PDA

View Full Version : Getting hold of a stock car?

CptKlutz
02-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Hey, after Daytona I took up the old idea of getting hold of a Sprint or Nationwide car as a fun track toy. I don't like the CoT so an older detuned Ford bodied car, passenger seat, road course setup and I'm off. I see cars out there on racingjunk.com once in a while, but I was wondering if anyone here had a better source for this? I'm guessing that an oval car needs quite a bit of setup work to get to turn both ways or are they even the same parts? Hints and tips, what to look out for, sources, where to get tires, who can handle setup work etc. all welcome!

LateNight72
02-16-2010, 12:18 AM
An oval car is going to require major fabrication work to get it to turn both ways equally.

Looking for a Road Course car is going to be your only real option. They pop up on eBay every now and then also. There are some liquidation outlets who sell used Nascar parts and pieces who may have a whole car from time to time.

Charley Lillard
02-16-2010, 07:00 AM
I have a Tony Stewart Home depot car. They are great bang for the buck, easy to drive and you feel safe in them. Try Gene Felton http://www.genefeltonrestorations.com/ Have Gene set you up with a done car.

Scott Parkhurst
02-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Another pal of mine also has a Gene Felton ex-NASCAR road course car, and he's happy with it as well. It's the wise way to get one of these cars, since you know they've been 'restored' by someone competent.

JayR
02-16-2010, 08:43 AM
One of my buddies took a couple ex Cup cars to Bonneville and they pass tech with flying colors which is hard to do at Bonneville and they go well over 200 all day long. He sold a Ford that went 235 for under $20 grand and got a Dodge that he tweaked for max aero and went 250 with it. Good times!

novaderrik
02-16-2010, 04:14 PM
i think the ARCA series is where most of the usable Cup cars wind up.

showa
02-16-2010, 08:36 PM
My neighbor bought an old roller trans am style tube car with old style t bird body on ebay.... Last ran 20 years ago... He's building everything back up for a track day car... Figures to have around 20- 30g in it when done...

showa
02-16-2010, 08:39 PM
I think it would be easier to turn right/left in some of the Late model class short track cars like they run on more local type series... I knew a couple guys who would run oval with occasional road course time too...

shortrack
02-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Racingjunk is a great place.....that's where I got mine....you ll spend a lot less if you go with a 105" Busch car as opposed to a 110" Cup car.....do you want turn($$) key? or a roller with your motor and trans and do some of the work yourself

as far as the oval cars.....you ll have to get rid of the cambered rear end housing if it has one....the intermediate car is the best to get if you cant get a road race car.....if you buy it from a shop see if they will put a "road race set up" in the car before you pick it up......be worth asking....I spoke at length about this subject with the manufacture of my car (Hutch Pagan) and the big thing is the rear housing, you ll have to put a "straight up" or a road race cambered rear in...... the left front will have to mirror the right front (easy for a shop to do)......the road race cars have the trac bar turned around, left side now mounts on the right, right on the left (not really necessary unless your running for points)..they mount the battery and the dry sump tank on the right instead of the left in a RR car, equal lead left and right......check out my build thread....there's a bunch of stuff in there

Gene Felton....nice stuff, bring money

CptKlutz
02-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Lots of good info, thanks! Felton looks good but probably fairly expensive too? Has all the right names on the cars but I don't care much about that. I want the car for what it CAN do and not for what it HAS done. :) I was thinking of getting a running car and have a reputable shop go over it as far as setup goes, then do the details myself.

What do you all do for tires? Run real Goodyear racing slicks or something less radical? Source for them?
Do you run a full-on NASCAR engine or a detuned version for longevity?

tellyv
02-17-2010, 06:11 AM
most local late model type cars are offset chassis everything hangs to the left, cup style cars are perimiter chassis which are built straight up so they do better on a road coarse, The old remax cars were also built this way but still had a late model rear suspension not the truck arms so it would probably be a better setup and should be very cheep but I'm sure it would be easier to find an artca or old bush car.

wendell
02-17-2010, 07:03 AM
If you're looing for a "stock car" for track days, the best deals out there are ASA cars. Built by Howe with perimeter chassis and three links in the back. LS1 engines. Can't beat 'em for the price.

shortrack
02-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Lots of good info, thanks! Felton looks good but probably fairly expensive too? Has all the right names on the cars but I don't care much about that. I want the car for what it CAN do and not for what it HAS done. :) I was thinking of getting a running car and have a reputable shop go over it as far as setup goes, then do the details myself.

What do you all do for tires? Run real Goodyear racing slicks or something less radical? Source for them?
Do you run a full-on NASCAR engine or a detuned version for longevity?

I'll be running the Hooiser 1080 15x10" wide bias ply slick for track days (they're the ones pictured in my build thread).....I get them for a good price, all I want for free from a local Outlaw Late Model racer who likes to run up front....none of them have any more than 40 laps around a 1/4 mi/ 1/2mi track....approx 80% life left.....nothing saying I couldn't contact the Goodyear Racing Tire outlet and get the Radial slicks the Cup guys use but I know they're about $450 US each. Does anyone in your area run these type of cars?.....if they do get to know them.....Google for the Goodyear, Hoosier, Avon? distributors in your area....I suppose if you wanted I could ship you some....we'd have to work something out to cover my time plus shipping PM me

As for the motor in my low buck approach I'll start out with a 300hp 350 I have laying around and a street T-10....that will get the car up and running......I'll go for the bullet later, but even that will be a pump gas motor......I don't have a rulebook so I'm thinking a big inch small block.....a 750hp sb2 can be had quite reasonably but they require race gas which around here is approx $20/gal.....Sunoco prem is about $5/gal.....Id sooner flog the living daylights out of something kinda low buck/low tech rather than have some really fast xpensive piece that I'm afraid to hang out in the turns and afraid to red line lap after lap

In the end as always its all about $$

John Wright
02-17-2010, 09:41 AM
http://www.genefeltonrestorations.com/examples_martin_ff_aaa_6.html

Charley Lillard
02-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Contact Gene. He is a good guy and a accomplished driver. My Stewart car was under 50K. Can't build it for that.

shortrack
02-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Contact Gene. He is a good guy and a accomplished driver. My Stewart car was under 50K. Can't build it for that.

is it a roadrace car?.....what drive train?.....do you have to play a lot with the set up?

post pics....that would be great!

Charley Lillard
02-18-2010, 07:23 AM
It is short track car converted to road course. 358" 18 degree headed, 700plus hp, Tex Racing 4 speed. I have only had it out twice so far but easy to drive and feels very safe.

shortrack
02-18-2010, 08:14 AM
It is short track car converted to road course. 358" 18 degree headed, 700plus hp, Tex Racing 4 speed. I have only had it out twice so far but easy to drive and feels very safe.

Sweeeeet.....
mind if I ask about 50 questions......haha

vintageracer
02-18-2010, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=CptKlutz;635843]Lots of good info, thanks! Felton looks good but probably fairly expensive too? QUOTE]

Gene is CHEAP for all the knowledge and talent he has in setting up a Cup Car for roadracing. Spend a weekend at a HSR or HSR West vintage weekend with the stock car guys to learn what it REALLY is all about.

There are LOT'S of CHEAP Cup cars available and LOT'S of CHEAP Cup parts available. There is NO cheap/knowledgable labor available. With Gene you are BUYING the knowlege to make it all work and come together. Using Gene will be quicker, cheaper, easier and you will have a car that will have the capability to FAR outperform your driving capabilities.

Lowend
02-18-2010, 09:11 AM
http://www.canepa.com/

specifically
http://www.canepacollection.com/detail-1992-oldsmobile-terry_labonte-nascar_winston_cup_car-5121638.html

premium motorsports
02-24-2015, 06:10 AM
Check out premium motorsports on Facebook I have worked for the cup teams since the mid 90s out here in Morresville nc for the past 4 years I have been selling working and maintaining old cup cars.I sell tires,trannys build shocks everything you need.If in the area come check me out or give me a call 704-881-1106 ask for Brent

Matman3
02-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Retired Cup, Nationwide, Truck and ARCA cars are readily available here in Concord, NC. There are shops decicated to selling used NASCAR cars and parts. Two of the better ones are 2nd Chance Motorsports and Roush Used Parts. I was at both last weekend. 2nd Chances 7-8 Cup cars as well as a truck. The truck was $4000 minus engine, trans, gear and seat. COT Cup car was $7500. Roush had a 2010 Cup car in the $8000 range. Craigslist is also great for cars too. Here's a link:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4904801617.html

BMR Sales
02-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Go with Gene Felton!

vintageracer
02-24-2015, 08:59 AM
As the old saying goes:

"Yesterdays race car is today's bargain"!

Maybe????

TheJDMan
02-24-2015, 10:35 AM
I second Roush used parts they liquidate all the old race parts and cars. They have a big used parts warehouse in Mooresville next door to JRI shocks and not too far from DSE. This place is like a big candy store to a car guy. I purchased a surplus 9" center section from them to run in my Camaro. The day I was there they where loading up two surplus cup cars they had just sold to a new owner.

http://www.roushyatesparts.com/Used-Racing-Products-s/108.htm

2nd Chance Race Parts is just down the street from Roush used parts by maybe three or four minutes. They always have a wide selection of parts and cars for sale.

http://2ndchanceraceparts.com/

Hendrick Motorsports also has a big "Raced Parts" division at their compound in Concord but they do not have a web page or even advertise their used parts. You have to contact Hendrick Motorsports and ask for Mark Anderson, he is in charge of all the surplus equipment sales. I'm not supposed to give out his direct phone number but you can call the main 800-927-7821 number I think they can transfer you.

Ghiaguy
03-02-2015, 09:22 AM
A friend picked up two cars after a race at one the sprint car road courses == they were back up cars and one had zero miles -- pretty sweet deals -- they were Ford bodies and he ruined them by putting Chevy engines in them -- but he then turned them and after they were complete and made a few bucks

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2015/03/photobucket57631350665631417-1.jpg (http://s586.photobucket.com/user/Fiatdude/media/photobucket-5763-1350665631417.jpg.html)

Goodale Engineering
07-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Digging up this old thread, I have a road course 2001 Ford Taurus roller for sale. Car has been completely gone through. Originally an intermediate car, converted to road course duty. Freshly painted, add a seat, engine/trans, and go racing. It's a Ronnie Hopkins Winston Cup 110" wheelbase car, originally run by Shawna Robinson for Michael Kranefuss.

shortrack
07-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Facebook "Nascar Cars And Parts For Sale" great deals