PDA

View Full Version : iPod connected directly to an amp

67 455 Bird ragtop
02-21-2010, 08:38 AM
If you have no head unit and just want to use your iPod for your stereo system whats the best way to connect it to an amp ???

parsonsj
02-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Search is your friend:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59371&highlight=ipod+head+unit

Steve1968LS2
02-21-2010, 10:00 AM
yep.. it has been discussed.

We ran the iPod in Penny from the headphone jack to the amp.. works great except the idiots at Apple made it so the unit won't charge when outputting audio through the headphone jack.

No good reason why, just some stupid thing they did in the software.

67 455 Bird ragtop
02-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Search is your friend:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59371&highlight=ipod+head+unit

Did a search and saw that one but the subject line made me skip over it. Good info. Thanks.

parsonsj
02-21-2010, 12:56 PM
I was very happy with my final solution. All the controls were at my finger tips (though the volume was just a big tricky), and the fidelity was very good, once I got the Navone piece in place.

I don't if I'll ever install a head unit again. Just use the iPhone or iPod. Let us know how you make out.

jp

vannatta20
08-15-2010, 08:37 AM
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep.php?prod_id=446

This increases line out voltage to the amp for better sound quality and you have a knob to adjust volume

TA219
09-16-2010, 12:12 PM
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep.php?prod_id=446

This increases line out voltage to the amp for better sound quality and you have a knob to adjust volume

This is exactly what I have and I think it works well. It uses a set of RCA inputs, so you can literally use any input source you want. I chose to use the iphone kit that charges the phone while it is being used (Isimple IS76)

parsonsj
09-16-2010, 01:46 PM
The very latest: using iOS 4.1, you now have volume control on your iPhone if you use a Bluetooth adapter to connect the iPhone to your amp.

Now to find an amp with built-in BT support.

jp

strtlegal
01-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Would guys mind sharing what you did? I see the link and have read alot of back and forth noise issues with the Ipod or phone but can not get a clear understanding what I need..

The link is gone bye bye...

I'm running two 6.5" front kick speakers and some sort of 6x9 in the back. Do I need a 4 channel amp? What type of amp? One that has volume control I assume? What about the connections that is needed from the Ipod to the amp. I know its a simple RCA connection but waht about the noise issue John had? Can the Ipod be charged through the amp?

Any help would be great

gkring
01-18-2011, 04:42 PM
yep.. it has been discussed.

We ran the iPod in Penny from the headphone jack to the amp.. works great except the idiots at Apple made it so the unit won't charge when outputting audio through the headphone jack.

No good reason why, just some stupid thing they did in the software.

Use my 3GS at my shop all the time with a headphone jack to the shop stereo rca jacks and an ipod cable plugged in the wall to keep it charged while playing songs, pandora, etc all day long.

parsonsj
01-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Chuck, have a look here. I think it addresses your questions:

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?59371-Battling-alternator-noise-in-stereo-Here-s-your-solution!&highlight=parsons+iphone+navrone

strtlegal
01-19-2011, 08:19 AM
I looked at that thread I did notice a few key pieces, but let me ask you this. In the end was it actually easier? When I call Crutchfield they are very un helpful. He says he's not sure of what kind of adpaters I would need.

So my question is, What turns on the power to the amp? Typically its a head unit, or can you use a key hot?

With all the little things you used including the noise suppressor did you save any money over buying a decent deck? Or was keeping it clean the priority in going this route?

Thanks for all the help. Im trying to decide if using your idea would suit my needs, I don have an aftermarket gauge panel so cutting it up wouldnt hurt my feelings.

parsonsj
01-19-2011, 08:33 AM
My setup had a 2 channel amp, 5 speakers (2 mids, 2 tweeters, 1 sub), 2 crossovers (part of the speaker kit for the mids and tweeters), the Navone part, a volume control, and the PAC connector.

The PAC connector goes from the iPhone (via dock connector) to the volume control to the amp, all done with simple RCA connectors. The Navone part takes switched power and chassis ground, and supplies switched power and ground to the PAC connector plus the power (turn-on) signal to the amp. The amp's main power comes directly from the battery.

It's a *lot* simpler than connecting up a deck, pre-amp, and amp system with aux input for your iPhone/iPod.

Hope that helps.

jp

strtlegal
01-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Perfect..I saw the part numbers you listed, I werent sure what they were so I Googled it...Makes sense. I think the only other question for you is, I will most likely using my spare Ipod Touch I have so do I still use the PAC ICAV2? When my Ipod is hooked up to my radio directly I think the face stays lit was that the case on your phone?

Thanks Jon.

I know this is all simple stuff just want to get my ducks in a row before I start ordering parts.

BonzoHansen
01-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Search is your friend:

corrected link:

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?59371-Battling-alternator-noise-in-stereo-Here-s-your-solution!&highlight=ipod%20head%20unit

Larry made a change during/right after the upgrade and the /forum/ has to come out of the urls of old links, even profile links in chat.

Carry on.

edit : john's last link is the same, i just looked at the one at the top.

parsonsj
01-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Yes, you want the AV2 for an Ipod Touch. I actually tested with my son's Ipod Touch so I know it worked well. The face stays lit, and it charges the device too.

That's the other thing I found: it was nice to be able to tell people "Sure, let's connect your iPod and listen to your music".

jp

strtlegal
01-19-2011, 11:14 AM
You rock Jon...Thanks for your advice and taking the time to answer my questions...Now people are going to think Im the genious running my Ipod...hahahaha

Thanks again!

parsonsj
01-19-2011, 11:30 AM
You're welcome. That's what this site is all about. Report back with pictures when you have it working. :cheers:

jp

my72vette454
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
I played with my audio system in my vette a little last fall before winter set in. I have a pair of 6x9's in the back, speakers in the kick panels and upgraded dash speakers. When I built a new center section for the extra gauges for the turbo install, I lost room for a head unit. I always wondered why anybody would need a head unit these days anyway what with all the ipod/phone players. After reading John's post about his iphone hookup, I decided I had to try that. I didnt have an amp on my speakers so I went to wally world and bought a hundred dollar sony 4 channel amp and hooked the six speakers to it. Got a headphone to rca cable and a couple of splitters and plugged it all in. I used the gain control to set front to rear volume and all in all it sounds pretty darned good, tons of volume and the eq settings on my ipod touch work very good for a tone control. I would also be happy if someone made a small box o say the size of my roady 2 portable xm receiver, that could mount almost anywhere and had the capability of having am/fm/xm. I think that would be cool too. I also like the looks of that new "Mi-Mod" system that is out. If I got that I could maybe take all the gauges out and put a touch screen there and have all kinds of stuff. Ah technology!!

parsonsj
01-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Or... snag the XM Sirius app for your iPhone, and play that. I can listen to Pandora and MLB.com just fine while driving down the road.

jp

ssmike
01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Chuck, I going to be right behind you on this........so take some good pics for me!

strtlegal
01-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Yep will do...

I ordered the kick panels from Classic Audio, the 80 Watt Pioneers, Im ordering the Ipod adapters today. If I could find a cheap amp and decide on rear speakers I would order those right now. I think by the end of next week Ill have it all in and up in running..

Im not going to order that additional noise suppressor Jon ordered. I will try it out first. Im hoping that I dont have that issue.

I am thinking about making my Ipod mount to the dash since I was going to cut my dash out for a radio anyways plus its just a cheap Covans one anyways.

Any suggestion on an amp? No sub yet, just 6.5 fronts and 6.9 rear's.

strtlegal
01-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Oh and Jon I think you should sticky this.

strtlegal
01-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Jon where did you mount your amp? Im just making sure the cords coming from the Ipod are long enough to reach the amp..

Thanks

ssmike
01-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Yep will do...

I ordered the kick panels from Classic Audio, the 80 Watt Pioneers, Im ordering the Ipod adapters today.
Any suggestion on an amp? No sub yet, just 6.5 fronts and 6.9 rear's.

Chuck, can you send me the link to the kick panels you ordered....? Thanks

parsonsj
01-21-2011, 02:26 PM
I mounted my amp under the package tray. The output of the PAC AV2 is an RCA connector, so I just used an extension to make the connection.

jp

my72vette454
01-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Or... snag the XM Sirius app for your iPhone, and play that. I can listen to Pandora and MLB.com just fine while driving down the road.

jp

I just have an ipod touch right now but yeah, good idea! We bought our two boys (ages 14 and 16) each an ipod touch for Christmas and those things are freakin amazing, all the things you can do with them. I recorded one son's entire basketball game on his for him last night on his. After seeing all the things they will do I really want an i phone now.

FirstGenZq8
01-22-2011, 10:04 PM
slight thread divergence here...

i can't attest to the quality, but this might be an option for some of you. http://www.oxygenaudio.com/363-o-car.html

strtlegal
01-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Chuck, can you send me the link to the kick panels you ordered....? Thanks

It's from Custom Audio Sound...I just got them on Friday. Has some decent Pioneer speakers, Im not digging the black color they came with so Im going to flatten it out a tad.

I will post some pictures and do a small write up. I went to Best Buy yesterday to pick up some rear speakers. I would have bought my AMP then but everything in a 4 channel was around $200.00. Ill find one cheaper.

Thanks again guys

ssmike
04-27-2011, 01:43 PM
It's from Custom Audio Sound...I just got them on Friday. Has some decent Pioneer speakers, Im not digging the black color they came with so Im going to flatten it out a tad.

I will post some pictures and do a small write up. I went to Best Buy yesterday to pick up some rear speakers. I would have bought my AMP then but everything in a 4 channel was around $200.00. Ill find one cheaper.

Thanks again guys

Chuck:

Any update on your audio project?

1969sschevelle
05-04-2011, 08:38 AM
I am planning a similar installation and I have a dumb question:
My amp has a 12v power and another lug for what is usually the power antenna off of the head unit, but without a head unit how do you wire it up? I was planning on using a switch for the power, so do I just use a jumper from one lug to the other?

CRead01
05-04-2011, 02:03 PM
I am planning a similar installation and I have a dumb question:
My amp has a 12v power and another lug for what is usually the power antenna off of the head unit, but without a head unit how do you wire it up? I was planning on using a switch for the power, so do I just use a jumper from one lug to the other?

If you use a jumper from one to another the amp will stay on because the 12v power is directly to the battery. your best bet is to hook it up to either a key on 12v power source or that with a switch if you don't always want it on when the car is on.

1969sschevelle
05-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I will have to see if it is a key hot circuit, I was planning to use the circuit already in place normally used for the electric fuel pump, since I am mounting the amp in the trunk. (I installed a painless kit in my 69 chevelle.)
I was trying to avoid another long cable run to the battery. I already have too much stuff on the positive from the electric fans and the MSD box.

strtlegal
05-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Chuck:

Any update on your audio project?

Nope its been in paint jail...In a few weeks Ill get it wired up..I have a good grasp on it now..

ssmike
05-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Nope its been in paint jail...In a few weeks Ill get it wired up..I have a good grasp on it now..

angi1vwUkQc

andrewb70
11-23-2011, 07:23 PM
I know that there have been a number of threads that deal with the direct connection of an iPod with an amp. I've actually had this way back in 2002 when I hooked up my original iPod to my Xtant amp.

The problem is that the audio jack on an iPod of iPhone doesn't give a very powerful or for that matter clear signal to the amp. Couple that with the fact that mp3s aren't the best quality to begin with and the results can be a little lackluster.

One way to get the best quality out of an iPod is to take the digital output from the dock connecter and pass it through an external digital/analog converter (DAC). There are plenty of good head-units on the market that have built in DACs and high voltage RCA outputs for external amps. However, I really don't want to install a head-unit in my GTO so I am looking for other options.

Some previous posts suggested using this JL Audio device:

CL-RLC (http://www.jlaudio.com/cl-rlc-car-audio-system-expansion-98117###document^%60^%601019###)

It is basically a pre-amp that will take the fixed level input from the dock connector and send a solid 7 volts to an amp for a good clean signal. Nice.

Then I started looking around some something that might serve as a pre-amp AND an external DAC. I actually haven't been able to find exactly such a box for automotive use, but I did find this:

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/ido/index.php

That box will take the input from the dock connector of an iPod (or a computer for that matter), but in digital form, via a USB connector. It has a built in DAC, volume control, and a 2 volt RCA output for an external amp.

So aside from figuring out the required power input (it needs 6.5V, 2.3A DC) can anyone tell me why I can't use this in the car as a pre-amp and an external DAC?

Andrew

andrewb70
11-23-2011, 08:56 PM
I did some more digging around and I came across this product:

http://www.highresolutiontechnologies.com/istreamer/

It seems that the HRT iStreamer is the only DAC maker that is actually working with Apple. This is an external DAC that take the digital signal from the dock connector and sends it out via RCA cables. Since I do not have a head-unit, I would still need to use the JL audio CL-RLC as the pre-amp. I see no issue with doing that because the RLC will send a nice, clean, 7V signal to my amp.

The bonus is that the iStreamer can be used on home systems as well. I happen to like listening to Pandora from my old, g2 iPhone and this device should make it sound great through my old Adcom gear and Polk speakers.

Your comments and opinions are all welcome.

Andrew

Yelcamino
11-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Andrew, this probably isn't the direction you want to go, but for not a lot of money, this looks like a nice unit to easily integrate an ipod/iphone into an automotive sound system...

Sony DSX-s310btx (http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666372151&XID=O:sony%20dsx-s310btx:corp_mobaudfy11_gglsrch:e&k_id=1f58857f-dadf-a8e8-1b97-00003a5c3d0a#additionalImage1")

I have a Pioneer head unit in my Elky but it's about 10 years old and doesn't have any way to connect with an ipod/iphone. I was thinking about replacing it with a modern head unit and happened across this Sony unit in a Crutchfield catalog. I like the idea of inserting the ipod/iphone into the head unit so it's not bouncing around inside the car while you're driving.

andrewb70
11-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Andrew, this probably isn't the direction you want to go, but for not a lot of money, this looks like a nice unit to easily integrate an ipod/iphone into an automotive sound system...

Sony DSX-s310btx (http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666372151&XID=O:sony%20dsx-s310btx:corp_mobaudfy11_gglsrch:e&k_id=1f58857f-dadf-a8e8-1b97-00003a5c3d0a#additionalImage1")

I have a Pioneer head unit in my Elky but it's about 10 years old and doesn't have any way to connect with an ipod/iphone. I was thinking about replacing it with a modern head unit and happened across this Sony unit in a Crutchfield catalog. I like the idea of inserting the ipod/iphone into the head unit so it's not bouncing around inside the car while you're driving.

Thanks for the input and link Herb.

The problem is that I have a custom dash and there is no place for a head-unit, nor do I really want to make room. Here is my dashL

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/02/0304PHR_GTO07zoom-1.jpg

I like the clean look and I can easily install a little knob for volume control. The iStreamer looks like a really neat product and will really improve the quality of the playback from any "i" devices. Everywhere I read how crappy the onboard DAC is on all iPod devices. This really isn't surprising or a bad thing when the listening is done with earbud headphones. But when you start pumping the music through a good home or mobile system the onboard DAC and the minimal output strength of the phono jack become a huge limiting factor I think.

Andrew

Yelcamino
11-24-2011, 08:55 AM
No problem Andrew, just thought I'd throw it on the table.

Did you see this thread (https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?65584-iPod-connected-directly-to-an-amp&highlight=iPhone%2C+iPod)?

andrewb70
11-24-2011, 11:08 AM
No problem Andrew, just thought I'd throw it on the table.

Did you see this thread (https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?65584-iPod-connected-directly-to-an-amp&highlight=iPhone%2C+iPod)?

Yes, I did see that thread, but I am trying to "kick it up" a notch in terms of quality. I'll probably eventually merge this thread with that one, but I want to keep it separate for now to get some more feedback.

As I see it, the worst possible solution is connecting an iPod to an amp via the headphone jack. My amp actually is configurable to accept even the low voltage output of the iPod (30mV per channel), but the amp is not happy with that. On top of that, the headphone output is going through the crappy internal DAC and the signal is really optimized for playback through headphone, which I think kills the low end.

The second best alternative is to take the iPod output from the dock connector. This is how many factory and aftermarket headunits are now configured. The headunits act as the pre-amp and sometimes even as a DAC. I have read that some of the Apline and I am sure other makes, have a built in DAC that processes a pure digital signal from an iPod and then feeds a good quality, high voltage signal.

If I wanted to install one of these headunits, then that would solve my problem. but of course I have to do things the hard way...LOL

If I use the iStreamer, that will extract the best possible signal from an iPod, but since I don't have a headunit, I still need a pre-amps with a volume control. The CL-RLC seems to fill that void nicely and provide a clean 7.5 volt signal to my amp and give me volume control.

I think I have it all sorted in my head, but it just seems too simple, hence my post...LOL

Andrew

critter
11-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Hurry up and figure this out so I can copy what you do!

I'm looking at building a custom console and I want to incorporate a dock for either my iPhone or iPad.

andrewb70
11-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Hurry up and figure this out so I can copy what you do!

I'm looking at building a custom console and I want to incorporate a dock for either my iPhone or iPad.

Well, unfortunately I won't be able to test this out in my own car for a while.

Why don't you try it and see how it goes? The CL-RLC is only about 50 dollars. You can use it as a direct interface between the amp and the iPod. You will need a cable like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Audio-Input-iPod-Connector/dp/B000IZ8UCM/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1322239342&sr=8-44

Just make sure that it will work with the specific device that you plan to use. Many of these cables only seem to work with certain "i" products.

The iStreamer is optional but personally I feel that it would boost the quality of the overall system. It too is not very expensive, so maybe you can be the first to try it...:-)

Andrew

dontlifttoshift
11-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Assuming you can control your amp with an external volume knob like I can, how is the part you are looking at any differnt than a AV-iPD from Precision Interface Electronics? It converts the dock connector to RCA level audio and charges you I pod as well. I'm not an electronic type so I am asking if your proposal is better than what I am running.

Donny

andrewb70
11-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Assuming you can control your amp with an external volume knob like I can, how is the part you are looking at any differnt than a AV-iPD from Precision Interface Electronics? It converts the dock connector to RCA level audio and charges you I pod as well. I'm not an electronic type so I am asking if your proposal is better than what I am running.

Donny

Are you referring to the iStreamer?

Andrew

dontlifttoshift
11-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah, either the istreamer or the piece from nuforce. I guess, due to my ignorance in the elctronics field, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Are currently getting your sound from the headphone jack?

critter
11-25-2011, 01:32 PM
I might have to, Andrew. ;)

andrewb70
11-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah, either the istreamer or the piece from nuforce. I guess, due to my ignorance in the elctronics field, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Are currently getting your sound from the headphone jack?

Yes, currently I am taking the signal from the headphone jack and I am using my iPod as the pre-amp (volume control) and the music source.

After more reading, I don't believe that the Nuforce box will work because the volume control is only for the headphone port.

All digital media, be it on your iPod, iPhone, computer, or even on a CD store music information in digital format. That is, the music is in the form of a sequence of 1s and 0s aka binary. In order for the binary information to be heard by our ears, it must be converted into analog (wave) form. This conversion from digital to analog is handled by a device very creatively named a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC).

On portable devices, such as an iPod, the DAC function is on an integrated circuit or chip. While this is OK for listening to music on headphones, there is a definite loss in quality. In order to take advantage of an iPods portability, but enhance the sound quality we can use a device, like the iStreamer, to make playback more dynamic and musical. The iStreamer functions as an external DAC with better circuitry as compared to the built-in DAC on an iPod.

If the iStreamer is used with an amp there is no way to adjust the volume, because the digital signal from an iPod is fixed and the iPod can no longer control the volume. The CL-RLC performs the pre-amp function and it sends a high voltage signal to the amp.

Unless I am missing something, this set-up should work amazingly well and not require a headunit, which is what's driving me to this solution in the first place.

Andrew

andrewb70
11-25-2011, 02:40 PM
I just merged my external DAC thread with the iPod to external amp thread. All comments on my external DAC idea are welcome.

Andrew

dontlifttoshift
11-25-2011, 03:19 PM
So the music coming from the headphone Jack is converted internally. Got it. What signal
comes out of the dock port? Digital or analog? I'm assuming it is analog That was also already converted from digital.....

Did some digging and it appears that the dock port outputs both digital and analog signals.

dontlifttoshift
11-25-2011, 03:46 PM
This guy says there isn't much difference between the two. Take from it what you will. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/77343-iphone-3gs-unloaded-headphone-out-measurements.html

andrewb70
11-25-2011, 03:55 PM
So the music coming from the headphone Jack is converted internally. Got it. What signal
comes out of the dock port? Digital or analog? I'm assuming it is analog That was also already converted from digital.....

Did some digging and it appears that the dock port outputs both digital and analog signals.

I believe that the dock can send out either a digital or analog signal. The makers of iStreamer have been working with Apple to extract the digital signal so that it can be processed through their DAC circuitry.

Andrew

andrewb70
11-27-2011, 09:30 AM
I ordered the iStreamer. Right now it will be used on my home stereo, but I will definitely be trying it out in the car next summer. I will report on the results for the home stereo. I see no reason why it won't respond in a similar way with a good car system.

Andrew

andrewb70
11-29-2011, 08:37 PM
I got the iStreamer today and I can say that it makes a noticeable difference when installed in my home stereo. The sound just opens up and is more dynamic. It can be powered off a USB port so any of the little USM cigarette lighter adapters should work just fine. This isn't really a super inexpensive solution. Some of the head units on the market have their own built in DACs are are probably the same price as the iStreamer. Still, this is a very good solution if anyone doesn't want or doesn't have room for a headunit.

Andrew

Payton King
11-30-2011, 06:28 AM
I am a llittle late to this party, but I have heard lots of good things on the Audison Bit one. It is a processor as well and may be way beyond what anyone wants to do but here is a link.

http://caraudiomag.com/articles/audison-bit-one-processor

andrewb70
11-30-2011, 07:14 AM
I am a llittle late to this party, but I have heard lots of good things on the Audison Bit one. It is a processor as well and may be way beyond what anyone wants to do but here is a link.

http://caraudiomag.com/articles/audison-bit-one-processor

Interesting box. Looks like it would be great for fine tuning. It is also a thousand bucks...LOL I read through the manual and I wasn't exactly convinced that it can take a digital source from an iPod. It can process an optical link from headunits that have such output, but the iPod input is shown as RCA, which to me says that it does not perform the DAC function for iPods. The manual wasn't 100% clear on this point. This box would be awesome for tuning a system with multiple amps and where the preservation of the factory headunit is important.

For my needs, the JL CL-RLC will work as the pre-amp, since I have no need to integrate any other input sources.

Andrew

andrewb70
05-12-2012, 09:27 AM
I wanted to give everyone an update with regards to the iStreamer. I had a chance to visit my GTO and go on a little road trip to RTOS.

As a reminder, my previous system used the headphone jack from my iPhone and fed that directly to my Xtant amp. This worked OK, but I wanted something better.

I picked up an iStreamer, which is an external DAC, and have used in with great results on my home system. The iStreamer is powered via USB so it is easy to implement in the car. It requires a cigarette lighter adapter that is capable of 2.1amps, which is the same as for an iPad.

So my iStreamer powered via a USB adapter and it takes input from my iPhone via the dock connector. The iStreamer charges the phone while also providing a high quality DAC function. The output of the iStreamer is then fed to the CL-RLC, which essentially functions as the pre-amp. The CL-RLC has a high quality 7v output that is then fed to the amp. I had to change the input gain jumpers on my amp to accommodate the higher voltage signal and then re-tune the gains.

The end result was pretty dramatic. The iStreamer really improves the depth of sound and clarity as compared to the built-in DAC on the iPhone which is really only designed for use with ear-bud headphones. The volume is controlled by a little knob which comes off the CL-RLC and can be mounted almost anywhere. I will eventually mount it in my dash, but the wiper switch, where it won't even be visible.

Andrew

1offboy
05-13-2012, 08:10 PM
You can also use an iSimple IS76PRO that gives you rca outputs for your amp, charges your iphone,ipad and ipod plus a video rca out so you can view your video media if you decide to add a monitor. You pair it a PAC volume control ann you are in bussiness

zombiekiller
05-23-2012, 06:50 AM
I am about to install the kicker pxi50.2 unit. It is designed for boats/lawnmowers/PWCs, BUT it will work on any 12v system and it has mega low power draw. It comes with a controls pad that is backlit. It is only a 50wx2, but i am using the preamp out to push my speakers and sub through a 5 channel amp ( 6x9s and 5.25 speakers plus a 10" sub) .

I'll post up a review after I get it in and cranking. I'm in the midst of rewiring the entire car, so it may be a bit.

http://www.kicker.com/pxi502

parsonsj
05-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Wow, that Kicker part looks ideal. A 12v amp designed to connect to an iPod/Phone/Pad with differential power filtering. If it works as advertised, it's perfect.

zombiekiller
05-23-2012, 09:23 AM
I'll post up a review of it once it's installed. I scored it for $199 with free shipping. I got it because I never, ever listen to normal radio, all my music is on an ipod or iphone, i use pandora and spotify heavily and my alternative was using a 4 year old 1st gen ipod control aftermarket head unit.

my car will have minimum security on it as far as protecting the contents. This also gives me the ability to not have a visible radio to entice a potential thief, cuts down on dash/console real estate and lowers my power draw. I'll also have the ability to just stream spotify or pandora, without having to engineer how the pass through happens. I can also always plug another source into the thing ( i.e. android, etc) if necessary.

I'm thinking that i may hard mount the pad in my console and use one of the late 60s mustang astray " roll top" type covers to be able to completely conceal it easily. We'll see what sort of ideas i get when i hit the junkyard and start scouring.

andrewb70
05-24-2012, 06:24 AM
I am about to install the kicker pxi50.2 unit. It is designed for boats/lawnmowers/PWCs, BUT it will work on any 12v system and it has mega low power draw. It comes with a controls pad that is backlit. It is only a 50wx2, but i am using the preamp out to push my speakers and sub through a 5 channel amp ( 6x9s and 5.25 speakers plus a 10" sub) .

I'll post up a review after I get it in and cranking. I'm in the midst of rewiring the entire car, so it may be a bit.

http://www.kicker.com/pxi502

The Kicker box does look like a pretty neat solution. It looks like it is designed more like an integrated amp with built in pre-amp functionality. The iStreamer will still offer better sound quality because of the external DAC function, but if you are mostly streaming Pandora, you probably won't be able to tell the difference because the Pandora stream is is only 64kbit/s.

Andrew

zombiekiller
05-30-2012, 05:37 PM
The Kicker box does look like a pretty neat solution. It looks like it is designed more like an integrated amp with built in pre-amp functionality. The iStreamer will still offer better sound quality because of the external DAC function, but if you are mostly streaming Pandora, you probably won't be able to tell the difference because the Pandora stream is is only 64kbit/s.

Andrew

I listen to the majority of my music on vinyl ( wife is a singer, we're huge fans of less than popular 50s-60s soul ), so the term "hi-fi" is relative. I won't be opting for any record breaking clarity or loudness. Just need it to be loud enough to overpower the exhaust :)

andrewb70
06-01-2012, 05:59 AM
I listen to the majority of my music on vinyl ( wife is a singer, we're huge fans of less than popular 50s-60s soul ), so the term "hi-fi" is relative. I won't be opting for any record breaking clarity or loudness. Just need it to be loud enough to overpower the exhaust :)

Dave,

I think the Kicker box is a great option. I really like the control pad with the big buttons for volume control, etc...I also like that it has RCA outs so that more amps can be added to the system.

Andrew

67gtonut
08-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Wow..... glad I read this thread till the end.....

I am a stereo idiot..... So bear with me.....

Not looking to have a crazy audio system...... just trying to get some music in the GTO without breaking the bank or getting complicated.....

This Kicker box..... Ipod connects to box..... and from there...... just wire 2 rear speakers...... and basicaly ...... I am done?

andrewb70
08-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Wow..... glad I read this thread till the end.....

I am a stereo idiot..... So bear with me.....

Not looking to have a crazy audio system...... just trying to get some music in the GTO without breaking the bank or getting complicated.....

This Kicker box..... Ipod connects to box..... and from there...... just wire 2 rear speakers...... and basicaly ...... I am done?

Preferably front speakers, but yes, that is all you do...

Andrew

67gtonut
08-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Thank you......
This will make life very easy.....

hag6888
11-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Kicker. Makes one now

raf0419
01-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Just want to give a big thumbs up and thank you to John, Andrew and the other contributors to this thread. I had been considering this very issue and found all of the information I needed here. Andrew addressing the DAC info was crucial as this had been the very obstacle I was trying to overcome. The Kicker solution is great as well, and offers a compact easy to use remote. Decision time - sound quality vs ease of use and installation......

My only regret was not reading the sticky months ago! Still wiring the car and hope to have it on the road by spring.

andrewb70
01-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Just want to give a big thumbs up and thank you to John, Andrew and the other contributors to this thread. I had been considering this very issue and found all of the information I needed here. Andrew addressing the DAC info was crucial as this had been the very obstacle I was trying to overcome. The Kicker solution is great as well, and offers a compact easy to use remote. Decision time - sound quality vs ease of use and installation......

My only regret was not reading the sticky months ago! Still wiring the car and hope to have it on the road by spring.

Glad to be of help. Please let us know what you plan for the rest of the system.

I also want to add the following link that I saw in a thread that Larry started:

http://www.daqstuff.com/400116_5volt_switching_power_supply.htm

Looks like a great way to integrate a USB port into older vehicles.

Andrew

Nicks67GTO
04-18-2013, 03:01 AM
I'll post up a review of it once it's installed. I scored it for $199 with free shipping. I got it because I never, ever listen to normal radio, all my music is on an ipod or iphone, i use pandora and spotify heavily and my alternative was using a 4 year old 1st gen ipod control aftermarket head unit.

my car will have minimum security on it as far as protecting the contents. This also gives me the ability to not have a visible radio to entice a potential thief, cuts down on dash/console real estate and lowers my power draw. I'll also have the ability to just stream spotify or pandora, without having to engineer how the pass through happens. I can also always plug another source into the thing ( i.e. android, etc) if necessary.

I'm thinking that i may hard mount the pad in my console and use one of the late 60s mustang astray " roll top" type covers to be able to completely conceal it easily. We'll see what sort of ideas i get when i hit the junkyard and start scouring.

Any updates? Anyone used this Kicker unit with success?

XLexusTech
06-01-2013, 04:49 AM
Can the ISTREAMER be used without a head Unit?

andrewb70
06-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Can the ISTREAMER be used without a head Unit?

Yes, but you will need this:

http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-CL-RLC/dp/B001UDQ1VI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370093585&sr=1-1&keywords=CL-RLC

to function as the pre amp and for volume control.

Andrew

XLexusTech
06-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Thanks Andrew~! last question... is their such a thing as
A super thin radio receiver perhaps like 1 inch thick or less?
could I use the Istreamer with a Bluetooth module?

Thanks for you help.. i haven't gotten to audio yet but I am doing alot of work on my dash right now and was looking for options. The only radios i saw were all "Double Din" whatever that means.. then looked about 2 inches which is too much for me to fit my vintage Air + gauges and keep the ashtray...

andrewb70
06-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks Andrew~! last question... is their such a thing as
A super thin radio receiver perhaps like 1 inch thick or less?
could I use the Istreamer with a Bluetooth module?

Thanks for you help.. i haven't gotten to audio yet but I am doing alot of work on my dash right now and was looking for options. The only radios i saw were all "Double Din" whatever that means.. then looked about 2 inches which is too much for me to fit my vintage Air + gauges and keep the ashtray...

I am not aware of any small headunits like that. Most radios are either single DIN, which are about 2 inches thick and the double DIN ones are the super tall ones (ugh...twice the size...LOL).

I am not sure why you would want to use any sort of bluetooth device with the iStreamer. The whole point of using the iStreamer is to take the pure digital signal from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad, perform a high quality digital to analog conversion, and send a clean powerful signal to the amp.

Andrew

vette427-sbc
08-23-2013, 10:22 AM
I have both of the popular options mentioned here in 2 different cars so I figure some people may want to hear my opinion on both back to back...
First car is my '69 vette.
I have the iSimple IS76 going to the JL volume knob/pre-amp into the Kicker PX100.2. This feeds 2 Infinity 2ohm 6.5 component speakers in the kick panels with the tweeters in the dash.
I chose the kicker amp simply because it was tiny, light weight and used very little power.
The sound quality is OK. I was really expecting it to be a little more "full" sounding. But, the car has sidepipes and is really not too quiet inside anyway, so it doesnt really bother me. Ive heard great things about the infinity speakers so this leads me to believe its the amp that is lacking in the sound quality department.

The other car is a '55 Chevy. Just 2 6x9 4 way speakers out back (forget the brand) and a memphis audio 400X4 amp. Current setup is just an RCA to headphone jack right to an ipod. Honestly, the system as it is kicks ass. It has tons of clean bass and sharp highs.
But, I dont like the ipod right to the amp setup, so I picked up the HRT iStreamer and another JL audio control. Those will be installed within the next few days and Im really interested to see what kind of difference the iStreamer will make on a setup that IMO already sounds pretty damn good.

And as a side note, I was going to run the iSimple IS76 and the JL volume control with a bluetooth adapter plugged into the iSimple so I could just hide everything and do all my music via BT and have no wires or plugs, but the iSimple seems like it wouldnt supply enough power to the BT adapter to get it to power up so that idea was scrapped.

vette427-sbc
08-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Got the iStreamer in and all I can say is WOW. There is a significant difference in sound quality. Incredible clarity and full range of sound.
Used a flush mount USB extension to mount in this new control panel in the center console with the volume knob, a 12v socket and a switch to turn the amp/iStreamer/JL control when the car is off. (sorry for the crappy cell pic)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/08/null_zps02639f82-1.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/vette427sbc/media/1955%20Chevy%20Hardtop/null_zps02639f82.jpg.html)

And the units under the dash
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/08/null_zpsb72d1a71-1.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/vette427sbc/media/1955%20Chevy%20Hardtop/null_zpsb72d1a71.jpg.html)

I think Im going to have to replace my iSimple IS76 in the corvette with the iStreamer. Its that much better.

andrewb70
08-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Chris,

I am glad that the iStreamer worked as well for you as it did for me.

Andrew

scott_fx
09-04-2013, 11:11 PM
i have one of these:
http://theauris.com/
I have it hooked up to a tube amp in my house (for when i just want to stream stuff) and i have to admit... the sound is the best bluetooth I've heard. The sound doesn't sound compressed or modulated like it does with other units... and it is very resonable. If you're going the ipod route, i'd seriously consider this. Also, something else you guys should check out are the amps over at parts express... not the car amps but the 'sure' amps. They get amazing reviews and have an external volume knob you can mount anywhere. You may be a bit gun shy because they aren't 'name brands' like alpine, audison, zapco, etc... but for a classic car with loud exhaust... cam... suspension... etc... you'd be throwing your money away with anything super high end. But like i said, the reviews are pretty impressive. Definitely something I'm exploring in my next build