PDA

View Full Version : Hotchkis Suspension Issue

72elco
02-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Hey guys

So I have a 72 Elco that has global west upper and lower arms and hotchkis 1" drop springs. I have a complete hotchkis rear end system.

Obviously Stance is a huge part in any car and right now as it sits, it should really be dropped another inch up front at least. My question is should I order some 2" drop spindles and see where it takes me? should I order new spings and spindles? Cut the hotchkis springs? I am sure I am not the only one to run into this situation.
The car currently has 17x8 up front, eventually i want to put 18x9's up there. Will this be a problem with drop spindles?

thanks for the help guys!

ProdigyCustoms
02-17-2010, 05:27 AM
The Hotchkis springs do settle over a couple weeks. Driving helps speed up the settling process if it runs and drives.

IF you at full weight in the front, fully dressed, it has sat a couple weeks, and it is still high, I would trim a quarter rung off the spring and try that.

Keep in mind, the factyory had 19 different coil springs for various combinations, the after market has 2, small or big. You cannot expect the after market to make 19 springs. Also keep in mind the advertised drop in a spring is from stock height which is really high, and often old orginal springs are worn and saging and may be lower then the advertised drop spring. We see this quite often.

About the wheels / tires. 18 X 9s are probably going to rub on the inside a bit at full lock to lock steering. But as long as you run a 5.75" to 6" BS, you will protect the outer tire to fender profile

Yoda4561
02-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Drop spindles can comprimise handling characteristics. Just let it settle in for a few weeks, then cut (not with a torch, that'll soften the springs and defeat the whole point of getting performance ones) a bit off until they're at a good ride height. A small cut on the spring results in a proportionally larger drop, so don't cut off a whole coil the first time around.

72elco
02-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys

The spings have been on the car for about 8 months with about 500 miles on them. I think i may need to lower an inch or so.

Thanks again for the info guys. Hopefully I get to it this weekend, swapping an intake and plugs also.