PDA

View Full Version : Power steering cooler and/or underdrive pulley?

asifnyc
02-19-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm going to be doing some track days with the Javelin this year and want to do something about power steering fluid temps. I have a cooler I'm about to install (see pic) but wanted to check what people who've been down this road before suggest. I assume the issue is that high RPM's turn the PS pump a lot faster and generate a lot of heat. So the cooler addresses the heat. But the pump will still be turning at a high RPM for sustained periods. Couldn't this be addressed with an underdrive pulley on the PS pump? Would you want both a cooler and a pulley OR would a pulley be enough or is the cooler all you need and pump speed is a non-issue?

Rod
02-19-2010, 03:50 PM
I used a small cooler on the radiator support with its own air flow hole and I added the raybestos magnafine filter to keep the fluid clean, the whole set up works great and no over heating yet in 8 months of scca track days :cheers:+

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/02/GEDC0529-1.jpg

CarlC
02-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Going too large on the pulley may not allow sufficient fluid volume at low speeds.

asifnyc
02-19-2010, 09:50 PM
thanks for the input guys... sounds like I can just move forward with the small cooler and call it done.

68sixspeed
02-20-2010, 07:21 PM
actually look at your z06 for a cooler-- it's a nice mini-radiator design, you can get similar aftermarket units too. I put one of those on my c5 it works well (I was overheating fluid at the track), I have the Jegs tranny cooler one on my camaro, it's an extruded aluminum type, I'm not as big of a fan as it seems restrictive compared to what is in the vettes.

asifnyc
02-20-2010, 09:58 PM
I have a cooler already (click on the small attached pic in the original post to see it mocked up). I was just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and finish the cooler install or if using an underdrive pulley on the PS pump was a better option OR if both were a good option. based on rusty68's response I'm just going to finish installing the cooler.

bret
02-21-2010, 05:23 AM
We used to have that same problem. Solved it with a new pump from Turn One. http://www.turnone-steering.com/pumpdirectory.html