Frank at Prodigy Customs, he can get you a Moser that will handle plenty of power for less.

daredvl22
03-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks Todd, I will contact Frank when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

However, this doesn't answer the question. I would expect the 9" to cost much more (....or rather the 12 bolt to cost a lot less) based on the hp ratings.

I'm sure Frank can set everything up to accept DSE's Quadralink? I've already installed everything - minus the rear end (obviously) with the correct mounting plates welded to the axle tubes.

Vegas69
03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
My Moser 33 spline tru trac is rated for 700-800 hp I believe. The main reason for 12 bolt vs 9 inch is the additional 2-3% to spin a 9 and they are heavier.

big gear head
03-16-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't understand why the big difference in the power rating. The 12 bolt can handle much more than 600 HP. I don't know who is making the rear ends for DSE, but I would suspect that Moser, Strange or Mark Williams is supplying them. I went to the DSE sight and couldn't find any rear ends, although I didn't look hard. What is included for that price? Does that have brakes too? That's a very high price for just a rear end. You can get a Moser much cheaper.

Rybar
03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Dave I am in the same dilema as you. I am really liking Todd's Moser 12-bolt option.

JeffT
03-16-2010, 12:45 PM
The hp ratings you are seeing on the DSE site are for the center housing case on the 9" and the Eaton posi unit on the 12 bolt. They are claiming that the 9" nodular iron case with aluminum pinion bearing support is capable of supporting up to 1500hp, not the entire 9" assembly they are selling. On the 12 bolt, they are claiming the Eaton posi is capable of supporting 600hp with the 33 spline axles.

big gear head
03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Yea, the only 9 inch Ford differential that I now of that can handle that much power is the Wavetrac, which is about $900 alone. Most 9 inch Ford differentilas are not able to handle any more than the Eaton Posi, and many can't handle as much as the Eaton.

ProdigyCustoms
03-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Todd is correct.

We can do a 12 bolt or a 9", with the brackets jig welded, same specs as you listed for way less money.

Call me

Ron.in.SoCal
03-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Todd is correct.

We can do a 12 bolt or a 9", with the brackets jig welded, same specs as you listed for way less money.

Call me

That's what I did. Called Frank for a Ford 9, DSE Quad brackets welded and powdercoated and the read-end came out slick...