PDA

View Full Version : Goodguys events 73 and newer cars???

sr73bu
02-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Hey guys.. I'm pretty new here and I had a question and some comments that i'd like to hear your opinions on....

Any updates on the "72 an older" rules?? This rule applies to many other car shows too, and has for many years (at least 20 years that I know of) Anyone think its time for an update? There are alot of great cars out there after 1972 (a ton on this site) that i'm sure would fit right in at the autocross event. I'd love to run my 73 Laguna (if its done in time) at the Goodguys Pocono event this year... and so would a few of my friends (PT 77 T/A and a PT 78 Malibu)

Maybe the cut-off should involve gererations? (EX: gen1, 2 and 3 Camaros...Gen 1,2 and 3 Chevelles etc....) This way the entire generation of cars can be included (ex: 70-81 camaros) since they are pretty much the same cars or at least the same chassis.

I know Mary Pozzi kicks butt with her 73 camaro... Why cant I give it try with my 73 Laguna?

just my 2 cents...

class67
02-26-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't know what the show is called back at Pocono but if it is called a Goodguys "Get-Togther" it is usually open to all years makes and models as long as it is american powered...

mpozzi
02-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I agree that the cutoff year should be '72 + 1 as for the Camaro's, the big bumpers didn't start until 1974. There's no way you can tell which year second-gen Camaro you're looking at if it's an early, solid-bumper car. At least from the exterior ...

I can't speak for other manufacturer MY's.

This would be a good question for the Good Guys staff and you should send them an email inquiry.

Mary Pozzi

vintageracer
02-26-2010, 05:26 PM
NSRA is now 1980 and earlier for 2010.

Goodguys will not be far behind!

sr73bu
02-26-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't know what the show is called back at Pocono but if it is called a Goodguys "Get-Togther" it is usually open to all years makes and models as long as it is american powered...

I looked into it... its not a "get-together"... I guess I can take Mary's advise and call or e-mail... My problem is its a 2 hour + ride to pocono... and with a 4-speed and 4.11 gears, I dont want to take a chance and not be able to get in... thats a lot of gas..haha

thanks for the heads up though...

79-TA
02-26-2010, 06:05 PM
If you don't get clarification, just say it's a '72 when you sign up. The person letting you in the gate won't know the difference.

mpozzi
02-26-2010, 08:51 PM
If you don't get clarification, just say it's a '72 when you sign up. The person letting you in the gate won't know the difference.

:ssst:, no one will even question it if the two model years look the same. Check on the Good Guys website and event information as they'll tell you what years are allowed. It will also be on the entry form (both online and paper).

Good luck and go fast if you get there,
Mary Pozzi

mattzoom
02-26-2010, 09:05 PM
there should be exception, like my 1987 buick grand national should be let in the show.

79-TA
02-26-2010, 09:32 PM
there should be exception, like my 1987 buick grand national should be let in the show.

Well, come on up to the Costa Mesa event in May. It's open to any American powered vehicle.

But really, that kind of logic would open the floodgates for more "if him, why not me too?" type arguments.

mattzoom
02-27-2010, 12:32 AM
its all good i jus take the 70 z28 to the del mar goodguys show

sr73bu
02-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Well, come on up to the Costa Mesa event in May. It's open to any American powered vehicle.

But really, that kind of logic would open the floodgates for more "if him, why not me too?" type arguments.

I agree to the whole flood gate thing too, thats why i think in the future some of these shows should start thinking about body style or chassis generations, rather than a specific year....

Thanks for the input everyone!

Later-A-body
10-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Well, I spoke with the people at Goodguys this morning regarding this subject. I was told to speak with Harry Davies. I believe his title is Events Coordinator. He will be out of the office until 11/2/10. I will be contacting him next week to discuss the idea of extending the years of the vehicles allowed to participate. If your someone like me with an "Alternative Muscle Car", you cant be included in a like body style such as a '73 Camaro, or "73 Cuda, that are almost identical to the '72 models. As with sr73bu, our cars are new body styles so we may not be able to get away with lying about the year of the car. I think a 1981 cutoff year would be a good compromise. I do agree that certain cars like Turbo Regals are great cars, so how do you say no to them?

dontlifttoshift
10-28-2010, 09:42 AM

Just curious, why should your car be let in?

Well, I spoke with the people at Goodguys this morning regarding this subject. I was told to speak with Harry Davies. I believe his title is Events Coordinator. He will be out of the office until 11/2/10. I will be contacting him next week to discuss the idea of extending the years of the vehicles allowed to participate. If your someone like me with an "Alternative Muscle Car", you cant be included in a like body style such as a '73 Camaro, or "73 Cuda, that are almost identical to the '72 models. As with sr73bu, our cars are new body styles so we may not be able to get away with lying about the year of the car. I think a 1981 cutoff year would be a good compromise. I do agree that certain cars like Turbo Regals are great cars, so how do you say no to them?

Keep us posted on your conversation with Harry. It will be interesting to see what happens with this. NSRA brewed up a ****storm when they raised their cutoff to a 30 rolling ( as long as it is 30 years old its in). Keep in mind they made their jump from '48 and earlier to '80, that's huge. The problem with the year cutoff is like you already stated, the body styles remain unchanged for several years. If you go to a cutoff of 81 then fox body mustangs get in......

As far as saying no to a particular car no matter how great they are, its Goodguy's sandbox we're just playing in it.

That said I think the 72 cutoff is fine but I think my '62 Buick is a latemodel :-)

DynoDon
10-28-2010, 12:05 PM

COSTA MESA if OFF the schedule for 2011! :crying:(but there will be two Del Mar's, 2nd one on Thanksgiving)

Bad94
10-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I think 1974 or 75 would be a great cut off year.

Im a NSRA member and have been going to the NSRA Nats for about 7 years now, and i was super happy that they opened it up, but i think that 1980 is a bit high. This means that i dont need to build a 32 pickup.

sr73bu
10-29-2010, 08:51 AM
I posted this before in another thread...

Its time to open up to a few more years! maybe every 5-10 years of the show they allow 2-3 more model years to attend... I understand they have limited space but there are alot of hot rodders that have 73+ cars that are very, very nice... how do you expect to keep the hobby going or expect new creative ideas when you have allowed the same model years for so long? So you mean to tell me a fully restored 1973 Grand AM or Chevelle can't get in, but a 1972 Chevelle with primer spots and rot holes is acceptable (nothing wrong with that, i love rat rods too)? Bump it up to 1975, see what happens... they are missing out on some truely awesome cars. You may even get more attendence at venues.... C'mon I wan't to drive my 73 out to Columbus next year... dont they want my money????!!!

I guess it just sucks to be so involved with the hobby and not be allowed show off your car/ craftsmanship.... I also want to do the autocross (this may be the biggest deal for me), it would be fun to participate with older cars... rather than going to a local autocross and watching miata after miata go around cones.... Possibly open up the autocross only to later cars???

Later-A-Body, let me know how you make out with Goodguys on the phone.... i dont mind calling too. shot me a PM, our points are very valid and should be considered, 75 maybe a good cut-off for now...hey, we could always argue that our cars were built in 72.... haha.

-Sean

coolwelder62
11-01-2010, 08:10 AM
IMHO!! Show's like the KC goodguy's should be opened up to any american powwered car because there car count's keep dropping. So they should do something quickly before they lose a great show.Let's open it up and get more young kids involved.Those newer cars are ones they can aford.These shows where the car counts are down are where can they can make changes.The shows w/ higher car counts they can leave the same.

wmhjr
11-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Maybe one solution would be to only open up pre-registration to pre'73 (or whatever year) cars, but then after that open up to later years if there is room? I agree that we need to add some to the years, though I do think there are limits. Though I have nothing against the cars, and a good friend races one, I'm really not interested in a late 80s camaro at a GG event. It just feels like the wrong venue for that. Kind of like going to a gentlemans club and seeing a ballet dancer :) (Not that I participate in either for the record)

Later-A-body
11-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Today I spoke with Harry Davies at the Goodguys. He is the events coordinator. We had a very long conversation regarding the current '72 and earlier policy for vehicles at their non "Get Together" events. As we discussed on the forum earlier, there are a number of us with 1973 and newer vehicles that are looking to participate at many car events across the country. I had the opportunity to discuss this with Mr. Davies. He was very receptive to the idea, and was very generous with his time. He explained to me the reasoning for the policy, and did admit that it is a subject that has been discussed at the Goodguys organization many times. While at this time there will not be a change in the policy to include 1973 and newer vehicles, he did advise me to encourage anyone interested in voicing their opinions, to send e-mails to [email protected] . They do read all of the messages received. He explained to me that some venues are "Get Togethers" because those facilities can absorb the extra cars, whereas other venues can not. Del Mar is an example of a site that can not handle the extra vehicles...which excludes me from going to the event. I thanked him for his time, and expressed my appretiation to him for taking the time to speak with me. We both agree that many cars newer than 1972 are cool, and if possible in the future, there may be some room for negotiation. So it is not a dead subject. I would encourage anyone intersted in furthering this discussion to contact them to express your opinion.Thanks.

Sean Tobin

sr73bu
11-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks for speaking on our (guys with 73+ vehicles) behalf Sean. I'll be sure to send an e-mail expressing my opinions and thoughts... I like the idea of a pre-registration for 73 and newer cars, which may help keep the numbers of entrys low for smaller events... this would also help increase numbers for larger venues (this could have saved Goodguys Pocono which is gone in 2011). I'd like to drive my car to the Columbus Ohio event, I guess i'll just have to cross my fingers for a rule change. Thanks again

-Sean

craigs73
05-17-2011, 09:50 AM
hey sean is there any updates on this? i have a 73 as well and one day when i get mine done i would like to show it at the columbus event as well!!! are you still going to columbus this year? i will be there im planning on being there july8 thats friday as long as i get the day off

jfreakofkorn
05-17-2011, 10:16 AM
73 was a funny year. They came out with some new body styles and contiuning with some others. For instance Camaros, Challengers, Novas, and Mustangs. Just dont know at why besides government regulations.

SLO_Z28
05-17-2011, 04:50 PM
There are a few 1973 Camaros at the GoodGuys events. Mary Pozzi has a 1973 camaro for example.

I wish I could take my 74 Z28 to the "nationals" events, but I am enrolled in the "Get together" at pleasanton in June.

79-TA
05-19-2011, 01:15 AM
For those events, Mary's car becomes a "72."