PDA

View Full Version : Hotchkis UCA's don't fit my 67 GTO

GTOConno
02-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Hello, I bought these on eBay a few years back. They were listed as pn#1103c GM A-Body w/ the F-Body (tall) spindles. They were brand new and came with the assembly instructions, original box, etc.

I have a 67 GTO that I'm putting them on and they don't fit. The inside of the arms and the bushings are hitting the frame mount. (see pic) Clearly this does not fit right.

Anyone else run into this? Maybe this part was listed incorrectly and is for another vehicle. ??

PS - I know the bumper bracket is on backwards.

Thanks!

killer69
02-23-2010, 07:28 PM
in their defence we have seen alot of variations in the a body upper mounting brackets, mostly on the non Chevrolet models. in most cases all that is required is a little manipulation. how does the camber look at ride height? your going to need 1/2 of shim in ther just to mount the arm. that interferance looks excessive??? on a side note your brake line looks really short? unless it is not all showing in the pic

GTOConno
02-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks, I'm not saying that Hotchkis has a poor product, just doesn't seen to fit my app without some grinding, etc. Even w/ 1/2" of shim the arms would rub against the frame mount.

Are Chevy's, or the '68 - '72's A-Body's UCA frame mount different than the '64-'67?

The brake line you mentioned is long enough, the red sleeve is at the midpoint of the line.

Thanks for the response

mjoc1
02-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Hello, I bought these on eBay a few years back. They were listed as pn#1103c GM A-Body w/ the F-Body (tall) spindles. They were brand new and came with the assembly instructions, original box, etc.

I have a 67 GTO that I'm putting them on and they don't fit. The inside of the arms and the bushings are hitting the frame mount. (see pic) Clearly this does not fit right.

Anyone else run into this? Maybe this part was listed incorrectly and is for another vehicle. ??

Thanks!

Those don't look right for a 67 GM A body. At least to my eye. I have the global west but they look nothing like that on my 67 Buick GS

Mike

Yoda4561
02-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks, I'm not saying that Hotchkis has a poor product, just doesn't seen to fit my app without some grinding, etc. Even w/ 1/2" of shim the arms would rub against the frame mount.

Are Chevy's, or the '68 - '72's A-Body's UCA frame mount different than the '64-'67?

The brake line you mentioned is long enough, the red sleeve is at the midpoint of the line.

Thanks for the response

I visted the hotchkis website to look up that part, says it's good for your model year, as well as the 68-72. They'll prolly find this thread eventually, but you might wanna PM the hotchkis rep and see if they have any advice.

MrQuick
02-23-2010, 09:48 PM
I had to trim the ears on my 68. Those arms don't look the part though..... also you will gain more clearance when the car is at ride height.

vince

GTOConno
02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks,
I have emailed Hotchkis with this same pic a while ago and asked if this was a common problem. They responded by saying the problem was that I had the bump stop on backwards (which I knew). Not much help there.
There doesn't seem to be a part # stamped on the arms. They measure 8.5" from inside to inside of the arms, and 8" from inside face of bushing to inside face of bushing.

Does anyone have these on a g-body or ?? that may have the same dimensions?

Thanks

chevyhector
02-24-2010, 03:03 PM
This is just my visual opinion, are you sure you have them on the correct side. meaning: driver side on the driver side and passenger side on the passenger side?

GTOConno
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
They are the same dim's (size) right and left side.

Thanks

chevyhector
02-24-2010, 03:55 PM
But the outter bend looks to be a bit different, but what do I know! lol !

monteboy84
02-25-2010, 05:57 AM
It looks to me they're interfering the same amount on front and back of the bracket, so swapping side to side wouldn't gain anything anyway.

I guess if it were me I'd just cut down the brackets and box the ends to maintain strength. Not exactly what you want to do if you're going for a straight-up bolt-on, but aside from going with somebody else's A-arms (which may have the same issue) I don't see an easy alternative.

Hotchkis
03-02-2010, 12:20 PM

Thanks!

Were these purchased used? From the looks of things, that is not a Hotchkis cross-shaft.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
Our shafts are machined out of billet chromoly, and what you have below appears to be a factory style cross shaft. With that said, the cross shaft is what determines the width of the bushings on the arm. So, if someone put a narrow factory cross shaft (like a G-Body shaft) onto it and tightened things down, it will make the arm not fit. If you want to go with these arms just grind the frame down a little and you'll get the minimum 1/16" clearance you need.
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=36416&d=1266965814

Rod
03-02-2010, 01:41 PM
buying second hand from ebay!come on guys! there's a reason the price is so low and on ebay! Just buy from a local speed shop, a builder shop, or the manufacture, HELL the few extra dollars saved getting it second hand on e-bay or the swap meet isn't worth the headaches, I can't tell you how many guys come in the shop with second hand swap meet parts that are wrong, and then look surprised, when I tell them it doesn't fit, do you really think that the guy that paid his 12 cents to list his part on ebay has the risk and rewards your local shop has in there reputation? NOPE they just change their name and move on, I can't pack up my buildings, employees, and products, because I ripped you off for some control arms!!