PDA

View Full Version : Ford 9" and OCD?

SLO 65
03-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I just purchased an Art Morrison chassis with the C6 Corvette front suspension and 4 bar rear. The Corvette hub uses a metric bolt pattern and studs while Art Morrison only offers a Strange axle with an "english" pattern and stud.
Thanks to a little OCD this is going to drive me nuts.
Options:
Have english studs made for the Corvette hub?
Use a different axle supplier that will accommodate a metric pattern and stud?
What is everyone else doing. Anybody have any good options or suppliers?
Thanks,
Nick

parsonsj
03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
I used ARP metric studs up front and 1/2-20 screw-in studs in the back. You'll have to remember which is which.

No big deal, really.

jp

Bryce
03-09-2010, 04:18 PM
does the corvette hub have threaded studs or press in?

SLO 65
03-10-2010, 07:27 AM
does the corvette hub have threaded studs or press in?

The studs for the corvette hubs are press-in. Using a 1/2 stud in the Corvette hub may be the best idea.

barraza
03-10-2010, 08:37 AM
The Corvette hub uses a metric bolt pattern and studs while Art Morrison only offers a Strange axle with an "english" pattern and stud.

The corvette uses a metric pattern only in the sense that it is the typical 4.75 inch chevy pattern measured in mm.

4.75in = 120.65mm

They are the same bolt pattern(bolt circle), but the threads on the stud ARE metric. Just use different nuts front and rear.

novaderrik
03-10-2010, 10:43 AM
put proper SAE studs in the vette hubs. they probably use the same knurl diameter as every other GM passenger car with 12mm studs built since the 80's, so i'd think that it should be possible to find a 1/2" stud with close to the same knurl diameter- hit up a decent local parts store and find a parts guy that likes to open up the books and do some research..

yup.. a quick lookup on www.dormanproducts.com says that the C6 vette stud- 610-254- is the same stud that has been used since the early 80's on pretty much every GM car with 12mm studs. it has a knurl diameter of 12.73mm (.501") and is 41.5mm (1.633") long. just looking thru the selection of wheel studs on that site, i found several 1/2" studs that should work in the stock holes in the hubs. mostly they were in 70's Ford products with knurls around .510" or so- which should work in the vette hubs, i'd think, and they even have the nut starting non threaded part at the end of the stud, just like race cars..